Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

My WLS Story with Alighterme/Dr.Lopez/TJ, Mexico the REAL DEAL

1. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Ok so here we go... ( sleeve date 5/22/13)I am going to post this on both forums that I belong to so all can see. My journey started months ago when my friend brought up getting WLS done in Mexico. I thought she was crazy!!! So I decided it would be my job to set out and do the research to prove why she should absolutley not do this.
    The more research I did the more my piece of humble pie grew. I spent countless hours researching and researching and researching... I found nothing wrong with Mexico. I actually decided it was safe enough that I would go also and have it done.
    So now the research shifted to what surgeon would we choose. I looked at all the surgeons that I could find that operated out of TJ. My friend and I both made calls and heard different stories from different patient coordinators. I was simply amazed at what a difference there was between the coordinators, Some are definately not nearly as professional as others. What a turn off!! Then I came across Alighterme. I initially spoke with their coordinator Ronda who got me very interested. While in conversation with her I found out that their other coordinator Janese had the sleeve done. I decided I wanted to speak with Janese to hear her personal experiences with it. So after filling out my health questionare Janese gave me a call. She was very personable and professional. She also made me feel very comfortable and never seemed bothered by my numerous numerous questions. I also had researched all over the message boards for info. on this team.
    After many phone calls and questions later my friend and I decided that this team was the team to go with. Janese emailed me all the info and phone numbers that I needed for our surgery, pre op , contacts in Mexico.
    So now the date had been set and tickets had been bought, the waiting game begins. As time approached new questions came to mind and it seemed that Janese was just a phone call away. Always happy to answer questions and give me her time. That really meant alot and was very reassuring.
    Ok let me skip forward a few weeks.. The dreaded pre op diet.. arrrrggghhh lol lol we all have to do it no matter what surgeon you have.... lol enough said
    So May 22nd is here and it is time to fly out to San Diego!!! The flight was long but we were traveling from Virginia. So we get to te San Diego airport and call our contact person Abraham to let him know that we were there. We let him know where we were at in the airport and he said the driver Ricardo would be there in just a few minutes. A few minutes later our driver came to bring us to the hospital In Mexico. Also in the van were 2 other girls that were getting their surgery with Dr.Lopez.
    So we get to the MiHospital in Mexico and I was completely impressed by the hospital, the nursing staff, and the Alighterme team who was there waiting for us. Eduardo, Abraham and Ricardo were all top notch!!! They were very friendly, informative and professional. I was feeling great at this point that we made the right descision. Everything was explained on great lengths about what each step was leading up to surgery. I appreciated that so very very much!!! So after we all got situated in our hospital rooms the different people that would be involved with our surgery made there way to our room to explain everything that was to go on and introduce themselves. How great it was to meet our Surgeons Dr.Lopez and Dr. Ortiz. They were very nice and have great bed side manners. Janese our coordinator had even decided to make a trip to Mexico that week so I got to meet her in person. What a nice person she is.. They even noticed that I was a little nervous and offered to give me something to calm my nerves. Of course I thought it was a great idea..lol lol They answered all my questions and I was set and ready to go. My Iv was put in and I waited my turn.
    So I drink my nerve calming elixir.. lol and all was great..A little drooling on myself, just kidding, no drooling.. Next thing I know I am out of surgery and recovery and back in my room. I was a little sore in the belly but nothing I couldn't stand. I tried to get up and walk as much as I could by recommendation of the hospital staff. I had alot of gas in my chest area so the walking really helped.
    Our main nurse Sam was very nice and helpful. She came and checked on us numerous times throughout the day and got us whatever we needed. Our other nurses were also helpful. I had a few problems with my Iv but nothing out of the ordinary.We then had 2 different leak tests. We were there for 2 days and then off to the Marriot.
    Abraham picked us up from the hospital and on our way to the hotel stopped and let all of us get ice cream. Oh My was it wonderful!!!! it tasted so good.. especially after not eating from the days before.. lol
    The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very friendly. We got checked in and went to our room. It also was beautiful. Later that day Eduardo came to our room with a goodie bag from Alighterme with our pain killers, antibiotics, lab work, etc. He explained everything in the bag and when to take our medicines. He let us know what to do if we needed to get in touch with him or our surgeon. He let us know that Dr.Ortiz would be by on Saturday evening to remove our drain tube and talk about some after surgery care.
    The next day Abraham came to the hotel to take all of us shopping. What a good time we had and the shops that we went to had beautiful jewelry and numerous other souveneirs.
    The next day we did some venturing out on our own and walked to the Walmart. Its less then 10 minutes away by foot. We had a good time in there just looking at the different things compared to the US. All total we got to go shopping 2 times, and Abraham & Ricardo took us out for dinner on one of our trips. It was alot of fun to visit with the other patients on our outings
    Saturday evening Dr.Ortiz came by and removed our drain tubes and talked to us and answered our questions. All was good and I was so glad to get the drain out. You feel much better when its out.
    So our last day is here and time to fly home. Abraham & Ricardo came to pick us up and bring us to the airport in San Diego. All went as planned.
    So to sum things up about my experience with Mexico and Alighterme.... I Loved it!!! I wouldn't change anything about my trip or surgery at all. The ENTIRE STAFF of this company is TOP NOTCH!!!! I would recommend them to anyone thinking of WLS. Mexico was fine. I had no worries at all while I was there. I would do it again 10 times over... I was just that impressed. So save your self some money and go to the REAL professionals at Alighterme... If anyone has any questions about my experience and journey please feel free to contact me. I am happy to answer any questions at all. I hope this was helpful to anyone having a hard time making a choice.
  2. mstrigs
    mstrigs
    Great synopsis of Mexico. I had mine at Jerusalem with Dr Almanza and I thought it was better than the states. And I come from a family of doctors. And of course 1/4th the price!!!
  3. dbarnes7
    dbarnes7
    That was a very good write up of your experience. Thank you
  4. misty74567
    misty74567
    Thank you for posting your story. I have my surgery with Dr. Lopez July 22nd and I am getting excited about it. Your story has calmed my nerves tremendously!
  5. Cheri
    Cheri
    I agree. I also used A Lighter Me and Janese. Great experience all the way around. I have had alot of surgeries in the States and the care I received in Mexico was by far better than here!
  6. Jenniferkatie
    Jenniferkatie
    Thank you for the wonderful synopsis!! I'm going down on July 8th for mine with Dr. Garcia at Florench Hospital (oasis of hope)...so looking forward to the big day and starting my new life!!
  7. grneyez0375
    grneyez0375
    Thank you for that! I have my surgery on June 26th, hearing your wonderful experience with all the people and Doctor's I have chosen has calmed my nerves tremendously!!
  8. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Your welcome everyone!!!! Good luck to all of you!!! I loved it and as of today I am down 25 lbs!!!!!!
  9. hope4lighterme
    hope4lighterme
    Thank you for a great review about your experience with a lighterme the Drs. in Mexico. I am also with a lighterme and Janese has been so nice and helpful. I will have my surgery on 07/03 with Dr. Ortiz. I am a little nervous but reading about your experience has helped me so much....thank you for all your information! I hope you are doing well!!
  10. francesca
    francesca
    oh my that story was so good i read it twice and called my sister to read it to her too. The way you shared your start to finish experience was so very helpful. It seems kinda like how i started, worried and trying to research and research some more!! Janese is so wonderful, I am set to go aug 4th and i feel so much better now after reading your story. It was just what i needed to hear thank you thank you and thank you again!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Lee6Lee
    Lee6Lee
    I used the same people and had the same wonderful experience. I highly recommend!
  12. llburbach
    llburbach
    I just had my surgery on July 8th. My story would be nothing like yours. I must say after reading your story it is like you had your surgery some other place than I did.
  13. Periwinkle74
    Periwinkle74
    Thank you SO much for posting a very thorough overview of your experience with Dr. Lopez - I am scheduled to have surgery in TJ in a matter of days and I'm struggling with my nerves. You really have helped give me a great deal of calm about this.