Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

INTRODUCTIONS: Please feel free to introduce youself, post pics and tell us about your journey!

1. good2me
    good2me
    Hello, my name is Starla. My surgery is scheduled for August 3rd and is creeping up on me (5 1/2 weeks away). I haven't always been as overweight as I am now but have always struggled with my weight. I went from 220 lbs in 2012 when I first got married, which was my heaviest at that time, to my current weight of 325 and highest in May at 349. I also have PCOS, so hello to all my sisters out there, the struggle is real. I am hoping that my symptoms from the PCOS will decrease dramatically once the weight is off. While my weight loss journey begins with the surgery I know that there will be many aspects of my life that I will need to change to continue to be healthy and happy. I'm excited about most of these changes and a little sad because that includes leaving a marriage I've been unhappy in since I said "I do" in 2012. I wish everyone all the success in the world!!
  2. TravelinGal
    TravelinGal
    Hi. I'm Robin. I've always struggled with my weight and my highest weight was 311. I started trying to cut back/not "finish my plate" and got down to 289. My dr has me started on Atkins to drop what I can before my surgery on August 17.

I'm from Aurora, CO.

I'm kind of a goof ball. I like to joke around.

Well, here's to August!!
  3. hd4tm
    hd4tm
    Hello, my name is Heidi and I am from Greeley CO... My whole life I have been on the plus size... My largest self weighed in at 340. That was about two years ago, I feel like I have yoyo dieting ever since. I am currently at 279 and scheduled to have surgery August 26. I am super excited to get the sleeve and start all a new.
  4. TravelinGal
    TravelinGal
    Hi Heidi!
  5. Noesj
    Noesj
    Hi Starla, Robin and Heidi and everyone else. My name is Marielle and I will be having my surgery in Belgium on August the 20th. We are Dutch expats living in the Middle East. I have been researching the gastric sleeve for quite some time now. A few weeks ago I decided to really go ahead and research my options. Before I knew it I was in contact with the people from the obesity clinic of Dr Dillemans (the surgeon I want for the operation) and yesterday they confirmed the day of my operation. I am a bit in shock - it all went so fast (I guess if you pay yourself it can be arranged quickly) but I am also ready and very excited to start my new life. I have struggled with my weight all my adult life, tried all sorts of diets but clearly need something more. I am determined to turn it all around with this operation. But I have to admit I am a bit nervous for the operation.... The clinic told me to go on a slimfast diet 2 weeks before the operation (which means I have to start while we are vacationing in Greece in an all inclusive resort... )
    I am currently at 282 - the highest I have ever been.
  6. TravelinGal
    TravelinGal
    Hi Marielle!
  7. good2me
    good2me
    Hi Robin, Heidi and Marielle!! Welcome to the group I have already started on my 6 week pre-op diet as my surgery is now only 5 weeks away. I am allowed 2-3 protein shakes a day. All the veggies I want and 2 (4oz) servings of a lean meat. No fruit, no sugar, no milk products. It has been challenging to say the least. I am also suppose to practice not drinking anything 30 minutes before and after I eat. I am also trying not to gulp as that won't be a possibility after the surgery but when your thirsty its hard not to gulp. I have only lost 13 lbs last month so I hope with this pre-op diet I lose more and that my liver will be in good condition for surgery. Best wishes to you Marielle with your diet during your vacation, YOU CAN DO IT!!
  8. Noesj
    Noesj
    Wow it seems you are all way ahead of me and already on a diet. I bought some slimfast protein shakes to see if I like them and just tried one...omg I already know I will have a very hard time drinking only that!!!
  9. carla3
    carla3
    Hi! I am Carla. Having surgery August 11, the pre-surgery diet makes me a little nervous. I was told to start it 10 days prior to surgery, I was reading
    another post where someone is talking about their 6 week pre-op, am I confused on my instructions? I sure want to do everything I am supposed to do.
  10. carla3
    carla3
    I guess I should also say I am from Texas, I have been overweight since about the 8th grade, but I am at my very heaviest now -286. I am just
    so miserable, I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time, I know quite a few people that have gone this route and have done well
    and have been successful. Once I decided to do it, everything (scheduling, money, a partner to travel with) just fell into place so I feel like it was
    meant to be, and I thank God for all of this. I wish all of you good luck also. Any advice would be appreciated.
  11. good2me
    good2me
    Hi Carla, welcome to the group I too feel like everything came perfectly together, after I was denied by our insurance, and decided to do self-pay. I am thankful that going through insurance was not the only route available but also disappointed to find out that with all the money we pay towards insurance they can have a "no bariatric surgery" clause. It is interesting to see all the different pre-op diets that our doctors have us on!
  12. Sunshine72
    Sunshine72
    Hello everyone! My name is Dayna. I am booked for surgery August 31, in Tijuana with Dr Allmanza. I have struggled with my weight for years. I think a lot of it has to do with medication and hormone replacement for me since the age of 26. I am now 42, and it's my turn. Somewhere along the way I started dealing with extreme depression and anxiety. I have worked hard to manage my depression for 9 years, and now I'm going to beat this weight. I am excited, and nervous!! Mostly excited....lol One of my friends had this done in January, and has been such an inspiration to me, and has been my cheerleader all the way! You know how sometimes it seems divine intervention places people in your path of life at the time you need them? That's who she is to me, my angel friend 😊 I am choosing the sleeve, to better my life, and my health, and to become the person I know I can be.
  13. good2me
    good2me
    Hi Dayna! Welcome to the group I too have dealt with some pretty major depression for the last 10 years of my life, I am 38. I know that much of mine has been hormone related too as I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my mid 20's. Do you feel like the hormone replacement has helped you somewhat and what kind of changes do you notice? I am hoping that the weight loss alleviates some of the symptoms I have related to the PCOS as the added weight that I have put on in the last 3 years has only exasperated them. I am nervous about my surgery and excited like you. I'm already planning what activities I want to participate in when I feel well enough and or can fit. My best friend is following my progress and doing the pre-op diet with me and will continue to do the post-op with me but without the surgery. She hasn't decided yet if it's for her or not. It's just nice to have the support when so many people in my life are skeptical and non supportive like my husband. I could never have imagined that this would be my journey but I am ready to steer this ship in the direction of my dreams and stop being just a passenger!
  14. Lonnalove
    Lonnalove
    Hi everyone...Lonna here. I had my first consultation this week and scheduled surgery for August 25th. I'm nervous post op because I have a 5 month old and it's going to be hard taking it easy with her. I have been over weight since I was 21.... When I was 20 I weighted 155 pounds....I am now at my heaviest of 314. That's hard to type that. I guess bad habits aNd boredom lead to my weight gain. It really sneaks up on you before you know it. When I diet I do really well for 3 months but that's usually about when I stop. I am hoping this gives me the tool to sustain long term. I am nervous about removi 85% of my stomach. Considering I'm very over weight I am really healthy(for now) no diabetes, no high BP, no high cholesterol, I had no issue getting pregnant and had a easy pregnancy and vaginal birth in January. So I am nervous because I always feel really good....I hope I'm not doing something to my body that might give me health complications down the road.
  15. good2me
    good2me
    Welcome Lonna and Happy 4th of July EVERYONE! I can relate to the statement you made about "weight sneaking up on you". I too have struggled with my weight over the years but it wasn't until 3 years ago that I got over the 200 lb mark and hit a high weight of 325 recently. I am a little older than you at 38 and not as lucky in the health department. This excess weight has caused me mobility issues by putting extra stress on my back, my feet and hands swell due to edema and I have high blood pressure. Not to mention that I have PCOS and it aggravates my symptoms. The weight has been coming off slowly on the pre-op diet I was given and is a little depressing. I do know though that I am going to do whatever I need to do to get back to being healthy and happy! I know that taking the bariatric vitamins and following a more restrictive diet and exercising is going to be key in my success after surgery! Best wishes to you in your weightloss journey and keeping up with your little one
  16. TravelinGal
    TravelinGal
    Well, I'm out-a-here - my date has changed and I'm getting sleeved on JULY 27!!!!

Wishing all of you the best!
    Robin
  17. good2me
    good2me
    How exciting Robin!! All the best to you too
  18. KJH300
    KJH300
    I just joined this form and I love how supportive you all are!

Keep telling your journey! I'm just as nervous! Time creeps up on you!
  19. good2me
    good2me
    Hi KJH300 and welcome to the group! Time definitely goes by fast when you're anticipating being sleeved. I am currently 3 weeks and 2 days from my surgery date of August 3rd. I am a little nervous but mostly excited to get this show on the road, lol! Best wishes to you on your journey Starla
  20. mackie0601
    mackie0601
    Hello everyone, sorry but I do not have a picture to post! I began struggling with my weight 10 years ago after a car accident left me with a severe left ankle injury. My activity level went from "Energizer Bunny" mode to "Couch Potato" mode. My weight has literally doubled. My first appointment with Dr. Akkary was in January 2015...and it has been just a pretty standard "6 month process". I mentioned in an earlier post, the only real hold up was my sleep study results getting to my surgeon in a timely manner. My information was submitted to Highmark BCBS of West Virginia on July 2nd and I knew by July 7th (so, it only took 2-3 business days). My VSG is scheduled for AUGUST 3RD!!!!!
  21. good2me
    good2me
    Hi Mackie0601 and welcome to the group! My surgery is also on the 3rd! Sorry to hear that you were involved in a car accident and suffered injuries. I can not imagine how awful that must have been. It sounds like your approval process went smoothly and now you're on your way I have insurance through Aetna and did not realize there was a no bariatric surgery clause so I am self-pay. I believe that if you really want something though that you find a way!
  22. Sylvia2
    Sylvia2
    Hi everyone!! I am scheduled for surgery Aug 14 with Dr Almanza. My cousin and I are doing this together, it is very exciting and a little scary. It is nice to read all of the success stories and hear about the experience of others. My husband is supportive of my doing this and that helps. I have not told a lot of people though. Guess I am scared of criticism. I am 58 and we are raising our grand-daughter who is 3.5 so I am hoping to have more energy to keep up with her and maybe even be able to put on a swimsuit and join in the fun instead of sitting in a lawn chair!! My weight has gone up and down for years. I have tried every diet and had some success only to gain back everything I had lost. Good luck to all of us on this journey!!
  23. ChefK87
    ChefK87
    Hello everyone. I am having surgery on the 17th. Hope to be able to talk with others experiencing the same things as me. Today is day 2 of my pre-op liquid diet. This evening was tough!
  24. good2me
    good2me
    Hi EVERYONE I am now 6 days post-op and doing well! I was most scared about the surgery and so far that was the easiest part, lol. I am on my first week post op diet and having lots of 100% juices, sugar-free popcicles, sugar-free jello. My doctor recommends 64 oz a day to lessen the chance of becoming dehydrated. It is really hard to get that much liquid down at this point but I go at it all day. I will post my post op diet to the main page forum as I know some of you have not received instructions from your doctors. This is our month!!
  25. jshannon2005
    jshannon2005
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm joining the August group....got the best news ever today! Was scheduled for 14 September and got a call today saying they had a cancelation for 31 August did I want to move up?! Or course I said yes! So here I am getting ready to start my liquid, soft/pureed diet on Monday! I'm so excited and nervous and can't wait to join the Loser's Bench!

My name is Jenny and I have been on this journey for about 6 months now as the doc requires nutrition classes for 6 months. I did pretty good on it and only lost about 4 lbs. I have PCOS also that I was diagnosed with in 2008! Hoping to see some of it go away after I have surgery. My family is not being super supportive other then my husband and girls!
  26. Lmm300m
    Lmm300m
    Having surgery Wednesday been on liquids only since last Wednesday. I get tired but have perks of energy. I've already lost close to 50 lb since meeting with my Pcp in January. I'm 60. Needing all the encouraging post you can add. Thanks L
  27. good2me
    good2me
    Hi jshannon2005 and Lmm300m and welcome to the group! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery dates! jshannon2005 I also have PCOS and am anxious to see if the weight loss will lesson my symptoms as I have heard it has for many. I am 13 days post op and doing well! I am sorry to hear that you don't have all the support you want at this time. I had a hard time convincing my best friend that this was the best option for me and she fought me on it right up to surgery day. Now that I have had the surgery and am doing well she is supportive and I think was only initially worried about my welfare but didn't know how to say it. Lmm300m, good luck on your liquid diet, as I know the doctors appreciate having patients that follow it precisely and don't have fatty livers which can cause surgical complications. Good work on losing the 50 lbs so far before your surgery. I lost 24 on my own and 16 since the 3rd for a total of 40. Best wishes to both of you in your upcoming surgeries ad keep in touch!
  28. bubblez0269
    bubblez0269
    My name is Kim, I am currently meeting with a bariatric surgeon and getting qualified for the sleeve. My BMI is 35.2, I am worried that the insurance company will not approve me for the surgery. I am on BP meds, and am pre-diabetic, I just hope that I can get approved for this surgery so that I can feel better
  29. good2me
    good2me
    Hi Kim and welcome to the group! I have heard of some getting approved for VSG with a low BMI with co morbidities. Best of luck to you in your journey. Keep us updated on how everything is going