Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

So much negativity!!

1. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Up to this point I have been ecstatic about my upcoming surgery date!
    I researched for over 1 year before deciding to go with weightloss agents and Dr A.
    But the past few days there has been a sudden increase in negative posts about him, his staff, and treatment!
    I feel confident in my decision but with all the negativity of course it raises a concern.
    Is it that I'm Hyperaware of all the posts because I'm getting closer to my surgery date?
    Thank you to all who have shared your POSITIVE experiences thus far.

PS: before my surgery date I decided to go to my PCP and get up to date with where I am health wise.
    If my labs would have come back saying I'm diabetic, I was going to cancel my surgery only because the chance of infection is greater, not just in Mexico but here in the states too. I'm pleased to announce all of my levels came back within normal limits!!! I'm a healthy big girl lol

Questions: The person going to Mexico with me misplaced her passport what other documents can she bring?
    Should I book my private room now or wait till I get to Tijuana?
  2. SharraMorris
    SharraMorris
    I had my surgery Feb 5th. I'm doing great. I'm down 78lbs. I had no complications. Just don't expect an American hospital w all the comforts. I did book my private room before so I was assured of having one when I got there so there was no wait. Follow the instructions and you will be fine.
  3. Jmichelle
    Jmichelle
    Having worked in healthcare for the last 20 years, I have seen and heard it all, so I have a different perspective on complaints etc. I read the negative complaints, but I take them with a grain of salt and understand that people will have vastly different experiences no matter what the situation may be. If we took every horror story out there to heart and let them affect our every decision, we would never leave our homes. And as with any surgery, there is ALWAYS risk! You have done your research, weighed the pros and cons, and have made your decision. Trust your instinct.
    I had no issues either, I'm now 8 weeks out and cruising right along. As the poster stated above, It's not a sprawling state of the art hospital, but all of the necesssary equip is there and it was clean.

I don't have a passport, so I took my drivers license and birth certificate. No problems.

Good luck with your trip, follow the directions, make sure you have told WLS everything there is to know about your health (full disclosure is always important)and you will be okay.
  4. kerrikoplin
    kerrikoplin
    Book your room in advance through booking.com. They may not have availability once you get there for a private room.
  5. CeciG
    CeciG
    Hello I was sleeved last Saturday (5/2) and was pleasantly surprised on how smooth my whole experience went. It was far better than I imagined it to be. Of course, you can't go to Mexico expecting the up to date hospitals and equipment that we have here in the states, but rest assured that they have all that they need! Keep in mind that in Mexico you are paying 1/4 of what you'd pay here in the states and it's exactly because they have what they need, no extras. Dr. Almanza and his staff were all very nice! (Not to mention he's quite handsome himself ) I had a private room at the Hotel Real del Rio because my Mom went with me and we were also very happy with the room. I strongly recommend that you book in advance! People come in everyday and if you wait until you arrive you may have to wait a while for a room. Booking through Expedia was the best rate I could find. Hope this message helps comfort you some. I completely understand how you feel, there were times that I too doubted my decision, but now that it's done I'm happy I didn't back out. Since day one of my pre-op diet (4/27) I have lost 20lbs!! This also assures me that I made the right decision. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me. I'm glad to help! Good luck!!
  6. Suzie B
    Suzie B
    Hi there , I was sleeved on the 24th. I went by myself and was so pleasantly surprise and touched by the compassion and genuine concern from all the nurses. They took great care in making sure we were all comfortable. We only saw Dr. A once just prior to surgery. He did his job and then the nurses took over. All in all a very good experience. Be sure to take some bouillon with you as the hotel soup was flavorless. The most important thing you can do for your discomfort is to get up and walk , walk and walk some more. I even rocked myself back and forth to get rid of the post gas from the surgery. Other than that a really good experience.
  7. JMiller
    JMiller
    Girl I so agree with you. As you can tell from some of my recent post. I think I have come to the conclusion that the last person that posted was fake from another agency (the one talking about resleeve and dr a screwing up her incisions). I have read much more positive than negative and I have decided I am pushing all the negative aside and going for it. I am sure we will run into each other since we just a day apart. Let's just focus on positive energy Andi KNOW we will be fine. I can't wait. I was getting nervous. But now I think I am getting more excited.
  8. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Thank you all so much for your replies!!! I am feeling much more relieved!
    Additionally, thank you for the advise to book the hotel in advance. I just called they only had 4 rooms remaining for the first week of June!!!! I have officially booked my private room!
    It's getting so real now!!! And thank you JMichelle, I'll let my roomie know that with her ID and Birth Certificate she'll be fine.
  9. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Yes JMiller - Positivity all the way!!! Keep in touch!! Ill private message you my number and see if we meet up there!!! I am nervous, excited, anxious.. Everything will be fine!
  10. JMiller
    JMiller
    Ok girl. Damn I think I need to call and get a private room also if they are getting booked already.
    I was thinking of sharing the night before surgery and the night of surgery we are in hospital but then just have a private room after we come back for the next 2 days. So only have to pay for a private room for 2 of the days instead of the week. But then again I am going alone. Hubby has to stay here and run our business. No down time. And I don't want to tell family. They will be negative about it cause I had such problems with the lap band. But it's not the same but they won't want to hear about it and I don't feel like listening to it. I can read enough negativity on here I don't need my family doing it also. My husband is behind me that's all that matters. Lol
  11. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    im with yall - i have surgery in just over a week... thinking of saying 'bye felicia' to the forums until later as theres about as much drama with those posters as my teenage daughters school. lol

wife had a great experience - her friend did also (she also ran the boston marathon just a couple months after her surgery)

another friend - he went with another company (lighter me iirc) and he didnt like the experience and wished he had gone somewhere else. fwiw...
  12. Kee77
    Kee77
    I am 8 weeks out have lost 55 pounds. My surgery was with Dr.Almanza
  13. JMiller
    JMiller
    Awesome Kee. I would give anything to lose 50 pounds in 2 months. I have surgery on 6/1 and I will be going to sturgis on a motorcycle 8/1 so I am hoping to lose at least 20-30. 50 would kick ass. Lol
  14. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Did any of you have a list of questions that you wanted to ask Dr. Almanza?
    I do! Yes, ill be that annoying person with 120 questions, some embarrassing some not, but there is no shame with me. I am perfectly fine asking the questions everyone is thinking.
    One of my bucket list goals after surgery (1 year) is to go Sky Diving!
    Has anyone had anything on their bucket list they have accomplished OR want to accomplish?
  15. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    dont know about others - but with the portal and phone calls - i get about everything answered that i want to know.
  16. blemons
    blemons
    I am going with a guest but I am having surgery the same day I.arrive so should I book.the hotel in her name because I will.be in.the hospital that night? And will someone take her to the hotel???
  17. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Blemons.
    When you make the reservation you can book it under both of your names just add hers next to yours.
    I was advised by weightlossagents reps that yes, transportation will be provided to and from the hospital for our guests. They are able to come with us at all times, to all pre-op and post-op visits, the only thing is they cannot spend the night at the hospital with us due to space BUT they will bring them to the Hotel. Your guest will just need the credit card the reservation was made with. Hope this helped. Again, this is what I was told by weightoss agents
  18. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Seriously, I am more nervous about the 8hr flight (and the damn seat belt) to San Diego than I am the surgery...
  19. blemons
    blemons
    Thank you!!
  20. zoey101
    zoey101
    KaychieB,

Just a suggestion, you said you have a ton of questions for Dr. Almanza. I would get as many questions as possible answered before you go. First of all he doesn't speak great English and has someone answer allot of the questions for him. Second of all he definitely does not have time to answer to many questions at all he wants to get in there meet everyone and answer 2 or 3 questions take pics with each patient and get started. Another reason is you have usually 10 or so other patients that just want to get it over with and don't want to hear someones million questions. There was a person in our group that tried that and all I can say is the rest of the patients were ready to kill him by the time he was done. Somebody actually spoke up and said "if you have all these questions and didn't properly do your research then why the "F" are you here". You have to keep in mind how nervous other people may be and that makes people have very little patience for extra questions. You absolutely can do what ever you want but again I would do all my research beforehand not wait until the morning of. Good luck!
  21. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Thanks for your suggestion Zoey. I was exaggerating the fact that I had a ton of questions. A few but not many. Most have been answered by weightloss agents. In the moment though, Ill probably have some depending what he talks about. And while I am there I hope to be able to help those around me with the language as well since I am fluent in both Spanish and English. Sometimes even the person translating have accents and are hard to understand.
  22. PamelaShelton
    PamelaShelton
    Dr A tells you that he will remove 85% of your stomach through 5 incisions and that he is not good with English, but great with his hands. Then he takes pictures. He will tell you that the hormone that causes hunger will be removed. I have found that NOT to be true in my case, but I have still lost 40 pounds since the end of Feb. I am a nurse and saw NO problems with the care, cleanliness, etc. The broth at the hotel is bland, but the freeze pops are good. Ask for the "Happy Meal" the day before surgery.....They have a protocol that works and they are like clock work. Blood draws, cardio testing, monetary information and surgery....you spend the night before in the hotel, night of surgery in the hospital, ex ray of stomach the next day...then back to the hotel. I and others actually went shopping the day after surgery ( with IV in) as there is a shopping mall around the corner.
    The trip home was exhausting and probably the hardest part. If I did it again, I would get a non-stop flight!

Overall, I would do it all again....very happy with my weight loss so far, but that is not why I did the surgery, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes II were all an issue. My blood pressure is down/ WNL, my blood sugars are down/WNL and I go see the doctor for blood tests for the cholesterol and A1c.....I also met some great people and have kept in touch with them. I am definitely considering a makeover after I have lost all the weight I want to feel good, be healthy and hopefully look great!!

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy your new life.....shopping for smaller clothes is really a boost to the moral.
  23. PamelaShelton
    PamelaShelton
    There is a nurse at the hospital that learned English by watching English comics on TV. Her dad made her and her siblings watch. Her name is Arline, if I remember correctly. Tell her I said "Hi".
  24. momma_moreno
    momma_moreno
    Some of you say to book the hotel beforehand on expedia or booking.com ..... does the cost that is stated on Dr. Almanza's website not include the hotel stay?
  25. missbybee
    missbybee
    @momma_moreno - The cost includes the hotel if you are traveling alone. If you bring a guest with you, you have to book the hotel on your own.
  26. momma_moreno
    momma_moreno
    Thank you!
  27. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    I booked my hotel through Expedia and it was $68/night
    My guest and I split the cost so it wasn't bad.