Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Meal of choice before surgery

1. Sneeki
    Sneeki
    Hi guys,

I am not seeing anyone here who can eat before their surgery.

My dietician said we can eat what we like the night before surgery and have a light breakfast as long as we are fasting from 7am the day of the surgery.

Anyone else this lucky?

I am worried it is not the right advice.
    Will wewake up with our stomach all in tact?
    They didn't do it?
  2. Joy48
    Joy48
    I had my surgery at the end of July this year and I didn't eat after midnight and I had nothing before surgery except a Gatorade that I sipped on and I had no complications, look at your doctor's instructions. My stomach was intact just smaller Good luck on your journey
  3. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    It depends on how large you are. I was 172 and only had to switch to liquids 2 days before and I fasted the day before like any surgery. Some people have to do pre-op diets for 2 weeks. Everyone is different. If your doctors didn't tell you to do a pre-op then it will be fine
  4. Dimplezzz2002
    Dimplezzz2002
    Every program is different and I must say yours is very lenient compared to mine. My program at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Il. requires a total liquid protein diet 1-2 weeks prior to surgery. The length depends on your pre-surgery BMI. If your BMI is 50 or above, two weeks; 49 or below, one week. When I asked why I was told the strict 800 calorie diet pre-surgery was necessary to shrink the liver to make the surgery easier to perform and to lessen the possibility for complications during surgery. Additionally, I was instructed there should be nothing by mouth after midnight the day prior to surgery.

I think though you should follow your dietitian's advice. You can also ask him/her about the differences in instructions you're reading on this web site and ask why her advice is so different?
  5. kimberly1968
    kimberly1968
    I wouldn't eat the day of surgery, most people have a lot of nausea with surgery. I am on the 2 week liquid diet. Started today
  6. amt5298
    amt5298
    i had to do the liver shrinking diet the full two weeks and nothing to eat after midnight the night before the surgery just a sip of water the next morning to take my morning pills
  7. Sneeki
    Sneeki
    Hi girls,

I think I didn't spell it out in the first message on here..

I have been on the pre-op diet for two weeks but my dietician tells us we can eat a meal of our choice the night before and have a light breakky then fast from 7am as my surgery is in the PM on 4th Dec.. Woohoo!!!
    I have just not heard of anyone being allowed to eat the night before after being on the diet...

Oh well might be different here in Aus hey??
    Most people here seem to be from USA!

8. Luann
    Luann
    Having solid food at all in your stomach in the last couple days before surgery sounds odd to me, but I would sure hope your dietician is advising patients correctly in keeping with the surgeon's expectations.
    I wasn't in need of a pre-op diet aside from 3 days of clear liquids before the surgery. I was so sick too post op, I hate to think of how bad it might have been having solid food the night before.
  9. Gina4
    Gina4
    I had surgery September 4th, my doctor required my to be on a low carb (under 20 grams) two weeks prior to surgery, clear liquid day before and nothing after midnight, my surgery time was 7am. I'm thinking if your surgery is late in the day liquid up to seven hours prior may be okay, but I would not eat solid food.
  10. kmvalade
    kmvalade
    Though my doctor hasn't put me on any diet...i am going to go to liquids so that I don't have to deal with a painful BM after surgery. I've had like 8 surgeries on my abdomen and intestines and believe me.....you want to try and clear your system before surgery...regardless of what anyone tells you you can do. I plan on having my favorite meal of filet mignon with feta cheese, broccoli, and a loaded mashed potato this week as my surger is next monday.