Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Coffee

1. cjsmom11
    cjsmom11
    I had my surgery on August 4, 2014. Everything went great. I was told not to drink coffee or caffeine for 6 weeks. I want to know what does it do to your stomach? Does it cause stretching, irritation, diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. I need coffee because i work at night and also go to school. Please let me know when its safe to have some caffeine, even if its coffee or a caffeine drink. Please help!
  2. BriThePie
    BriThePie
    Not sure it does much. I was able to drink it after 2 weeks, perhaps by now you could try it and see, we are all different cjsmom11, and aint that the truth!
  3. Joe Poppa
    Joe Poppa
    I was told I could have decaffeinated coffee, but I still have my cup of coffee, just that I switched to half-caffeinated (I got to get that java monkey off my back in the morning).

I was told regular coffee could be a stomach irritant and coffee has some effect on increasing the stomach acids and can affect nutrient absorption. Then again, doctors say how moderate coffee consumption lowers your risks of certain cancer as shown in experiments with laboratory rats.
    Personally, I think laboratory rats cause cancer.
  4. julrs13
    julrs13
    I was told not to drink caffeine as it can be an appetite stimulant. It can also cause stomach ulcers. My doctor recommended giving up caffeine, but not coffee forever.
  5. cjsmom11
    cjsmom11
    Thanks! I guess I will try a little coffee. I just didnt want to do anything that would stretch or damage the stomach. Thanks for responding. *cjsmom11*
  6. secretblonde
    secretblonde
    I work nights. ..drink decaf....and take b-12 vitamins. .good luck on your journey
  7. edubb99
    edubb99
    Caffeine is GI irritant...can cause some issues with healing of the new tummy. I would wait the required amt of time. If you drink too much too soon, it may delay healing. I'm pretty neurotic, and I wasn't going to do anything to mess this up! I started coffee after month 2 and have a cup EVERY morning--month 5 now. The fatigue during the first couple months is pretty bad anyway---I'm thinking you would probably be tired at some point even with a cup of coffee.
  8. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    I had gotten a small can of decaf before I had surgery so I would have it for when I got home. My first morning at home with my own coffee pot went something like this:

Make pot of Decaf

Poured a cup of Decaf - added powdered creamer as usual

Took a sip

Spit it out

Got in the car and went to the corner store for a real cup of coffee

lol Needless to say I HATE decaf coffee.
  9. catalina66
    catalina66
    i was told a cup a day would be fine, i have its been fine, but now wondering if it stops you from loosing weight and or dehydrates you?
  10. allicat86
    allicat86
    Coffee which was a must have in the am for me . I don't like it anymore. It makes my stomach feel uncomfortable. It makes me nauseaous . I can't handle it anymore don't even care for it really. It's crazy !