Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My experience was not what I'd hoped for

1. Mama-Oh!
    Mama-Oh!
    Good luck to you.

If you go to Dr. Almanza, please make sure you communicate any issues you have with anxiety or previous issues with anesthesia complications. Make sure that you take all rx medications that you brought with you and ask the nurses if you can take them with water on your own. I did not communicate well and ended up having some problems. I ended up leaving and going back to the States right after my surgery due to some heart rhythm and anxiety issues. I checked into t hospital here and got stable and had a CT scan of my surgery site. They said the surgery was pristine.
  2. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    Weird. 2 people I know had surgery just 2 and 3 months ago. One is on synthroid and the other is on multiple meds including blood pressure and diabetic. Both took their meds as directed by their US Doctors without issue. Before, day of and post surgery.
  3. Mama-Oh!
    Mama-Oh!
    I'm glad to hear that.

I should also say that I didn't really have significant pain issues and not being on the pain meds seemed to keep me from having the nausea that a lot of people were having. I walked about 6,600 steps the day after surgery.

I'm not sure what went wrong with the communication with the meds, but I wasn't alone. I'm pretty sure we were told not to take them. I can't remember if I took them the evening before surgery or not. If not, that would have been on me. It's all a blur.
  4. Cueweight
    Cueweight
    I'm so glad to hear that you are okay and you are back home. I'm a nurse and I have 6 patients every night here in the states. So 6 is overwhelming amount of patients but standard here as well.
  5. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    i agree on the communication... i had asked the same since i have meds i take. but for each of them they had instructions to continue to take their meds (granted they brought their own).

the only issue was one of them had issues with the pain med that was used by the hospital. had she known their name for it - she couldve told them she has poor reaction to the medicine tramadol (it makes her dizzy and puke even at the lowest dose). once they stopped it - she was much better. i wonder if you were having some of the side effects of the medicine since it includes heart palpitations.
  6. Mama-Oh!
    Mama-Oh!
    I think so, someguyjeff. After I wrote all of this out, I started to think about other surgeries that I've had, and especially my son's surgeries. He always comes out of the surgical anesthesia very agitated. I'm pretty sure that that's what happened to me. I think the recovery time was pretty short and there wasn't adequate monitoring of patients due to the smaller weekend staff. When I started to have heart issues, I think that just exacerbated my reaction of agitation. And after that, all bets were off. My daughter says that this is a pretty common surgical reaction (complication) and I know that I have issues with a lot of drugs, so I'm thinking this is what happened. I'm sure that they gave me something that caused me heart issues, because the first thing they did when I complained of heart palpitations was to switch me to normal saline. Then I had pain and agitation. Not a good combo. The good news is that I'm home and well.

It doesn't excuse them from monitoring me and getting me the help I needed, but it does kind of make me feel a little better about the entire experience.

My middle of the night emails to weight loss agents are pitiful. They make me really sad.
  7. Crybaby
    Crybaby
    I'm sorry you had a scary experience. I got lucky, I guess. I was in the room with four beds and we were silent all night. It was kind of weird but it was quiet. We happened to have no problems but the boys room was very miserable through the night. I'm very happy that everything checked out at the ER for you. That is awesome!! Good luck with your future experiences and weight loss
  8. PennyV
    PennyV
    Wow, Mama-Oh that is truly a bad situation. I leave for TJ this Friday with surgery on Saturday. I was super excited until I read your post. Now I am wondering if I am doing the right thing. I have had no issues with previous surgeries, but I am still concerned now. WLA have been supportive to this point, but I have a weekend surgery coming up. Yikes!!!
  9. Mama-Oh!
    Mama-Oh!
    I'm sure you'll do fine, PennyV! I think you'll do especially well if you've had other surgeries without issues. I've had similar issues with surgeries in the States. I'm feeling fine now.

I did tons of research before deciding on Dr. Almanza. I think I just had a reaction to the anesthesia. And I'm a very anxious person in general. Just go over any questions or concerns during your intake.

Thousands of people choose Dr. Almanza every year. You are not going to find a better surgeon.
  10. blemons
    blemons
    this is an irrelevant question but during surgery do you wear a hospital gown or your own clothes?
  11. bjenkins6226
    bjenkins6226
    I had surgery on April 10th and had a excellent exp with everything! best decision no psin at all and feel great!
  12. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    I'm so sorry you had a scary experience!!
    I am so glad that you are home and doing well now.
    Thank you for posting your experience as these are things sometimes we don't think about but can definitely happen. Because of your experience, you have helped others to ensure they communicate their medications, previous surgical experiences, anxiety and concerns more thoroughly!
  13. PennyV
    PennyV
    I had my surgery this past Saturday, the 18th. Everything went according to plan except timelines. For a person who lives by the schedule like I do, it was VERY disturbing when things did not happen when they told me they would be done. So, when staff tell you something will happen at such and such time, take it with a grain of salt and you will be more relaxed. Never fear that everything will happen, but it will not always be when expected.