Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Why does everyone bash Dr Almanza?

1. dietingdonna
    dietingdonna
    I have done a considerable amount of research on this man. Yes I have found a very few bad reviews or people that just had a horrible experience but for the most part everyone loves him.

Now that I have booked my surgery for next Thursday people are coming out of the woodwork telling me hes awful, unattentive, sloppy, blah blah blah. Why are they trying to scare me or rain on my parade?

I do not expect him to hold my hand as I fall asleep or be sitting beside me waiting for me to wake up. I do not expect him to camp out in my room or feed me ice chips...HE IS A DOCTOR! I dont know of any doctor that would do that. All I expect from him and a good clean quick procedure, and I believe that will happen but I am being hit by every direction and it has me concerned... thoughs or ideas ya'll?
  2. MJTooley
    MJTooley
    I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I've lost 28 pounds so far. There's videos of me 2 hours after surgery hanging out with Dr Almanza in the hall at the hospital. He's a great surgeon and if i had to do it again, i would!
  3. Miek
    Miek
    Your concerns are natural. I was sleeved by Dr Almanza on 3/8 and can't say any negative. My experience was exactly what I expected and had zero issues and would certainly do it again.
  4. sweetness1
    sweetness1
    I have noticed that a couple people on this site had some "not so nice" things to say about him. I had surgery with him on April 9th, and like you I did some research on him which is why I chose to go with him, and I seriously would recommend him. All I can tell is don't worry about those people, this is who you have chosen and later for the naysayers !
  5. EsTeRap
    EsTeRap
    I had my surgery 3/31 and i am doing great. Most likely you will see Dr. Almanza very briefly before your surgery and you will get clean, quick, professional procedure and excellent attentive care by his staff and another doc in the hotel the days following your surgery. They have very well organized operation there and you will have pleanty of attention and care from the nurses if you will need such. Dr. Almanza is a very busy man performing the surgeries, so yes, he will not be feeding you icecream , but i am sure you will get what you are looking for. Do not be afraid. I also read many posts before the surgery and some of them were disturbing, but it appears to me that some people just like to complain... let me know if you have any questions, i would be glad to answer.
  6. CountryGirl72
    CountryGirl72
    I honestly don't know and it's so annoying honestly. Part of y I don't come on here much anymore. However, I had surgery with him Dec. 4, 2013. I had no problems at all. I've lost 63 lbs to date and more inches than I can count but I can tell in my clothing.

You just have to follow your heart is all I can say. I almost changed doctors because of comments about him. But... I let those negative comments slip out of my mind and decided to stay with him and it was the best decision I feel I EVER made. The doctor I was going to switch to I know people personally that have had infections etc... They can happen from any of the doctors and every surgery is a risk as we all know.

Almanza and his staff r just amazing! I wish u luck and hope your experience is as great as mine was. Again, just follow your own instincts to make your decision. I don't think the Almanza "bashers" would like if us Almanza patients started bashing their doctors. lol I just take it as I'm better than that.

I also got to see Dr. Almanza the day after my surgery. Apparently most people don't get to but I did.
  7. secretblonde
    secretblonde
    I was sleeved on March 14th...Loved dr almanza and his staff.. saw him before and after surgery... hotel was beautiful, hospital very clean!!! take earplugs with you for both places

you will be fine!!! and yes.. he wont hold your hand and feed you ice cream... but he might show you his 6 pac!!!! (abs)
  8. dietingdonna
    dietingdonna
    Thanks ya'll. I have always felt confident in my decision but today had private messages from 5 different people and it just struck a nerve so I start thinking OMG what am I doing...Thank you all for always being so helpful and supportive, I honestly dont know what I would do with out all my friends on here!
  9. CountryGirl72
    CountryGirl72
    Wow! That's not so nice.
    I had one person send me a pm saying not to use him etc... I deleted that person off of my friends. I didn't want/need that negative talk before I had surgery.

U will be fine. Good luck! The losers side is amazing!!!
  10. Suzanne3/12
    Suzanne3/12
    I agree with all of the positive comments. I would recommend Dr. Almanza without hesitation. I wish you all the best!
  11. cduw25
    cduw25
    I too was starting to second guess my decision however when I look at the posters I see that their only post are the ones slamming Dr. Almanza. Most the people who are legitimate patients have nothing but good reports or there may have been something that was nerve wrecking to them but not a deal breaker.
  12. decemberroses
    decemberroses
    Were the people who wrote you patients of Dr. A? If not, I wouldn't pay a bit of attention to them. I don't understand how people can gripe about a doctor they have never dealt with. My aunt and I both used him for our surgery. She had a far better experience than I did, though mine was not, by far, the worst thing I've ever been through. I admit, I did have a deal breaker type thing happen that had I known it would go the way it did, I may not have used Dr. A, but it happened to work out in the long run. If anyone were to ask me if I think they they should go to him, I would just tell them that it all depends on what they are looking for, and I would share the pros and cons as I saw them if that's what they wanted to hear.
  13. billieromany
    billieromany
    I had my surgery 3/31 and I have nothing negative to say. Seen doctor briefly but he was very clear about what was about to go down and all went very smoothly for me I can say. The stay and place was very clean and ppl were always nice. If ever I needed something they were there with in minutes. So yes a very good choice.
  14. jbullock08
    jbullock08
    Please keep in mind that this is an open site, meaning competitors may be able to join a forum and stir the pot just a bit. There are also cases in which people were upset because they flew out and Dr. Almanza would not preform the surgery or during the surgery was not able to complete the job because he found a heath issue that he felt put his client at risk and needed attention before he could go any further. I have been twice, the 1st time as company to my friend who had hers over a year ago and is healthy and happy and had 0 complications, however there was a lady in her group that he refused to work on because she previously had the lap band procedure twice in the states so lots of scar tissue as well as a hernia, giant hematoma and a stomach ulcer. Naturally he informed her she had some healing to do before he could preform her sleeve surgery but that didn't stop her from bashing him and the fact that he let her fly there and she got nothing. They did tell her she would receive a refund and could come again when she was healed but she was not trying to hear that. There are somethings that if you with hold information from the Doctor on he would not know until you get in front of him or he finds once he gets inside. Just as well as some people you can just not make happy no matter what. Sure those people are upset they didn't get what they wanted or came for, but who's fault is that, certainly not the Doctor who has your as well as his best interest in mind. If anything that comforted me more because it let me know they aren't just about money. The second time around I was there by myself for myself yet was surround by the best group of supportive women you could ask for and we all have had a great experience and would recommend him to any one weather it be family, friends, or you folks. I hope this helps any one that wants to live out they life they dreamed, it surly has helped me thus far live mine. my energy just a month out is 5 times what it was before I arrived and I am 30lbs down to date and feeling great. Let the haters be your motivators and go for it!
  15. shila
    shila
    I'm not sure how all these people who used other doctors can have such strong opinions of Dr. Almanza. One women said he doesn't speak any English. That is not true. I spoke to him before my surgery and after it, later that night in the hall while I was walking. His English is way better than my Spanish! He also always has someone with him to translate if needed. I've also heard you never get to see him again after surgery for follow up. That is true but, not all that different from the US. In a lot of major hospitals follow up is done by a PA or CNP. I have heard people say he does 15 surgeries a day. On my day he had 7 scheduled. Ours were done early and he added 2 surgeries that were scheduled for the following day. Is everything perfect no. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!!!
  16. kokopelligirl2
    kokopelligirl2
    I was sleeved Jan. 30,14 by Dr. Almanza, I feel I had better care there then in the states. Dr. Had only 6 surgeries that day. I have had no problems and I have lost 53 pounds!
  17. Truffles
    Truffles
    I think some members have difficulty in validating their choice in a Mexican surgeon without pointing out negative (in their minds) aspects of Dr. Almanza. Why? I have NO idea. He is, by far, the most popular Mexican surgeon, and the most popular one to criticize, either directly or by innuendo.

I've been here almost two years and it's always been like that.

Some members I don't even bother reading anymore because they post exactly the same thing about their surgeon. Word for word.

Honestly, I don't think there is a Mexican surgeon that is mentioned on this site that is crappy. I think they are all good. Each one offers a different experience (some give more personal attention, others offer longer stays in a hospital), but ultimately, they all do really good work.

Does Dr. Almanza do more surgeries per day than some other surgeons? Yes. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so at all. It's his job. Does a tax accountant only file a couple or three returns per day? They want to file as many returns as they can without compromising the numbers because the more they file, the more money they make. Well, surgeons are the same. Some are content to operate only a few times per day, others are more driven. It doesn't make one any better than the other, they just have different desires.

Are some surgeons more personable and chatty than others? Of course. Does that make them any better or worse? Of course not.

Dr. Almanza is a terrific surgeon. I have no direct knowledge of his new set-up but when he was with Jerusalem Hospital, if was run extremely efficiently. The Drs. Betencourt knew how to make it run like a well-oiled machine. Sadly, with one of them passing, I think that put a great deal of strain on the organization and efficiency of the place.

However, from the feedback I have been hearing, it seems that the new set-up that Dr. Almanza has has worked through its hiccups, and the staff are running it like a well-oiled machine again (I heard he brought over most of his nursing staff with him from JH when he left).

Will you get 5-star treatment? No. But you will get treated well. Good luck!
  18. kimbo
    kimbo
    I was sleeved by Dr. Almanza on January 6th and have lost 60 pounds. I was reading a lot before I went and then just quit reading the posts about him because my sister-in-law, a good friend of hers and the friend's two sons had all gone to him without any problems. I call it assembly line surgery- he does what he needs to do and leaves the after care to the ones who do that well. I have had no problems and I made sure that I had a doctor here at home who would look after me when I returned and no problems there so far either. He says that the weight loss could be a little quicker during this accelerated stage but at the three month mark, all tests came back good including how my body is absorbing nutrients. So am I happy with the surgery from Dr. A- you bet!
  19. one4sailn
    one4sailn
    As someone already mentioned, surgery centers for bariatric procedures in Mexico are HIGHLY competitive!! (to the point where our driver from the airport made sure we knew EXACTLY what his vehicle looked like, since there are some that would talk you into thinking you were getting into the correct vehicle when it wasn't.) Clinics/hospitals for plastic surgery, dental work, etc are a dime a dozen and on several corners, in Tijuana.

I was sleeved by Dr. Almanza on March 6, and am down 32lbs. I'm not losing as fast as some, but you bet your buns I'm thrilled and encouraged with the consistency of the scale! Based off what you stated for YOUR expectations, you will be very happy. You do get to meet with Dr. A, all of the staff are incredibly kind and helpful and attentive, and you'll be home in no time. Excited for you!
  20. BBLovesBB
    BBLovesBB
    Well just for future reference, if you are worried about the number of surgeries per day Dr. Almanza performs, then follow my lead and schedule your surgery during the slow season, June, July, August.....I'm a retired teacher ,its just a habit that i have grown accustomed to...BTW there is only one other surgery scheduled the same day as mine....
  21. jaymo1994
    jaymo1994
    My husband and I both had surgery with him 1-23-14 and it was the best thing we could of done. He is down 84lbs and I'm down 66lbs.
  22. Wendylady
    Wendylady
    I am having my surgery with dr almanza also and I hate the scare tactics being used by some folks. If our dr or any dr for that matter was as terrible as they say they wouldn't be just posting here. They would be posting all over the internet. So far I've read tons of great things and a tiny portion of negative.
  23. Bobbi
    Bobbi
    I have my surgery with Dr A on Friday and have been getting worried. It's really great to hear everyone's stories and know that I'm not going to a "chop shop" as my mom says. I'd love to hear advice on what to expect pros and cons. Is the hotel nice? How bad is the pain for the plane ride back? What would you do differently.

Thanks for any feedback!!
    Bobbi
  24. Bakinka
    Bakinka
    I am his patient .. And you can easily delete message
    I did 08/march/2014
    I think we need a more attention cause it is a huge surgery this surgery will change all your life
    Think about it
    I m at hospital right now
    Nobody knows why my AlT and AST going up negative for hepatitis A and B we still waiting C ..
    Imagine me .. Single mother with 3 little kids who was 240 pounds
    I was thinking my problem just my weight ...
    I was healthy women
    Now .... I have to check my blood every week
    My liver look like I am 75 years old drinking Person
    I didn't try even alcohol or Tabac

We did discuss with almanza about his nurse . They must to check my blood pressure and give me a Iv
    They didn't ...
    What I should to tell you ??
    His a wonderful person ( how I know) ?
    His a perfect dr ( my blood result not good )
    Yes he s smile , cause You And Me potentially patient who will bring more patients for him

And he hired this new doctor for hotel patient
    And I saw his nurse walking around in gloves and dirty uniform before surgery
    You hear what you want to hear
    P.S I'm sorry for my English
  25. dietingdonna
    dietingdonna
    I am home now and all I will saw is I survived. The Dr himself is good I guess I saw him for 2 minutes....the rest of his staff leave alot to be desired! I would do the surgery again in a minute but not there
  26. kendraavant_ortiz
    kendraavant_ortiz
    Well, I think no one is perfect. All in all I think the majority of his cases are done well and the patients go one to live happy uncomplicated lives. I had surgery with him on 3/14/2014. I was on several cases given insulin and I wondered why... I told the nurses I dont take insulin and they said oh.. you don't and then stopped giving it to me. The surgeon himself did a fantastic job. Some of the staff were really good, others did leave much to be desired. I had no complications and am doing well. To this date I have lost 27 pounds since surgery. I would do it again and I would choose him again. BTW he made us stay in the hospital for several days and we were sent to the hotel like a day before we left for home. It was a great experience.
  27. Mktmathis
    Mktmathis
    I had my surgery on 3/21/14! Dr almanza is a great surgeon. He knows what he's doing. He does it all day long 6 days a week. I have nothing but praise for the man. His support staff at the hospital was great! The only thing I'm not happy about is my scars. He doesn't use dissolvable sutures.
  28. jamie5711
    jamie5711
    I had the gastric sleeve on 06/11/2013 and as of today I have lost 85 lbs, it has been a slow loss but I am very happy with the results! I had no problems in Mexico, the Doctor and the staff were very pleasent and professional. I took my mother in law for support, plus my husband wouldn't let me go alone since he couldn't come with me. I would do it again if I had to and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about going, to research and research him or any other doctor until your 100% comfortable going to Mexicao, I did and I was not disappointed. I went in knowing if the hosptial looked unprofessional or unsanitized than I would leave and not look back. That was not the case and I am super happy that I made that choice and it changed my life forever!! Good luck to you all that are looking into having this surgery, it will be the best thing that has happen to you regarding your health..
  29. llburbach
    llburbach
    I had Dr Almanza for my sleeve on 7/8. He is great and I work with 10+ people who all went with him and none of us have regrets. I love Dr Almanza and he takes a brief minute to take a picture with you and answer questions. I would recommend him to any of my friends and family.

Laura
  30. babs8
    babs8
    I had surgery with Dr A August 13th and everything was great. He is a busy surgeon and we saw him prior to surgery. His staff was attentive and I felt I was well taken care of. The hotel was great, my husband enjoyed the restaurant. The only complaint is about the US border guards that told me I should have a passport and that 'we won't help you if you get in trouble with a birth certificate and photo drivers license'. I didn't have time to get a passport. The border guard scared me and that wasn't necessary. Dr. A was great.
  31. missnikjones
    missnikjones
    I must say some of the post are a little scary but Oh well here in the states the dr comes in for maybe 1~2 minutes and he's gone.....The same thing happen in Mexico can happen in the states what happened to one doesn't mean it happen to another....im sticking with Dr.A.... lol my surgery 3~18
  32. martinez88
    martinez88
    I have a question!!! This isnt about bashing on Dr. A, this is rather about the agencys we go through.... When scheduling with Dr. Almanza im going through weigh tloss agency. com and they charge you 250.00? did they ask for a copy of the card and your id?? that feels so fishy to me why do they want copies? my main concern is fraud! The surgery will be done @ HMN Hospital any reiews on them?? please help!!! scheduled for March 2nd but I haven't paid deposit... Nobody has been able to confirm with me whether this is a scam or really is true... have heard good things and bad About Dr. A but im following my faith! would really appreciate feed back!!
  33. melmatthews6
    melmatthews6
    I just went through weight loss agents and it was all fine. I also thought it was odd that they ask for copies but so far no strange charges !! Good luck on your decision, I had my sleeve done on 1/13/15!
  34. Jmichelle
    Jmichelle
    My date is scheduled for 3/11 with Dr. Almanza, and I'm totally at peace with the decision.

I work for a large health system in my city. I can say with confidence that there isn't a hospital or physician in the United States that will not have had some horror stories from former patients and family members relayed to potential patients. I have had a pcp that I wouldn't go to again if my life depended on it! The hospitals in this country (US), have had to settle law suits, and have many complaints about lack of attention from nurses, slow response to call lights, so on and so forth. There is a shortage of nurses this very moment. The data on patient satisfaction in the US, is but a short google search away.

Healing and recovery is a very individual process period.

By no means am I telling anyone to ignore what you read, but take complaints with a grain of salt and realize that what you and I have read can be applied to any medical center in the US. The same can be said for praises.

For the record, I don't work for the agency, or the hospital.

I will be sure to post my own experience after I have had the surgery.