Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

The half-inch delimma

1. Beerinmexico
    Beerinmexico
    Anyone have this issue? All my life adult I've claimed 5'2 as my height. Technically I'm 5'1 1/2. I'm borderline on BMI for insurance coverage. Hoping this will work in my favor for once. Like most things, the "one size fits all" only applies to average people. The BMI measirement is no different. The shorter you are, the harder it is to carry extra weight.
  2. TexasBetsy
    TexasBetsy
    Yes. Me too. Fortunately I decided to use a tax return and forego a fight with the insurance. If you can, pay cash. It moves things along like you would not believe. It was the best investment I have ever made. I am down from bmi 34.5 to 22. In one year. It is fantastic, like a system reset.
  3. Beerinmexico
    Beerinmexico
    I'm concerned about not having coverage for complications if something should go wrong. I know it's not extremely common but it does happen.
  4. readytochangemylife
    readytochangemylife
    I am not sure about the program you are looking into for self pay, but the program I chose had " BLISS" insurance as part of the package. It was part of the price, and it added about $2000 to the total. This is insurance that covers if you have complications the first 90 days, including going back into surgery. So I didn't worry about complications for that reason. Check with your program director to see if they offer BLISS. I agree about how quickly self pay was. I had my first consultation on Sept 28th and had surgery Oct 24th. I did have to have clearance from my heart doctor and my a letter from my PCP.
  5. Beerinmexico
    Beerinmexico
    Well if I have to self pay, Mexico is at the top of my list. Dr. Ortiz at OCC has impressed me the most so far. He's a little more expensive than some in Mexico but still half what I would pay local. I feel like there are definitely some reputable doctors to choose from. But complications can arise even with the best. Statistically the chances are rare, but it's still a big exposure. If you are going to have complications, it will get very expensive very quickly. My dad had an infection after routine gall bladder surgery that landed him in ICU for three days. He was fine after surgery but within a few hours his fever shot up to almost 104. It was scary and I'm sure the bill was very high.

I will look at Bliss. Where did you have your surgery?
  6. Mammak
    Mammak
    I work in the medical field & my insurance wouldn't cover my surgery because I didn't have enough co-morbidities, even with a BMI of 37, so I'm choosing to go through this agency and pay cash. As for possible complications just go to your nearest hospital and they will have to treat you, they cannot turn you away for pre-existing conditions. I also made sure my primary care doctor knew that I was having this procedure so that I would be able to follow up with her, she totally understood because she knows how it is with insurance.
  7. RehabNurse
    RehabNurse
    I know this discussion was started quite a while ago, but I've always claimed 5'1" as my height. When my height was actually measured during the consultation appointment, it was determined to be 5'1" and a half. So I am actually half an inch taller than I had previously assumed.

Half an inch was not a deal-breaker since I weighed substantially more than the arbitrary cut-off point used by the insurance company to qualify for weight loss surgery.