Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

50 days until my life changes forever!

1. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    I a m so thankful to everyone who has posted about their experience on here. I am 100% confident in my decision to go Tijuana and have surgery with Dr. Almanza. I leave from Orlando, FL on June 1st and return on June 5th.
    At first, I was nervous but had done so much research that I was okay with my decision. But thanks to you guys I am certain I made the right choice.

I have never posted my weight anywhere but here it goes..
    I am 28 years old, I am not married and I have no children. I have been overweight all of my life. Obesity runs in both sides of my family. When I made my decision to have surgery I weighed almost 380lbs, I told myself that I want to lose some weight before my surgery and I have, I currently weigh 350lbs. Even at my size, I have no co-morbidity (sleep apnea, hypertension, high cholesteroll, diabetes) which is why my insurance will not pay for my surgery here in the states.

I am so ready that I wish I would have picked a sooner date. But since the flights and hotel reservations have already been booked, I will just IMpatiently wait.

I was thinking about paying cash when I get there but I am still unsure. Do you guys recommend doing the massage? Did any of you do any shopping? What do you feel are MUST HAVES when packing my bag to leave?
  2. Nancy23
    Nancy23
    I agree; I have Dr. Almanza too. It's interesting that when I see people post about their surgical procedure and problems afterwards, I immediately check the surgeons name. Far more are other names listed than Almanza but he gets the bad press.

I leave Thursday for my Friday procedure and can't wait to be sleeved. Good luck to you -waiting has been so hard for me and now it's right in front of me.
  3. Jmichelle
    Jmichelle
    I paid cash for the surgery, and I also went shopping too. One of the drivers will take you down to revolution avenue to shop. He will drive you down, and wait there for you. He will tell you when to meet back at the van.
    The beds in the hotel are firm, and the pillows are as well. If you like large, fluffy pillows, bring your own. I took a heating pad and extension cord also, which was soothing. I didn't get a massage, I don't know why the thought didn't cross my mind.Oh bring a couple of wash cloths. They don't provide those.
    You will receive a suggested packing list via email at about one week out.

I can't remember who it was, but someone made the remark a while back when I was researching the sleeve surgery. This person said to keep in mind that this is an open forum that anyone can join, so anyone, including competition, can post negative information about any doctor. There are going to be people that will have a bad experience, or complications that may not be attributed to the surgeon or the surgery itself. It's definately food for thought.
  4. KaychieB
    KaychieB
    Super random question.. Should I remove my acrylic nails for the surgery???
  5. SomeGuyJeff
    SomeGuyJeff
    id ask that question through the patient portal
  6. AmberNurse
    AmberNurse
    speaking as a nurse--yes remove them. We have to put a pulse ox on your finger---its that clip thing-- to monitor your oxygen and it doesn't like to work over artificial/ acrylic nails.