Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My 600+ Life

1. savagegrace
    savagegrace
    I came across this show on TV last night, and the guy started off at well over 700lbs when he received his gastric bypass. The first meal his "mother" made for him once his liquid diet was over, was two foot long fried sausage links with BBQ sauce and BBQ beans. I sat there in disbelief as this man gorged himself to the point where he hurt himself. He ate all but half a link. Then he followed up with some fast food burgers and fries at the drive thru!!! That is disgusting, and it reminded me of what my husband always says to me. He says you can't help people, because they will fight you every step of the way, because they are so comfortable living the way they are, even if it's killing them. In this man's case, it's sad but true. He is clearly beyond help. Having surgery is not life-long solution, it's a tool to re-train your body, and if you are think that you can get this surgery, lose weight, then start eating like the good ole days, then you're wasting your money. This is a lifestyle change, commit to it!
  2. Phenomenal Love
    Phenomenal Love
    Well said!!!! Commitment is hard for some people.
  3. vandies
    vandies
    It's hard for me to see that stuff too. There was another woman who did the same sort of thing on that show. What it comes down to, for some, is wanting to lose weight but not be willing to do the WORK. And trust me, I get that in more ways than I'd like to admit. What is hard for me to see is the waste of resources that could be better utilized on someone who is in a stronger emotional place and would greatly benefit from the 'tool'.
  4. savagegrace
    savagegrace
    Yes! I think maybe this is why insurance companies make people go through so many hoops, and have/had the 6 month waiting period, because they don't want to waste money to pay for a surgery on a person who won't use it the way it's intended for. I can't even feel sorry for these people, because they are fighting so hard to stay the same.
  5. caussia
    caussia
    i have compassion for people of that size. some where in the back of my head the saying "there, but by the grace of god, go i'
  6. julrs13
    julrs13
    I watched that show too and as I recall he got really sick and realized it was a big mistake. I think what it comes down to is a lack of education. I know people now that don't have a clue about what they should eat. I am a nurse and taught diabetic, healthy heart diets for 22 yrs, so I know how to eat, and I still got out of control. That is why so many people ask questions on this site about what to eat. I agree with Caussia, there but for the grace of God go I. I thought the man on the show did a good job in the end. In one year he lost 350 pounds, so he wasn't a lost cause. He had to learn just like we all do. Sorry, but I felt the need to stick up for him.
  7. reinventme
    reinventme
    The man lost 350 pound so he clearly was not beyond help. Just because people have bad habits does not mean that they do not want to change. I would consider 350 pounds off a success story.

Considering the very high costs of diabetes, heart disease, etc. I am amazed it is not easier to get surgery as long as education is part of it. People really do try to change, but changing habits isnt easy.
  8. wbm58
    wbm58
    I agree with julrs13 and reinventme. While the majority of us using this forum are not weighing in pre surgery at 700 l bs, I am pretty sure most of us have, or will have missteps along the way. We are children in this and must be disciplined by the sleeve when we ignore its limits. That is the beauty of this forum: it gives pre and early sleevers the opportunity to learn from others more experienced, where those limits may lie. BUT-we are creatures of habit-bumping into those limits from time to time and facing the consequences is what will help break the old, bad eating habits.
  9. Chelan
    Chelan
    yes I agree I am getting the sleeve because I cannot stop eating and the sleeve will force me to stop! I am worried about falling into my old habits though. I love butter and salt both are so bad and I love brown sugar.
  10. Love4mykids
    Love4mykids
    he did well at the end and thats what matter no one said it was going to be easy, baby steps for many of us, food is an addiction so falling off the wagon will happen many times but im hoping and praying in my case i too can be a success story !
  11. Davis165
    Davis165
    Caussia, Well said! Yet, it is hard to see. I don't tend to watch those shows because of the sadness factor.
  12. Kimv15
    Kimv15
    The doctor on My 600# Life (Dr. Nowzaradan aka Dr. Now) is the doctor doing my surgery. During my last visit they were filming & to see first hand that some people don't have the support from their family. It's heart breaking. I'm in the 6 month waiting period for the insurance now.
  13. Luara
    Luara
    I watch that show all the time!!! And if I've learned anything from this journey is that I need mental help, or maybe emotional help. The surgery is a tool and I will lose weight but I need to get to the root of the problem and readdress my relationship with food.