Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Does age really matter that much?

1. Mick
    Mick
    I will be 65 on 11/15. They told us in the Kaiser Options classes that gender and age are important risk factors. G/S is supposed to be harder on men and the older you are the higher the risk. I have already had a triple bypass, (heart) about 8yrs ago, so that may raise the risk even higher. Not sure. I have to have another ekg to get the final OK for the surgery.

Are there any 60+ sleevers that can tell me how they have weathered the process from surgery to wherever you are in your weight loss journey today?

Is returning to work after a week really realistic for us older folks?
  2. julrs13
    julrs13
    It has all but eliminated my need for blood pressure meds and I am off my diabetic meds too. Also off my cholesterol meds, but they will need to be checked in a couple months again. (I am almost 4 weeks post op). It is a positive life change for me and I think the risk of living with obesity is worse that the risk of surgery. The surgery is quick and simple and forces you to be good. I have not been hungry once since surgery. It is very easy to follow the plan. Good luck with everything. I know it is scary, but I would not go back for one second. The doctors wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe.
  3. mxc2sls
    mxc2sls
    I turned 64 on 10/27 and my surgery is scheduled for 12/10. I feel that I am at greater risk from the comorbidity conditions than from the surgery. I would love to read more reply's from those over 60 that have had the surgery. I wish you all health and great success.
  4. Blackbry63
    Blackbry63
    I'm 50, this surgery was the best thing that eve happened to me. I feel like I did in my twenties. Now of course I have pretty much taken up residence in the local gym and I'm getting in more and more protein. I'm pain free, decided to do the surgery because the excess weight just added to the pressure on my joints. I have arthritis in both knees and my lower back. I've lost 70 lbs as of today, and I can't remember when my back or my knees hurt last. I now catch myself running up and down the steps, pre surgery, I could barely walk on the steps. I don't think age is a factor, but the results sure make you feel like you have found the fountain of youth.
  5. socialw55
    socialw55
    I am 55 and hoping to get the sleeve surgery done soon in March with Almanza. Anyone have advice for us older folks having this kind of surgery? Starting weight is at 225 and goal is 155.
  6. Ann2
    Ann2
    Here's my take on VSG surgery for older folks -- we have a HUGE advantage over the younguns, since we're tougher.

I was sleeved in August 2014 when I was 68. I'm 69 now. I'm 5 months post-op and doing GREAT. Have lost 68 pounds, have only 17 pounds more to go before I reach goal. I've lost about 10 pounds a month (lost 19 pounds preop).

I feel great, look 20 years younger, and have more energy than I've had in a long time (walked 10,000 steps yesterday, per my Fitbit).

Do it!
  7. Cari2015
    Cari2015
    I will be having my surgery on Feb.3. I've had so many ups and downs about going through with surgery. Sometimes I can't sleep thinking about it. At this point it's like let me get it done already so maybe I can have puréed food. Sad huh? I'm hungarier the longer I wait. I agree with all the above people, let's get lighter on our feet and feel healthier and happier. By the way...I am 66.
  8. Luann
    Luann
    I am very happy with getting my old size and shape back. I can see that the weight loss has aged my face, for a while I looked younger / better while I dropped weight. Once I got past losing the double chin & the jowly look from too much weight, it has aged me a bit. Nothing that extra sleep, water the day before & 15 minutes worth of make up can't fix though. It's well worth it from a self esteem & health point of view. Plus there's no disguising 50 pounds of fat. Believe me, I tried!