Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome to all the new members and let's introduce ourselves

1. apythia
    apythia
    Good morning all!

I am relatively new to the site and the group and we've got a few new members in the last week, so I thought it would be great for everyone to take a moment and introduce yourselves.

I'm Apythia and was sleeved Aug. 27. I'll be 40 in Feb. (I stepped in to manage the group for Grace, who, if you don't know, search for her posts here. We wish her the best of luck as she continues her struggle!) I am a book editor and do some PR work on the side. I am also a belly dancer. I'm married, no kids, 2 dogs and a cat. I live in the middle of nowhere, NY.

I originally had a lapband in 2009. Did great with it until it slipped then eroded. I started gaining back weight because the only thing I could keep down were sliders. After a year of that, I finally made the conversion to the sleeve. I started at 324 in 2009. I am now down to 234/235 depending on the day. I'll be very happy when I hit 224 again - then I would have lost all the weight I regained when the band slipped. My doctor's goal weight for me for a year out is 180. Frankly, I haven't been that weight since high school. I'd be happy with that, but a small voice in the back of my head barely whispers "Let's try for 140." It seems impossible, so I don't think about it, but 140 would put me in a normal BMI range. The antiquated charts say I should be between 115-123. I won't hold my breath for that one. lol

So that's me in a nutshell.

As I said, I am new to the forum and this is my first group, so I am still trying to figure out how everything works. If you have any suggestions for the group, please give me a shout!

Thanks so much!
    A
  2. Hilary Silver
    Hilary Silver
    Hi Apythia,
    I'm also a new member. But in the spirit of transparency and to not seem an interloper- I am not a WLS patient. I've provided psych evals and pre-op education for the bariatric patients of a popular surgeon in Denver for over 8 years. I'm passionate about supporting everyone on this journey by increasing awareness around emotional eating patterns and behavior so that long-term success in achieving and maintaining goals is possible.
    I'm 42! With my husband since 2000, kids 4 and 7- relationship expert, therapist and coach.
  3. Ladykk
    Ladykk
    Hi all

My name is Kathleen and sleeved August 1, 2014. I work in the counseling field and live in Northern Florida. I love to write lyrics. I am married with two teenage children and a husband that was sleeved September 8, 2014. I have lost a total of around 56 pounds. My starting weight was around 269 and my goal weight is 140. I cannot remember when my weight was at 140. I did this to help the odds of me living and enjoying my life. I didn't want to die due not being able to control the mouth in my stomach. Lol.

Getting healthy, for me is an additional full-time job. I now plan and think before eating. This tool that we have been given is a great thing. I am working forward towards success. However, I still struggle with temptations like mac'cheese. Food is everywhere in my world but I am learning to make better choices.
  4. apythia
    apythia
    Welcome ladies! And thank you for introducing yourselves!
  5. Cindy676
    Cindy676
    Hi I'm new today and have surgery booked for 18th Nov. I live in Aberdeen Scotland and will be celebrating the big 50 next year and have my first grandchild (A BOY!) due in January - really looking forward to 2015
  6. ann1756
    ann1756
    I am Ann, 58 and from the Houston area. I have 3 adult children, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 grandsons. I have been thinking about WSL for a long time, and have decided this is it. I have moderate to severe osteo and psoriatic arthritis, losing weight is a real need right now. I find myself scared, but have a friend who has worked in the field for years, and is willing to be my cheer squad. Right now, I am waiting on final approval from insurance.
  7. YaYa
    YaYa
    Hi all,
    I am Kathleen, 60, and I am getting sleeved on December 8. I live in Ashburn, Va. I am an Optometrist and have a practice near home. I have 2 adult children and 8 grandchildren. The closer I get to my surgery date, the more nervous I am becoming. I just want to be on the other side of this whole surgery thing and feeling back to normal. My starting weight was 311. I now weigh 285 since starting this pre-op journey 6m ago. I have to start my pre-op liquid diet on Nov. 24...the week of Thanksgiving...ugh. Excited though.
  8. LisaZBee
    LisaZBee
    Hello everyone,
    I am Lisa, 47, married and have two sons, age 8 and 13. I live in SW Idaho in a suburb of Boise called Eagle and am originally from Southern California. I was an Executive Assistant (desk job) for almost over 25 years. Turns out sitting was the worst thing for my body! I am very excited but also nervous about my surgery which is scheduled for December 1. I have been mainly lurking on this site for the past couple of months to gain information about the surgery and do's and don'ts. I am really excited to begin the journey and happy to "meet" you all.
  9. CelticKate
    CelticKate
    Hi everyone

I'm Kate. I'm from Birmingham, Alabama. I'm 52. I had surgery October 21, 2014. I work as an administrator in the medical field. My partner and I have 2 grown children and 3 fur babies. I'm enjoying the forum. Nice to meet all of you.
  10. mrsbib
    mrsbib
    Hi everyone. I'm April and I live near Columbia, South Carolina. I am having sleeve surgery on 12/22/14. I will be 48 years old 4 days after that. I feel that this is the best birthday present that I have ever been given. I am married to a great guy for 19 years. We have 5 children, 3 of them are grown and out on their own. Our other 2 are 11 year old twins. We are also blessed grandparents of 4 gorgeous little girls. I work full time as an instructor for Michelin Earthmover Tires. I love my job. Good luck to each of us on our journey. Nice to meet you all.
  11. Ladykk
    Ladykk
    How is everyone? This sleeve has changed me in ways than I never thought about. At the end of the day, I just feel better. But, I am still a work in progress!
  12. cocopebbles
    cocopebbles
    Hi Everyone. I was sleeved on 10/27/14 and am doing great. I'm the mother of a 16 year old and a writer. I'm finally finding my real voice, the one that has lived inside me for years struggling to get out...that thin, healthy woman! Blessings to all of you. Stay in touch!
  13. sliza
    sliza
    Hi Ladies! I'm new to this site and already tuning in for support frequently when I feel like eating. I'm 42 years old and live in Minneapolis, MN. I am in the 6 month process of dietician visits required by my insurance and struggling to loose 20 pounds before I can schedule my sleeve surgery. Initially I was anxious to get the surgery over with and disappointed to find out about the 6 month wait. However now I am grateful for it as I discovered how many changes I needed to make and how really difficult it has been to stay organized and focused. I've almost given up twice but then I decided to keep trying. I know I have to change as my health and quality of life depend on it. Yet its still hard to give up my unhealthy dependency on food. I'm struggling with portion size, not snacking, and trying not to eat out. I'm finally doing better with giving up diet pop. I spent a week out of town with family and slid back into old habits but I'm determined to get back on track and keep going forward. Thank you to all for sharing your stories!
  14. kimberly1968
    kimberly1968
    Hi my name is Kim. I am 46 and live in Texas and have been over weight all my life. I am married to a wonderful and supportive husband, live with my son (23) and his son 2 1/2 who I have custody of. Whew it was easier raising a toddler 20 years ago. I am a LVN and work in mental health.

I was banded in 2012 and managed to gain 40 pounds because I could not tolerate adjustments. My band was wide open and did not help at all. In 2009 I was on Jenny Craig and lost 65 pounds but could never lose any more than that. So you can imagine how ticked I was to gain with the band. I had my band removed in September 2014 and will be sleeved on December 12.
  15. sandlif
    sandlif
    Hello to the group; my name is Faith and I will be having surgery Dec 18th excited but scared. I have been on the pre op diet for 1 week, ,not great food but sticking to it.
    I have 4 grown children and 6 grand children. I want to be able to be around to enjoy and do with them as long as I can ,so weight is a factor. Weight at EDG last week was 260 , hope to be about 165 in the end. Will be ecstatic if that happens. Please keep blogging so I can learn from all of you ,thank you
  16. Sneeki
    Sneeki
    Hello to the group.
    My name is Annie, we live in Western Australia, 5 grown kids all out on their own,my husband and myself were sleeved one week ago today. It is going really well, we are each other's support, I was so glad to have it over with so I could start to get on with the rest of my life. We are gradually going up the stages of food.. We are starting on the thick soups and stuff now... I can't wait to have a piece of cheese and a cracker or two. A couple more weeks for that but always something to look forward to. It sounds like all the sleeves are doing really well and I wish you luck the ones that have their sleevers still to come.
  17. Debra732
    Debra732
    Hi I am Debra. I am 48 years old, a nurse and mother, and live in New Jersey. I have struggled with my weight for almost my whole life and am really looking forward to having surgery. Awaiting a date and learning as much as I can in the mean time. This is only my second day on the site and just trying to navigate and make a few friends. Best wishes to all!
  18. Canadian333
    Canadian333
    Hi Ladies!
    I'm 43 not married, no children. I had the sleeve in Feb 2013 and have more or less maintained my weight of 135lbs for several months. I had a minor set back in Sept where I gained 6 lbs but I managed to lose 5 of them. I got back into bad habits... chocolates, cookies, bad carbs, less exercise. I still treat myself but I try harder to keep it under control.
    I had the fat transfer surgery in October to give some fullness to my bum. It was pretty flat to begin with but after surgery it was worse! I am looking forward to getting a tummy tuck and breast lift in January. I wear compression garments all the time now and wish I had done so before. They really do help suck everything in and reshape you. Department store garments are not enough. You have to get them from a specialty store or your plastic surgeon's office. Get the ones with a zipper down below so you can go to the bathroom easier.
    I gained my confidence back and love that I went through with the sleeve. Plastic surgery is costing a lot but I remind myself it was my own fault for getting so big in the first place. Instead of a new car, I get plastics! lol
  19. BrnEye Girl
    BrnEye Girl
    Hi guys....I'm slaso new to the group...I recently got sleeved on December 19,2014. As of today i'm 7 days post op....I got the surgery because all my life i have struggled with my weight. I was put on hingh blood pressure meds as well as meds for my cholesterol. Thats when I new i had a serious food problem so i decided i needed to do something to get back healthy....I'm on this site because i really DON'T have a support system within my family or friends, so i'm here looking to meet new supportive friends...and also be a shoulder for others. Best wishes to all of you
  20. Renee N.
    Renee N.
    Good evening everyone - (waves from somewhere out in the middle of "no where NY" too!)

My name is Renee and I had sleeve surgery 12/12/14. From the time I started the bariatric program I'm down 35 + lbs. I'll be 44 pretty soon here and I'm a single mother of my favorite 12 year old son (in the whole wide world - he's also my only child). Technically married, but separated now for almost 4 years. We have a cat, dog, a couple of fish and lots of Angry Birds. (One of my son's favorite games, he's got quite a plush toy collection.)

I'm a student, working on a Master's in Clinical Social Work. I'm mobility impaired. (Was in a very bad car accident in 2010.) I'll be taking a little sabbatical from school here once I have my BA to train a service dog.

I like art, sewing, writing, my son and I go cycling (he has a Catrike tadpole recumbent and I have a Force II hand-crank) And as you can see from my picture - I also do Revolutionary War reenactments.

Nice to meet everyone.
  21. Muted_Tummy
    Muted_Tummy
    hi,

Is this group still active? I am pre-op looking for 40+ gals to relate to
  22. Allaboutme70
    Allaboutme70
    Muted tummy.....I was doing the same, but it doesn't look like it
  23. Sunshines4u2
    Sunshines4u2
    Hello,

I am a new one to this group of 40+ looking for some people to chat with. I am scheduled for surgery on 4/29 in Mexico with Dr Almanzo - I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time!
  24. blackjac24
    blackjac24
    Is this group still active? Is would be nice to be able to chat with people around my age. I am 46 and I am scheduled June 13 2016.
  25. ksleeve16
    ksleeve16
    Hi, my name is Karen, I turned 40 in May. My surgery date is 6-10-16, I've been married for 15 years and we have 4 children together, ages 15,13,9, and 4. I would like someone around my age to talk with about the surgery, emotions, and some of the effects. I look forward to hearing your stories and advice.
  26. luckygirl
    luckygirl
    Hi! I'm Marney. I'm about to turn 60 and decided its now or never...Iv'e worked crazy shifts in healthcare and always put everyone else first.Im married to my hubby of 37 years,have 3 grown sons and two little granddaughters.Were planning on retiring soon and hitting the road in our new camper. I have acquired a lot of orthodedic problems from the weight. I'm scheduled June 9th in Mexico. Only regret...Last ten years of Excess!! I feel very young at heart but the weight has killed me
  27. Luara
    Luara
    Hi, I'm Luara. I'm 48 and a single mom to 2 teenage girls. I 'used' to be in great shape, at 5'4 I was 135 and buff. Then I had back surgery and two car accidents and now I'm up to 205 because I quit exercising. I've tried dieting since 2009 but it has been a yoyo especially since I lead a sedentary life since my injuries. I'm sleeving to get the weight down and will also incorporate light exercise until I'm strong enough again to do more.
    I'm scheduled this Friday in Tijuana!
  28. MizzzC
    MizzzC
    I'm new to the website today, I will be 39 when I have VSG and I already round up to 40 due to stressful experiences I've had in the last year. I am hoping VSG will ease my perimenopausal symptoms. My last ObGyn had recommended losing weight (hard to do when you have crazy hormones, vicious cycle) would help rebalance my system.
  29. Whoopsiedaisy
    Whoopsiedaisy
    I'm in IF the group is still active! 44 years old - surgery is right around the corner.
  30. azapolya
    azapolya
    Hi all, fairly new to this website as well. I'm 42 and currently considering the sleeve. I just called my insurance company yesterday to find out if it was covered, and they told me not covered in any circumstance at the moment, so I'm looking for a work around at the moment.