Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Sugar free questions

1. NrseJessie
    NrseJessie
    So, I'm on day 10 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. In my original instructions I was told sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, etc. And, I'm seeing people give the same instructions here for post op. My question is...is the small amount of sugar in these things that detrimental? Don't get me wrong, I'm following instructions. I'm just curious the effects of regular jello vs sugar free jello.
  2. Pam G
    Pam G
    theres not a 'small amount' of sugar in regular jello and popsicles....
  3. garyshoe
    garyshoe
    The sugar free popsicles I eat are 15 calories a piece so not a huge amount. Don't know about jello, but I would stick with the sugar free popsicles - there are two types - regular (orange, grape and cherry) or tropical (orange-mango, cherry, mixed berry and pineapple) I am partial to the tropical flavored ones.
  4. garyshoe
    garyshoe
    the cherry-mixed berry are a tropical flavor as is the orange-mango and pineapple. Very tasty!!!
  5. Ann2
    Ann2
    Uh ... you may not appreciate this now, but post op, if you're like most sleeved patients, you'll start to experience how sugar makes you crave more sugar.

You will surely want to maximize your post-op honeymoon weight loss period -- typically 6-12 months -- during which time you'll lose weight faster than you ever will again. In your whole life.

But more importantly, since you're now on a pre-op diet the only reason for that diet is to shrink your liver by ridding your liver of all the glycogen you possibly can so the liver will also rapidly lose the nearly 8 pounds of water it needs to store glycogen. The reason for doing that is so that your surgeon will run a lower risk of tearing or otherwise injuring your liver during surgery. Because you're a nurse you know how close the liver is to your stomach and that it's almost wrapped around the stomach.

So no, you want to be avoiding ALL sugar at this point because it just turns into glycogen and will reduce the liver shrinkage your surgeon is hoping for. See above.
  6. Sandra3
    Sandra3
    Exactly what Ann said! I had a really big fatty liver and did my own diet for a few weeks, then two weeks of liquid with one dinner. No sugar at all! Only my protein shakes twice a day, then in the evening one protein with veggies (low carb indeed). I'm not crazy about the low carb approach but for pre-op it's not negotiable. You will have plenty of time post-op to have little sweets (in moderation) fruits are the best option indeed. But pre-op just follow your guideline. My surgeon's team actually even recommended to stay away form artificial sweetener as well during pre-op, and they don't advice low carbs diet post-op!!....