Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Contemplating the Sleeve...

1. trwilson75
    trwilson75
    So, I have been doing the research and submitted my medical history and have been approved.. now I just need to set a date...
    As most of you, I'm a little nervous. I've had several surgeries in my lifetime for medical issues not related to weight - so I'm not nervous for the surgery itself, but as you can imagine, my family is a little leary that I want to go to TJ for this... but the price is definitely way better! My daughter made a comment about crossing the boarder and then getting kidnapped into one of those sex slave rings.. LOL I think she was serious - so it had me concerned..lol
    Were any of you nervous about the choice to cross the boarder to do this? Just need some peace of mind.. I want this soo badly.. I'm about 80 lbs over weight... which doesn't seem like much probably to anyone that was much more than that - but I have struggled with my weight my entire life.. no matter how i exercise or how I eat.. I just need some help and I'm hoping the sleeve will help me stay at an average weight... because of my weight my breasts are 42DDD and they are killing me.. I'm only 5'1" and so you can imagine I'm basically a fat girl that is all boobs.. LOL how was the pre-op diet and post-op diet? I have seen the requirements... a little nervous about that.. but I can do it! Read a lot about the first week being the hardest with a lot of gas pains.. .
    Okay. I rambled.. any good input to ease my nerves would be great!
  2. p.charles
    p.charles
    I didn't have a negative experience at all. I felt safe, everyone was helpful and friendly. Pre-op diet is challenging but as long as you set your eyes on the prize yoi'll get through it. You do get really bad gaa pain afterwards. It's the worst. I'd never been so relieved to pass gas in all my life. Overall, I felt safe and in good hands.
  3. Jacobcat
    Jacobcat
    I had my surgery September 2014...absolutely no problems...best thing I ever did...and felt totally safe in TJ...even went shopping two days post op...only regret is not doing it sooner...
  4. Cyndy-loo
    Cyndy-loo
    I had my surgery 2 years ago last May and went from just over 200 pounds to 112. I love my life now and don't regret getting the sleeve. I gained an incredible amount of confidence, quit my high paying job and am now a fitness instructor, personal trainer and writer. I finally feel like I am the person I was always meant to be. The people took care of me and I did not want for anything. Yes I did feel safe the whole time.
  5. zoey101
    zoey101
    I feel your pain and I was once in the same boat but now I am free and LOVE not lugging all that weight around. I only wanted to lose 60lbs. but ended up losing 70 which is fine. I had mine done in TJ and the boarder was not an issue whatsoever because the boarder police know why there is a van of overweight people going back and forth and honestly we got in and out very quickly at least on my trip. I can understand your Family being worried, mine was too but everything went pretty perfectly for me so God was watching over me. Just think about how many hundreds of Americans cross each and every day of the week for some sort of surgery, dental work or even to go have a fun night on the town or go shopping and ask yourself have you heard of anything happening to them, I haven't so I think your pretty safe. You can always bring someone with you if that makes you and them feel better as there is always safety in numbers but I went alone and honestly that type of thing was the last thing on my mind. I was more concerned about having a leak or something going wrong with the surgery but a year and almost a half later I sit here with absolutely no issues from surgery other than weight loss. I wish you the very best of luck and honestly don't worry about that at all it was very safe.
  6. Pattimelt
    Pattimelt
    Hi TR, I'm seriously considering the gastric sleeve also, with a preliminary date of April 19, 2017. I share many of your apprehensions and concerns. Will I get a leak? My husband thinks I am going to die! I actually feel very calm and peaceful now that I've made my decision to have the surgery. Not looking forward to the postoperative procedures and pain, etc., but excited to begin a new life at 59! I too have been overweight and obese almost my whole life. Fortunately, I know several people who have been to Dr. Almanza, and they all have had wonderful outcomes, so I'm very encouraged all will go well and I will be fine. You too! Keep us posted on your status! Patti
  7. IrishLass13
    IrishLass13
    I have had the Lap Band but had such issues with it that I had Dr. Almanza remove that and do the Sleeve - what a huge difference and I am soooooooooooooooooo thrilled that I can't tell you all how much it has done for me. I feel so good. A friend and I went together and met two other ladies having the sleeve procedure. We keep in touch one year later - today is our anniversary!! Two of us are in 50's and 60's and our weight loss has been slower but with all said I think we are less active. We are all so happy!! Best wishes and a positive journey if you decide to follow the Sleeve path.
  8. IrishLass13
    IrishLass13
    I have had the Lap Band but had such issues with it that I had Dr. Almanza remove that and do the Sleeve - what a huge difference and I am soooooooooooooooooo thrilled that I can't tell you all how much it has done for me. I feel so good. A friend and I went together and met two other ladies having the sleeve procedure. We keep in touch one year later - today is our anniversary!! Two of us are in 50's and 60's and our weight loss has been slower but with all said I think we are less active. We are all so happy!! Best wishes and a positive journey if you decide to follow the Sleeve path.

CROSSING BORDER - Was a breeze and felt very safe. You have a van that picks you up and takes you directly to the hotel - be sure to get the exact hotel they recommend! They have nurses on staff and we were taken out on trips to local shops by the van driver for a specific time frame and van back to hotel. I would not venture off in unknown areas, alleys etc. Stick with your van driver where he takes you and with your group. Never once felt in danger though my husband went with me. When you are ready to head back to the airport you all go in the van again. I personally feel this is such a huge industry in area that efforts are made to keep clients safe. If people with attacked or kidnapped it would be a huge negative and all over the US news.
  9. IrishLass13
    IrishLass13
    One more note... I kept my plans to a very few people so i did not get everyone freaking out on me. Caused some hurt feelings but I did not want to hear all the scary negative stories. I was doing this for ME and had all intentions of going through with it. I was referred by a friend that had same doctor and then after she had good results her sister and someone else went too. That is why I felt positive and comfortable as i knew people who had been there, had surgery by Dr. Almanza and were fine. IF YOU HAVE WEIRD ALLERGIES I.E. I AM METAL ALLERGIC TELL STAFF MANY, MANY TIMES AND TELL YOUR NURSE AND DOCTOR - I didn't tell nurse and doctor but had told all other staff and i got heavy wire sutures which became problematic since they were... oh yes METAL. My doctor stateside took them out and went with steri strips and all was ok. Because of language barrier, tell everyone if they need to be aware of something.
  10. cmrizzuto
    cmrizzuto
    I went to Dr.Almanza almost 10 years ago for VSG. I lost 100lbs quickly and kept it up til about a year ago. I think I worked extra hard at stretching out my sleeve and quickly found not only was I able to consume a ton of food again but the lbs came pounding on very quickly. So I am going back for a revision. Its all about your relationship with food. I am very comfortable with Dr. Almanza and going over the border I felt safe.