Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Please introduce yourself

1. Yollie1976
    Yollie1976
    Hi ! I am new to this site and wish I found it early in my journey well I had the sleeve 2 years ago and still love it never met goal but that's my fault had a few health issue to go through I got down low as 167 and maintain between that and 170 I gain 18 pound back after 2 years but quickly got it back off and now I am over my health issue and weight gain now ready to kick butt and meet goal.
  2. IceColdSleeve
    IceColdSleeve
    Hello,
    My name is Ron I am in Cary NC, I am in the process now of getting my ducks in a row to get sleeved. I find it very interesting that a lot of AA are not open about discussing the surgery. I kind of feel alone in this, anyway I look forward to hearing the stories that you guys will share
  3. gini
    gini
    Hi everyone, my name is gini and I was sleeved 08/13/2013. I'm 7 weeks out and I've lost weight but I am still having issues with eating. I mainly do liquids and the protein shakes because I can't stand the sight, smell, or thought of most food. I think it is getting a little better but when I read some of the posts from other sleevers about what they are eating, I can't help but wonder what's wrong with me...glad to be here though
  4. renaye83
    renaye83
    Hi there,

I am new to this site and this forum. I am a 29 yr old woman living in the boston area. My starting weight was 344 and I am about 5'7" in height. I am 3 days post and still in some pain (it really hurts to drink). I am looking forward to losing this weight so that I can be the active person I once was.
  5. Armygirl76
    Armygirl76
    Greetings everyone. My name is Serena. I am stationed at Ft Bliss, TX. I decided to get sleeved to stay in the Army. I was sleeved on 1 Nov 2013 by Dr. Elias Ortiz. I used Alighterme and have no regrets so far. SW 183 and current weight 175. I am ready to be out of the phase I post op phase already. Gad to be a part of this group. I still have a lot of learning to do about being sleeved.
  6. Gigi9763
    Gigi9763
    Hello Everyone~ My name is Vickie, I'm 50 years young and so ready to be healthy again. My issue is I'm in menopause and taking meds that truly have contributed to my massive weight gain (91 pounds). The extra weight has caused knee & back problems for me which have resulted in surgery. Now on top of everything my thighs are rubbing together at all times. Lol.... I'm laughing at myself for telling this but I'm also crying at the thought of it. I'm sick of being this way and come Feb. 7th, 2014 I'm doing something about it! Wishing all of you much love and success on this SLEEVED journey.
  7. LadyJ
    LadyJ
    Hello, I'm Jamila and I decided to take control of my life. I suffer from high blood pressure and sleep apnea from being so obese. I'm 5'4 and weight 211 pounds. I have tried just about EVERY diet, pill, workout on earth. Nothing seemed to work! I would lose 10 to 15 pounds and gain 25 back. Through each year passing I began to notice I was losing all control over my health. My sleep apnea and snoring has gotten so bad that my husband and I can no longer sleep in the same room. I want to be a better healthy me, therefore I made the choice to take control of my life for the rest of my life!
  8. steaph214
    steaph214
    Hello all. My name is Steaphanie . I live in the DMV area and just joined today. My story is like so many I have read here. My highest weight was 265. I now weigh in around 245 but thats working out every day for an hour and soon as I stop for any reason the weight comes right back so I decided this time to get surgery and be over the up and down. I am going to Mecico February 17 and begin the second healthy life that I deserve.Good luck to all and continue to give advice because it is so encouraging to newbie like myself.
  9. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Hi, I'm a tall sista living in Minne-Snowtah (If you're tall sign up to Tall Sleevers group.) I am still waiting to be given a date for surgery and somewhat anxious. My natural inclination is to research processes, determine if it is a good approach for me based on previous things I have tried, ask questions from people that have done it, research some more, ask God for wisdom and if given the green light, either do it or not. As a program/project manager it is my gift. I am feeling good about going through this procedure at this stage of my life. I am realizing my husband getting fit through exercise, actively moving and expecting longer life, so why can't I do that with help. I don't want to be in a wheelchair while he is walking and able (a bit drastic because i am no where close to being wheelchair bound) but when I compare me to him, this is what I envision. I take medication and he is trying to ensure that he will never take it. My weight prevents me from being as mobile as I would like to be OR to even want to exercise with my man. I feel that life is passing me by when I still have more life to live and I can't even fanthom that reality. So here I am...ready to make this committment to myself, my spouse, my children and future grandchildren to be active and fit for the rest of my life!
  10. MTAIRYGIRL
    MTAIRYGIRL
    Hi.

I am from Philadelphia and my surgery date is December 9. I'm anxiously preparing. Can't really express how nervous I am. I'm 46, single, and no children. I'm 5'3" and half and 220lbs. I haven't been under 150 in over 10 years. As I get older this weight is literally killing me. Only one my friends really knows what I'm doing. Last year I started this process and told everyone close and there was 99% no support. I stopped . Have you ever heard, "you're not big", you can do it on your own", what about the complications', "you don't need it"....etc. So here I am looking for support, advice and suggestions on this new journey. I'm not stopping this time.
  11. Tanrn1
    Tanrn1
    hello please call me Tan! I am thankful because I am getting a second chance. I was banded about 5 years ago never lost more than 21 pounds. Kept feeling like I failed, well saw another surgeon found out my band failed. So I will be having the gastric Sleeve on 12/9/2013 and preop begins 11/25. I am an ICU nurse so this means a lot to me and I'm ready! Let's GO!!!!!!!!
  12. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    I just wanted to say I am so grateful you all joined this group and are sharing your stories and experiences with myself and others on this forum. It means a lot. I know I have not been as active as I was and I apologize for that. I am here if anyone needs to speak to me, I do apologize if it may take a minute for me to respond. I will try to check my inbox more often. Hope everyone's holidays are blessed and wonderful. We still have Christmas and New Years. I love this group keep up the consistency and ask questions until you get all the answers. I FORGOT TO SAY WELCOME EVERYONE
  13. Seahawksfan
    Seahawksfan
    Hi!! My name is Anita and I'm in Houston. I was sleeved 7/30/13 and couldn't have made a better decision. I'm 26 and it's hard to share my weight loss struggles with friends because they really don't understand. I am glad to be out of the new sleeve phase, it's a lot more pleasant to see results and not have the struggle as much. I workout twice a week and really have cut a lot of different foods out of my diet, even though I can physically eat them now. I want this to be a lifestyle change, for me and my two boys. I hope everybody continued success and look forward to being a part of this group.
  14. Ms.Asia
    Ms.Asia
    I am a 6'0", 398 lbs, mixed race woman in NJ. The journey to just get approved for surgery was enough to make me want to quit. But I know that this surgery is a necessity for my wellbeing. My initial weight as my highest at 426 lbs. That was in October. So I have been diligent on getting on track with my health. I'm looking for advice on post-op living. I'm not approved for any time off outside of 2 1/2 days. Has anyone gone back to work in a week or less? How is (or did) everyone handle their post-op? Enough fluids? Hair loss? Muscle mass lost?
  15. Ms.Asia
    Ms.Asia
    Also my confirmed date is Christmas Eve 12/24/13... yippie! (←enter sarcasm here, lol)
  16. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Ms.Asia most women can go back to work after a few days less than 7 days I did. Make sure you keep your fluids in and get enough of those. Fluids get you full fast too. Post-op I did complain a lot like a few months after only because I was eating the wrong foods at the wrong times. I did not have ANY HAIR LOSS and I did not take any vitamins the way i SHOULD. Everyone is different some people lose hair some don't. Some think they are but they really arent losing hair you have to think about if you have braids yes your hair will shed but just because you had surgery does not mean your losing more than normal when you take it down. I didn't lose muscle I do not think. JUST MAKE SURE YOU WORK OUT, It helps a lot. I lost the good portion of my weight but I AM FLABBY because I did not work out. IT WILL WORK if you make it, this is just a tool.
  17. Ms.Asia
    Ms.Asia
    Thank you so much Phoenixrise!!! You've answered a lot for me! I'm so overwhelmed with the final appointments & the job that I just haven't had time to just stop & relax. I'm going to see how I feel & judge from there. I hope I can get back to work the week after...
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL (^-^)
  18. Fantadiallo
    Fantadiallo
    Hello i'm fanta and I just joined this group last night. I will be in the process of starting my journey. My previous employer did not cover the sleeve however I started work with BlueCross and they cover it, my insurance kicks in the first of January. I am about 90 percent sure this is what I want to do.
  19. Just2BHealthy
    Just2BHealthy
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm Juanita from Texas and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm in the beginning phase of the process and I do not have a surgery date as of yet. I've been reading as many post as I can to get information. I'm a little scared and a little nervous all at the same time since I originally wanted to get the Lap-Band but now I'm leaning more toward the Sleeve. It's nice to be able to read and share with others who are either in the process to be sleeved or who have already been sleeved. You might not be totally prepared and I know each person's journey will be different but you have a better insight of what you might experience after you're sleeved by all the information that is shared on this sight. I just want to take this opportunity to thank each of you for taking the time to share your experiences the good and the bad.
  20. StephanieVSG
    StephanieVSG
    Hello, my name is StephanieVSG from Charlotte, NC. HW 289 SW 275 CW 238 GW 150. Surgery date was 10/14/2013 and discharged 10/19/2013. Returned to ER 10/19/2013 with temp 105 and hemoglobin 5. I now have a leak after surgery. EMT took me to closest hospital by my house and I receive 2 blood transfusion then I was transferred to my surgeon hospital 45 mins away for emergency surgery with 3 blood transfusion. Now I have race track scar down middle of my stomach, 2 JP drains in ICU for 10 days. Then they added another JP drain for an abscess by leak. Then they added a PICC line in my arm. I test for leak every 10 days in radiology with the nasty drink. Then sent home after 34 days of hospital stay for home health care with PICC line for IV/TPN and JP Drains. I have been NPO (nothing by mouth) since 10/19/2013 until today. I have a visiting nurse every Monday for blood work. Lets not for get about the gas I have for not eating, I take Protonix by IV daily to resolve that. As of Jan 19th it will be 90 days of nothing but challenges having the VSG procedure for me. Please today don't ask if I thought it was worth it, maybe 6-9 months later I may feel different. I prayer daily and working on my patiences. Thanks for listening... Congrats to those who have bare minimum challenges!
  21. a2twinsnanny
    a2twinsnanny
    I Ieisha am in Missouri, 32 year old with previous thyroid removal due to thyroid cancer. I struggled with my weight before the cancer but since then I have ballooned to 250 at 5'4 it is depressing. I pray that I can have the sleeve and use it as a tool to help me stay healthy and make exercising easy like it used to be when I was slimmer. I am happy to find others that I can relate to and will take any advice about the approval process that is offered.
  22. tinadiva
    tinadiva
    I am Felice, 60 yrs old this month. I am 5'3" and weigh 232. I am a type 2 diabetic and struggling with sugar control. Expected to have surgery in October, 2013 but had h.pylori. Treatment for that is 16-20 weeks. I have to retest for the infection this month. If gone, I will be able to schedule. This has been a 10 month process so far. I am nervous and anxious about surgery and post-op issues. Looking to hear about experiences, recipes that "we" like, etc. Thanks.
  23. keish_lorraine
    keish_lorraine
    Hello Everyone,

I'm Keisha from Wilmington, DE. I'm yet to be sleeved. I am currently pre-op, and I am taking my nutrition classes. All of the information that I'm receiving is a bit overwhelming, but I look forward to being sleeved. Weight issues have held me captive for most of my entire life, and I'm looking forward to "freedom". I look forward to interacting with everyone on this forum. I would certainly appreciate any advice and encouragement as well.
  24. Wrightone111
    Wrightone111
    Hello everyone,

My name is kimberlee and Im from NYC. I was just sleeved on 1-6-14. My high weight was 329 and I'm just looking forward to taking the weight and pressure off my poor knees, better overall health and getting into some cuter, smaller clothes.
  25. Cynthasia
    Cynthasia
    Greetings everyone. My name is Cynthasia. I am new to this site and forum. My starting weight was 330 and have been doing post op diet for 8 days (today makes 9)and down to 305 as of today as i have also continued my workouts. I am to be sleeved Monday, January 13, 2014. I am ready to kick butt and get rid of the health issues that have plagued me for over a decade. After reading the post just from the introductions I feel blessed knowing i am in great company.

Thank you.
  26. adotlj
    adotlj
    Hey, hey, hey!

My name is Ashley and I'm in the DMV area. I was sleeved on 01/10/14. I decided to get this surgery because I am tired of being overweight. My road to getting here was pretty long b/c I had to jump through hoops for my insurance b/c other than my BMI, I'm healthy and have no pre-morbidities. My goal is to be healthy. I have no dreams of being a supermodel. No dreams of rockin' a bikini, just to be healthy. Oh, and to not have knee pain

I'm not so much concerned about what weight I get to. I'm more focused on clothing size. Per my doctor, the goal is 190 from my current 337. My personal goal is to get to a size 16 then decide if I want to maintain that or shrink more (I'm 5'9 and don't want to look like a bobble head)!
  27. mamb0831
    mamb0831
    Hello All, My name is Muhrjani (Nick name MJ) I'm a 33yrs mother of two girls. I live in South Philly. I had my VSG on 8/19/13, it was the best thing ever for me. I started at 312lb (I probably was bigger than that, but I didn't get on the scale much) I am now 228lbs wearing a size 14/16. I no longer have to take BP meds and I feel amazing!
  28. Sleeve nurse
    Sleeve nurse
    Hello Everyone, I am from Houston, Tx a mother of two a 17 year old son and a 7 month old daughter. Im scheduled for my VSG on 2/17/14 brought my plane ticket yesterday so it's real lol!! I was approved by my insurance but I had to be on a supervised diet for 6 months which includes a copay of 35$ each time. She a shrink and a nutritionist and pay 5,000$. The nutritionist I didn't mind but all of the other hoops and I still had to wait 6 months was very frustrating and discouraging. So I googled weight loss surgery and here I am. I don't have to wait 6 more miserable and I'm ecstatic about that. That's my story. 37 years old, 5'3 height, 235 lbs. and BMI 41.6��
  29. trhaye3
    trhaye3
    Hey I am Tanya, Living in the DC metro area. Fort Washington, Md. 35 minutes outside of DC. All I have seen in our group sessions is African American men and women. I am new to this forum. I just saw the invite so here I am. I have about 38 days to go. I was just glancing at some of the post and saw where a sister from England was told she would not lose as much as people of other races. I am just wondering who told her that. I have seen some incredible men and women who are working the sleeve and changing their lives. They look and feel great. You can lose as much as you want it is a journey and a challenge. They keep telling me this process is three fold. The sleeve, excercise and diet plan. One without the other leads to decreased weight loss, but not as much or as little as anyone else. Anyway lets work these sleeves ladies and gentlemen. I am so glad I saw this forum. I will come here everytime I loggin. I am going to read some post now. So happy for the invite.
  30. singraham
    singraham
    Hello! My name is Stephanie, from ARKANSAS!! (ole country gal) I am also new to this site. I am to be sleeved 1/29/14. I have been over weight all my life, with HTN, and sleep apnea.. I am ready to loose this weight!! goal 180lbs.. Im so glad to be here!!!
  31. ty36
    ty36
    hi everyone i'm ty from dallas tx new to this site ive been over weight most of my adult life i couldnt take being over weight and not being able to play with my kids the way i want or how they deserve so i will be getting sleeved feb 12th looking forward to the day but scared @ the same time i hope to make some friends here and get input and give some i'm glad i found this group
  32. BigGurl32
    BigGurl32
    Hi all, I'm new to the group! My Name is Latrice I received my VSG on 02/08/2012 with Dr. Almanza! It has been a great experience height 5'6 I started off at 358 ,presently I'm 242 my goal is 161. I am still in the process of losing although it was fast in the beginning after a year or so it slows down. I wish all of you great success and I'm happy to be in your group!
  33. Mrs.Kizzie
    Mrs.Kizzie
    HI, My name is Kizzie, I will be sleeved on January 28th,I am a little scared but I am ready for this change that I am making in my life!Its nice to come to this blog and get support!Thanks
  34. ladyTiff12
    ladyTiff12
    Hello, I'm Tiff from upstate NY ans tomorrow is my surgery date (1-22-13). I was a lot nervous and was going to reschedule because my family is away on vacation and I have to go alone.. But im over that i will facetime my parents before surgery and after surgery my friend is going to come after she gets my kids from school and etc... so im good..(thats what i keep telling myself). But more importantly I know I have the good LORD on myside and with him all things are possible..(now tomorrow i may not have any nails or hair because of my nerves..LOL but today im ready)
  35. silky
    silky
    Hi, my name is Patrice . I live in the Washington, D.C. area. I am 54 years of age and stand at the height of 5'7. I started my journey in May of 2013 working to qualify for this surgery. At that time I weighed 294 pounds. At the time of my sleeved surgery on 1/15/2014 I weighed 244 pounds. As of today I weigh 232 pounds. My friends, family and co-workers are not supported at all about me having this surgery. They have given me a hard time from day one to the point that I have shied away from them all and have felt alone during this journey. I am very excited for this opportunity to not only jump start my weight lost but also to learn how to have a healthier lifestyle and a new beginning.

My surgery went well however I am having problems tolerating water because it hurts so bad and I am quite sure that I am not getting enough protein because that hurts as well. My surgeon said that it will get better as my stomach muscles get stronger. Has any one else experience the same?
  36. dst0424
    dst0424
    Good Evening! I am in the process of getting approval for the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Hopefully, I will be sleeved by the end of February. Any words of wisdom you wish to share?
  37. EbonyToya
    EbonyToya
    Hi my name is Ebony and Iam from the DMV area (Wash Md and Va) I had the sleeve performed on December 12,2013 my pre surgery weight was 254 (Thanksgiving Day) Iam currently at 218.Up until last week I have been just fine....then nausea arrives....constantly day & night...veep being treated for dehydration 3times this week...does this sound familiar to anyone ...and by the way Zofran shots or pills aren't helping at all. I'm new to this site so please bare with me.
  38. lisalee
    lisalee
    Greetings everyone! First of all I would like to Thank @Phoenixrise for making such an informative group for pre and post op sleevers.
    My name is Lisa and I am new to this site. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. I have not been sleeved yet, however, my surgery is scheduled with Dr. Quinones on 3/7/14. I'm excited about this journey to a better health and weight loss.I Iook forward to learning from each one of you, about the good & bad throughout your journey. I ordered some items to help me with my pre-op diet. Here's a link to a coupon for $20 off your purchase at Bariatric Choice. They have a variety of items you will need that has a good amount of protein in it, for pre-op and post-op stage. The chicken broth with noodles is great, as well as the hot chocolate! Good luck on your journey! God Bless!

https://www.bariatricchoice.com/rewa...efer/id/95418/
  39. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    @lisalee Thank you, I hope you have a great WEIGHT LOSS journey. I am glad to see that your all making a positive choice towards your health especially due to AA high risk factors.
  40. Sharivsg
    Sharivsg
    My name is Sharon. I have not been sleeved as of yet, but with prayers, I hope to have referral soon. I live in NJ and plan on having surgery done at St. Barnabas Hospital. Hopefully I can have this as my birthday present. My birthday is April % and see my doctor 4/8/14.
  41. dec567
    dec567
    My name is Lisa and I am form MA. I had my surgery March 4 and I am down about 34 lbs from the start. I think this is called the honeymoon phase, but I am glad for where I am. Thank you for this group.
  42. bailey1987
    bailey1987
    Hello, my name is Joyce and I live in the Landover, Md. area. I am 62 years old and just recently retired from the federal government. I had lap band surgery about 4 years ago and it is jus not working for me, the weight loss has become slow. I changed my insurance to Kaiser and had a consult with their bariatric surgeon and that is when we decided to remove the band and get the gastric sleeve. I am at the last phase of their requirements, I have to lose 3 more lbs. and then the referral will be submitted to the committee for approval Then I will meet with the surgeon and be scheduled for a surgery date. His wait time for surgery is 4-6 weeks so I am looking at a June date. The hardest part is stay positive and focused, there are so many people in my family and in my friend circle that say that I dont need this surgery to lose weight, my current weight is 249, my goal weight is 165. I once weighted 165 over 20years ago! I am so ready, praying that I will have no issues. I have high blood pressure controlled with meds, recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and arthritis in both knees!
  43. ltbrwnfantasy
    ltbrwnfantasy
    Good evening everyone. I attended the meeting last night. I had inquired back in 2012 but my insurance didnt cover the sleeve yet. My cousin decided she wanted to do so I said we can do this together. My insurance does now cover it. I will be reading & getting insight from everyone. Thanks in advance.
  44. Aagemini
    Aagemini
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My name is Lesa, I live in Lubbock, TX, I was sleeved Oct 31, 2013 and started at 370+ . It was the best choice I made in a long time. I have not had any problems with my sleeve and I have been losing at a rapid pace. I set a realistic weight goal for myself of 225 but my doctor says it will be closer to 180. I have always look like i weighed less than i really did. I haven't been this size in 20 years and I can't relate to the person I see in the mirror. In my mind I'm still 370 lbs. I've been 300 plus for the majority of my adult life. I remember that after my last pregnancy at 25 y/o I weighed 315. I have had numerous health issues from almost dying because of unmedicated HBP, CHF, sleep apnea, pulmonary hypertension and COPD. I was taken off all my medications a couple of months ago and waiting to do another sleep study to see if I still need my CPap. I made up my mind to have the surgery in May, 2013 and finally after receiving all my clearances I traveled to Dallas, TX for the surgery. I highly recommend the surgery. I love that i'm healthier but the weightloss was faster than the weight GAIN. 6 months erased what took me 20 years to put on!!

Aside from friends and family not supporting me in this journey I love that I am healthier to live another day. No longer am I considered the "Fat" friend in the group. Now I'm just like everyone else. I'm glad that I joined this group!!I
  45. newgirl
    newgirl
    Hi everyone! I am currently doing research and considering having my surgery in Mexico. Has anyone here had their sleeve done in Mexico and if so what was your experience? I am really excited and nervous about beginning this journey to a better me and any input or advice you guys can give me would be so helpful. Thank in advance!!!
  46. nurseveci
    nurseveci
    Hello everyone I'm Travecia, 27year old female from Dallas Texas I will be having revision surgery from lapband to the sleeve on May 12 2014. Currently in my pre op full liquid stages. Just on here to stay motivated and not go bacl to my old ways. I'm scared of having the same failures from lapband
  47. tidwell75
    tidwell75
    Hi everybody! My name is Tasha and I live in Little Rock, AR. I got the LapBand in 2007 and have been really disappointed by the whole experience. I learned about the gastric sleeve this past fall when I went on an all-ladies trip to Dallas. There were several of the girls there who had weight-loss surgeries. For all of the ones with the LapBand, they were still significantly overweight. For those with the gastric sleeve looked FABULOUS AND HEALTHY! Of course, I wanted to sign up for the sleeve immediately! Since then, I have heard recently that black women do not do well with the LapBand. Has anyone else heard this? I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you and look forward to mountains of success stories!!!
  48. tina2me2002
    tina2me2002
    Hello everyone my name is Tina I'm 32 years old from Corona CA. I am a wife and mother of 3 wonderful boy ages 17-15-6.! I have just started my journey to getting sleeve about a week ago, my starting weight is 254 lbs. My goal is to get down to 135 lbs. I have orientation June 6 and I see my dietitian on June 16th. I'm looking forward to all the wonderful progress story's and everyone's journey
  49. williams3234
    williams3234
    Hello, I am Helen and i'm 44yrs old from Birmingham, Al. I am a mother of a 26yrs old son and is one step closer to getting gastric sleeve surgery. I started this process in early April and now I am waiting for my insurance company to give me my approval. I would like to have the surgery next month (June), but I would be okay if I have to wait till July. My highest weight has been around 263, I am currently 242 and have a goal weight of 148. I look forward to sharing this journey with you all and hope to get better insight on issues that effect african americans that have wls.
  50. newday71
    newday71
    HI Im Maritza and I was sleeved 5 days ago. I weighed in at 306 with height of 5 ft 3. Im of Caribbean heritage and food is always a big part of my life and my family's. I think my weight has influenced friendships and relationships ( not in a good way) I hope this will be the start of better life choices for me.
  51. tk123
    tk123
    Hello everyone. I am Latoya from TN. I had a revision from the lap band to the sleeve. I had my sleeve done on 5-29-14. SO today is day 4. I started at 220 lbs and I am 5'1. My goal is 140-150. anything lower and I look like at skeleton. I am very excited to start this journey again. I look forward to all of our success. As far as the lap band is concerned I did great with it. I went from 230 to 140 in about 8-10 months. But I was having fertility issues and started taking very big pills and had to have the fluid taken out. That was about a 2 year process of steroids and big horse pills. after the baby it was struggle to find the port. And even with the band almost at the maximum I still couldn't loose weight. That's why I decided to go with the sleeve. I paid cash for mine. In Alabama is one of the cheaper states I had DR Schmidt in Birmingham, Alabama. I went to work today on day 4, I was driving yesterday (I did not take any pain meds just Tylenol) and I feel like I'm doing ok. I look on youtube a lot at videos. I know we are going to do great. Culturally our definition of sexy and beautiful involves curves. So our goals seem higher but we just look good. )))) so good luck everybody.
  52. grace7383
    grace7383
    Just wanted to ask a quick question. I will come back and introduce myself, I promise. Does anyone know if there is a maximum age to have sleeve surgery? Will doctors not do it for a senior citizen?
  53. monalisa
    monalisa
    Hello All,
    My name is Mona Lisa and I live in Chicago, Ill. I am a wife and mother of 1. I have done orientation, dietitian, nutrition, psychiatrist, sleep apnea test and now I am waiting for my insurance company to give me my approval. I am hoping to have the gastric sleeve done sometime in July 2014.
  54. BillyJ
    BillyJ
    Hello, I am a wife, mother of 2 and stepmother to 5 living in San Antonio TX. My cardiologist said have the surgery or have a stroke. My insurance would not cover it so I paid out of pocket. I had the sleeve on July 15th and my sugar levels are better than they have been since 1999. It was well worth the investment. On my surgery date I was 324. My highest was 336. My husband, bless his heart, said my size never mattered but my health did and he has been amazingly supportive. I have an autistic son and my sister came in from Fort Washington Md to help take care of him for the 1st week. The main thing I can say is we need help for the first few days but after about 5 days for me I feel like I am back to my normal self.
  55. rubixrose
    rubixrose
    Hi, my name is Jewel and I live in Redondo Beach, California. I am 5'5 and I was sleeved on 7/9/14. My before surgery weight was 247 today I am 232. The hard part for me is my eating adjustment and motivation to work out.
    I am a mother of 2 girls ages 4 ad 12. Even though I have a mate at home who is totally against me having the surgery. So, I have no support system except for online groups. So I am happy that this one is here for me.
  56. nickaj2815
    nickaj2815
    Hello everyone!! I am a 41 year old female that has done everything for my family, and now it is time to do something for me. I live in Indianapolis, IN. My family and close friends don't understand why I am considering this, but I stand (flat footed) at 5'5, and my current weight is 236 lbs. And I have struggled with weight issues most of my life. Its time for me to love myself and be happy with my weight. I have never quite felt like I a weigh....I know that sounds weird. But I have always felt like a smaller person in a larger persons body. its time to make my outside match my insides. I am here looking for answers and support from those who have already had the surgery. And of course advise.....
  57. SiaESin
    SiaESin
    Hey everyone! My name is Shavon. I am from San Diego, California and my surgery is scheduled for Thursday, April 23, just around the corner. My sister and I are doing the surgery together, so we can support each other. I have to admit I am terrified and excited and terrified. I can't wait to start this journey.
  58. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Hello everyone I just wanted to say welcome to everyone I have not welcomed to the community of sleevers.
  59. kiaka52
    kiaka52
    Hi my name is Kiki RN I live in Phoenix AZ im 52 years old and I have had 2 failed lap bands I was 298 before the first band was placed in 2007 and my weight dropped to 165 but my band slipped in 2009 and had to be replaced. When I had my second band placed after 6months I never lost weight like I did with the first one instead I gained it that band slipped in 2012 and had to be removed. My bariatric surgeon suggested the VSG but my new insurance does not have a weight loss surgery benefit so off I go to Mexico my surgery date July 13,2015 my weight right now is 260 im 5'6. I'm excited about surgery I can get rid of all those comorbids I had before are back HTN, Diabetes, Sleep Apnea and pain in my knees after working 3 12 hour shifts.
  60. ev1223
    ev1223
    hello! My name is Felicia from Atlanta, GA. I was just sleeved on Tuesday, June 2nd. I am feeling well , but trying to sip my liquids in and get ride of these air bubbles. Looking forward to the journey.
  61. neaty521
    neaty521
    Hello everyone!

I am 26 weighing in a 309 pounds. I was told to lose about 22 pounds before surgery and I have about 13 more to go. My surgery is scheduled for one month from now on Sept 1, 2015. I live in the UK but I am having surgery in Lithuania due to it being over priced here.

I have been overweight ALL my life. I was even fat as a baby. I have had successful weight loss attempts, so I know I can lose the weight.

I am a few days into my pre-op diet. Which is basically two shakes a day with a small low carb meal at night. Anyone else doing a pre-op diet??
  62. ChunRenee
    ChunRenee
    Hello everyone!

I am 29 and hoping to have the sleeve done as I was semi successful with lap band before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and gaining over 80lbs back. I have a lot of weight to lose and my under active thyroid just isn't helping me even with medication. so I am hoping to start the process and find a doctor that i will be successful with.
  63. Lashunda78
    Lashunda78
    hello

I'm 36 years old and weight in at 266lbs. I'll be having the gastric sleeve October 20,2015, in Biloxi,Mississippi. I've been big since childhood and has had 5 beautifu babies and now i'm ready to live a beautiful healthy life to enjoy my children. If anybody can give me some insides on what to expect the day of and after for the fist few weeks it would help to explain better knowledge to my children thanking you all in advance
  64. Teriona
    Teriona
    Hello everyone

I am Carleen from the Sunshine State Florida. Originally from Jamaica but the USA has been home for the past 23 years. I just got my date for my surgery and I am super excited. High blood pressure and borderline diabetes is not a welcome option in my life. I was always very very active until my knee started hurting when I run, which is what I like to do. I have always battled with my weight, every since I was a little girl and I am just tired. I have done every diet in the world...almost. I have diet books you name it and I have done it. I just don't want to live like this anymore. I thank you all for being so candid and supportive, this means a whole lot to me. If it wasn't for this forum I probably would not have made the decision to do it so thanks again. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
  65. Teriona
    Teriona
    Hello everyone

I am Carleen from the Sunshine State Florida. Originally from Jamaica but the USA has been home for the past 23 years. I just got my date for my surgery and I am super excited. High blood pressure and borderline diabetes is not a welcome option in my life. I was always very very active until my knee started hurting when I run, which is what I like to do. I have always battled with my weight, every since I was a little girl and I am just tired. I have done every diet in the world...almost. I have diet books you name it and I have done it. I just don't want to live like this anymore. I thank you all for being so candid and supportive, this means a whole lot to me. If it wasn't for this forum I probably would not have made the decision to do it so thanks again. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12