Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

VERY frustrated

1. ToesTen
    ToesTen
    I am hoping the experience of you others can calm the frustration I am having over my sleeve. I was done on August 5th - 6 weeks ago today, in fact. I started very heavy, 355. No complications from the surgery, in fact it went very smoothly. But as the time passes, I am getting more frustrated and less happy with the results and, more importantly, how I physically feel. Despite following the diet instructions to the letter,eating 600-800 calories a day with 90 grams of protein daily, I have lost only 33 pounds in the first 6 weeks, that seems very low to me, from what I have heard. But I also find myself waking every. Morning with a "sour" stomach. As the day goes, I am slightly nauseous most of the day every day - not enough to vomit but enough to feel poorly. And, as the day goes by, I see my stomach bloating so that pants that are loose in the morning are tight by day's end.
    So - all normal? Others find this, too? Will this all pass? When? I really would like to hear from others, good or bad, to see if perhaps something is not as it should be.
    Thanks!
  2. dbryant520
    dbryant520
    Hello there,

I had the sleeve surgery 5 weeks ago, just saw my surgeon today. I have lost 26 pounds, which he is said is great. I was told average is about 5 pounds a week. So according to that you are doing great! This like everything else is not a miracle, but I never would loose this amount so quickly any other way. I do also wake up once in awhile with an upset stomach. The doctor said I may just be hungry at that time. I do get nausea which I blame on eating to fast or not chewing enough. When that happens I usually don't feel better until I do vomit. I told him it is mostly foamy, which he said means that the food is blocking the opening then. So I have to slow down more!

Don't get depressed it will get better for all of us. Its better than we were a few weeks ago!
  3. NancyN
    NancyN
    Your weight loss is right on track! You are averaging 20 lbs a month! It is not realistic to think of more than that. Don't worry about what anyone else has on their ticker, lots of them include pre-op loss too. The rate you are going would be more than 100 lbs in 6 months. Are you taking anything for acid? I was told that was necessary for the first 3 months. Do you think lactose intolerance could be a problem? Things WILL get better. It just takes time.
  4. Ladyinwaiting
    Ladyinwaiting
    I agree, you seen to be doing good. I think we all kind of expect the weight to just fall off since we are eating so little. Maybe up your calories a tad so your body isn't going into starvation mode? And I would ask for something for your sour stomach. It is still adjusting and may need a little help.
  5. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    Hey - I think you are doign great! I mean 6 weeks you have lost 33 lbs! My doctor's office told me it averages about 1% of your body weight a week and to expect plateaus. Definitely ask your doctor for soemthing for your stomach. If I forget to take mine I am miserable all day (and night). I have found (not that I am an expert by any means - still pretty new at this too) but walking really does help settle the tummy and it gets worse if I drink too soon after eating.
  6. Blackbry63
    Blackbry63
    Your doing fantastic, your exactly where I was at 6 weeks out, and the weight has come of consistently for the last 6 months, I lose for 2-3 weeks then stall, lose for 2-3 weeks then stall. I'm at 81 lbs lost at 6 months, and the doctor told me a few days ago that Im ahead of the curve, sounds like you are right on target. I'm sure your doing awesome now.
  7. JF1015
    JF1015
    As an RN, I would not be surprised that you lost that much. Every one's body is different. 5 pounds a week is sounding like how much you lose. Most people would be thrilled with that. Make sure you are following your surgeons advice and don't starve yourself for quicker weight loss. This is a one day at a time journey. I haven't had surgery yet, and find your story exciting. I have a great deal to lose and would feel great if I lost 33 pounds right now.

If you are having problems with acidity in the stomach, are you taking all of your presscribed medications? Not following all of your surgeon's prescribed medications can cause that. If it is a matter of cost, ask him/her if you could have free samples. Drug companies give physicians these all the time if that is a problem. I am on Social Security and if I can't afford something I won't have a problem asking for them as it is no loss to my surgeons money.

Also, keep your head up. You are doing fine. Take things one day at a time and don't focus so much on numbers but how are you feeling. As a scale worrier, I plan on that instead of numbers. Andy ou can keep me to that when I post that I've only lost....!