Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What is/was your impression of A Lighter Me?

1. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    I will be having surgery in Nov with Dr Elias Ortiz. My coordinates is Janese. So far they have been really good and available for questions. I am anxious to get the surgery over with and start my new life.
  2. Dair67
    Dair67
    I am also having my surgery in November, with Dr. Ortiz and have Janese as a coordinator.
  3. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    Are you having a million different emotions about this? I go from being very excited to freaked out a dozen times a day. Hoping he is the right Dr etc....
  4. Dair67
    Dair67
    Absolutely! My sister had surgery with Dr. Ortiz at the beginning of May. I was with her but too afraid to do it myself. I really liked Dr. O and my sister is doing great. Down nearly 60 pounds. I am incredibly scared but can not stand how I feel any longer, both physically and emotionally. What day is your surgery, mine is 11th.
  5. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    I went there May 22nd, I had a great time and love my sleeve!! My journey is on my blog on here, go check it out. Janese was also my coordinator, she is a doll!!! I am down 56 pounds!!!
  6. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    Congrats on the 56lbs. I bet you feel a lot better. I like hearing good things about Ortiz.

researched a lot of local dr sheer in the states. None of them had the experience of the Drs in Mexico. Some of them even tried to steer me to the lap band. I then started talking to Drs in Mexico. For some reason I trusted A Lighter Me and Dr Ortiz. I have sent him emails and he gets back to me very quickly and is reassuring to talk to. I know this isn't a cake walk(bad pun!) but I'm ready....scared....but ready.
  7. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    My surgery is Nov 13th! Looks like we will be there at the same time! Feel free to message me if you need support, to bitch, to brag, whatever. We are on the same track.
  8. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    New update from me...
    A little over 4 months out and down 58 pounds!!!! I am so happy!!!!
    I started at 218 and now 160!!!! I am pretty close to goal and wearing sizes 8 & 10. I would like to be in a 6. I'm hoping that losing another 15 pounds will get me there!!
    I'm so excited for all you guys/girls who have had and getting ready to have the sleeve!!!! And you couldn't have picked a better team to go with!!!
    You are going to love this!!! And barnett you are so right, when I did my research also it seemed like the doctors in Mexico had more experience. The whole team at A Lighter Me are amazing!! Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any about what it was like or how it is!!! Good luck to everyone!!!!!
  9. Magwe
    Magwe
    Its so reassuring to hear from people who've used alighterme and Dr,Ortiz. My surgery is Nov 11th. I'm more anxious about not getting my passport on time if there is a government shutdown. Dair 67...I'll see you in the recovery room!
  10. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    It was a breeze!! The entire team is great!!
  11. Dair67
    Dair67
    Thanks Skinny! For those of us still waiting for "D-day" its always good to hear the successes of others. I finally told my sons today about my decision. They are hesitant, but support me still the same. Magwe, I hope everything goes well with the passport. Let me know! I am confident too with the team at A Lighter Me.
  12. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Hello 150's!!!!!! 159.6
  13. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    Looks like three of us will be there at the same time. We need to keep in touch.
  14. bbarnett51
    bbarnett51
    Congrats on the 150s.

If I get into the 1's I will seriously either break down in tears or throw a party. I haven't been there since 9th grade. I played football and was 222 with 8% body fat my senior year. Now........not so much!!!
  15. VALVAL
    VALVAL
    I had my surgery 9/9/13 Janese, Doctor Ortiz and the guys are amazing. I am so pleased that I chose A Lighter Me!! I have to brag on them to everyone that asks me about my surgery...lol. I especially like to brag to the ones that teased me about going to Tijuana for surgery.
  16. Dair67
    Dair67
    Congrats on the 150's too Skinny! I feel the same way bbarnett! If I see the 1-- anythings again I will be amazed!

Good to hear more supporters for A Lighter Me ValVal!
  17. kimwanalivelife
    kimwanalivelife
    I will be using Dr. E. Ortiz soon just getting stuff in order. Sent in H.Q. and next I need to change passport name. Hope that doesn't take to long. Want to sent my surgery date but worrried about passport in time. Try'n to get ahold of janese to ask some questions but no answer.she did email me that she got the HQ. Hope to find someone who will be in tj around the same time. When I find out. We all need to support each other no one elce can understand what we are feeling.
  18. Tonya L.
    Tonya L.
    Hello to all, I will be sleeved on October 28,2013 By Dr. Ortiz . Will there be someone else there around the same time.
  19. paradoxgal
    paradoxgal
    I will be sleeved Oct 24th. 11 days! Ronda is my coordinator.
    I'm not super nervous about surgery itself, but very interested in how this will work afterward. I'm worried about pain and what I might feel like not being able to eat and stuff.
  20. Paula72
    Paula72
    Tonya L., I'm arriving and having surgery on Oct 27th
  21. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    5 month anniversary was yesterday!!! I can't believe the transformation in such a short time!!! I'm so excited for all you guys who are getting ready to start this journey!!!! I can't wait to hear your success stories!!!
    Having this surgery has given me the courage to come out of my shell that I have been hiding under for the last 12 years!!
    I have lost 61 pounds and I am so happy!!!
    Good luck everyone!!
  22. Dair67
    Dair67
    WAY TO GO SKINNY!!! I'm just under 3 weeks to my surgery! This is my last week to eat "normal", although I have already cut way back. I just want my recovery to go as smooth as possible!
  23. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Well as of last night I am officially "Normal"
    Well at least in the weight department anyways... Lol
    154.4 & 5ft6"= 24.9 on the BMI calculator!!!!
    Yay!!!!! I'm Normal!!!!! Haven't seen that in years!!!!!
  24. Dair67
    Dair67
    That is awesome skinny! Congrats on....at this point I still can't see "Normal" for myself, but who knows?
  25. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    You will get there!!!!
  26. Paula72
    Paula72
    WARNING: VERY LONG POST! But worth the read I think. (Posted on Hospital Mi Doctor thread as well)

Well I'm 6 hours into my first day back to work, 2.5 hours to go and feeling great. We even had a fire drill (5 flights of stairs) and still no issues. I had my surgery on Sunday Oct 27th at Hospital Mi Doctor with Dr. Elias Ortiz and Dr. Oscar Morales via "A Lighter Me". They were amazing Doctors that made me feel very relaxed before surgery and even the anestitician (sorry, can't remember his name) got in on the jokes, telling me they had fried chicken flavoured water for after surgery. Of course I told him I prefered pizza flavour but they were all out...LOL. It was those little things that made everything more relaxed and were sort of comforting. They treated me like a friend, someone they cared about, not just another patient on the table. After surgery Dr. Morales even brought me coffee flavoured candy because I threatened to sneak downstairs and buy a coffee. I wouldn't have, of course, but it’s just another example of joking around. Dr. Morales came to the hotel to check on me and remove my drain. He chats with you like an old friend. Dr. Ortiz came to check my incisions my last night there. He's friendly as well but more like the doctors you might be used to seeing at home. Less chatting, more instruction. Dr. Morales provided great information and medical advise too but I think he is just more social in general.

There were 3 really good nurses...Carmen, Edgar, and another lady but I can't remember her name. She wears glasses and a white hair wrap all the time and she likes to sing. If you get either of these 3 nurses, which I'm sure you will at some point during your stay, you'll be in very good hands. Edgar speaks the best english of the three. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful. Janese stopped by the hospital one evening so I got to meet her but I didn't get to meet Ronda. They are the coordinators for "A Lighter Me" and they are some of the best support you'll need pre-surgery. I'm sure I'll be communicating with them a lot after surgery too. They are always so prompt and knowledgeable via e-mail or phone. I'm sure I could call Janese at 3:00 am and she'd answer, bright and cheery as always...LOL

And Abraham...I can't say enough good about Abraham. He made the trip an experience. He was our drive for our time there. Abraham picked me up at the airport (I traveled alone) and brought me straight to the hospital for surgery. There were 4 others in the van (and 2 companions) but they went to the hotel and came back Monday for surgery. I felt just as comfortable with him as I would with my own family but let me tell you, the driving in Mexico is crazy! No one signals, everyone crosses lanes without warning and apparently stop signs and red lights are only suggestions. No worries though, Abraham is a great driver. Trusted him every step of the way.

On the day Robyn and I (another girl that had surgery the same day as me) were released from the hospital, Abraham took us shopping and bought us hand churned fruit ice cream. It was delicious and such a nice treat after so long with nothing interesting to eat. Of course, I could only eat a couple of spoonfuls but they were amazing spoonfuls. Abraham also took us to a street with all the souvenir shops where I met Carlos, my new best friend for life...LOL...and to a pharmacy where we could get any medications, vitamins, extra bandages, etc. that we might need. He did the same for everyone that had surgery but some trips may have missed the ice cream because shopping can take a while.

The hotel was beautiful, much nicer than I expected. My bed was big enough for a family of 6 I'm sure and super comfy with lots of pillows. I didn't bother with room service but they would bring your soup to your room if you preferred not to eat in the dining room with all the other food smells. I mostly did broth in a to-go cup and walked around outside or visited with other patience. My last night there (Wednesday) a few of us went to the restaurant and I tried the tortilla soup. It was really good but I could, again, only eat a few spoonfuls and I was full. Everyone there was very nice and smiling all the time. Ever so helpful with everything, including simply mailing a post card for me.

I can't imagine anything that would have made the trip any better. Well....not getting to enjoy any Mexican food is a disappointment but it’s just motivation to go back next year, visit with everyone again and show off my results! I'll have to go visit Carlos with Abraham again too...LOL. All in all, it was the best decision I have ever made. No pain, no sickness, no struggles, no complaints at all. I would definitely recommend this entire team and Hospital Mi Doctor to anyone considering surgery in Mexico, especially since it’s an actual hospital, not just a clinic in a strip mall. Its small but it has everything you need (all be it maybe a little older then we’re used to) and some really wonderful people to make the experience a more pleasant one.
  27. merefis
    merefis
    I loved working with A Lighter Me! The company and all of the support personel associated with the company made this a very enjoyable experience. I would recommend A Lighter Me and Dr. Elias Ortiz to anyone considering weight loss surgery. I have a hard time believing I even had surgery; I am only 8 days post-op and feel so great... like I have begun a new life! The entire experience was great... from Janese answering initial questions, to making plans, setting the date, the hospital staff, surgery, the doctors and nurses, post-op care, the Marriot Hotel, the drivers (Abraham and Eduardo), and Rhonda coordinating post-op, following up closely and answering more questions ... every detail is covered for making the best surgical experience!
  28. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    So happy for all of you!!! I can't wait to hear about everyone's journey!!!!
  29. Monique
    Monique
    Great to read your experiences. I'm scheduled for surgery on Jan. 13. I have all the paperwork, is there anything in tha was missed in the instructions that you'd recommend? I'm going alone as well.
  30. DebbiesDream
    DebbiesDream
    I am scheduled for Dec. 12th - Did everyone feel comfortable if they travel alone?
  31. BelindaK
    BelindaK
    Hey all, I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz in early September. Yes, I had reservations! I was initially scheduled to go with Dr. Lopez and after reading other people's experiences, I opted to go with Dr. Ortiz. Yes, Dr. Lopez has been doing this longer, but he's not there for follow-up, and Dr. Ortiz was taking care of his patients post-op, so I figured I'd want the same surgeon all the way through. Once I got there I got scared...I was sure I wouldn't wake up! (obviously, I did) Dr. Ortiz was awesome, very professional yet friendly. He did a great job in every aspect.

I traveled alone and it was fine, I'd have felt a little uncomfortable if I'd brought my daughter or another family member. The ALM staff takes really good care of you. They transport you, monitor your care and act as your advocate with the hospital. Dr. Ortiz is wonderful. I'm on some other groups and I'm shocked at some of the post-surgical discomfort patients often have. It ranges from sore throat to gas/acid, to infections. I had none of that, and I confess, I didn't do much walking after the surgery.

Regarding A Lighter Me, I checked to see that they were approved by the Better Business Bureau (yes) and that they take multiple forms of payment. Some people with other companies had trouble getting their deposits back if they changed their minds. If I'd been on those groups before the surgery, I wouldn't have done it.

But I'm so glad I did! I'm losing slow, but its going in the right direction. It seems like just last week I was 216, but now I'm 203! I wish I'd done this ages ago.
  32. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Throwing this out here because I still have a perma grin from the other day!!!!
    So I had noticed my jeans were getting a little looser than they had been, although the scale hadn't moved but a pound or 2. So while I was out the other day shopping I decided what the heck let me try on the next size down. So I get in the dressing room and I'm looking in the mirror thinking is this even possible? I think sometimes my head has not caught up with my weight loss. Anyways, with a tear in my eye I easily slid on a pair of junior size 7 jeans!!!!!!
    I still can't believe it!!! I am so happy to have my life back!!! I am weighing in at 150 now and only a little over 6 months out!!!! I started at 218 in a very very tight 16!!! I am only 5 pounds from my goal weight!! I hope nobody minds me sharing my personal victory!!! Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to hear your stories and see pictures!!!!
    I'm so thankful for the support that I have had on here since my journey started. Big hugs to all of you!!!!
  33. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    Update from 2 days ago.... I am down 2 more!!! Total loss now is 70 pounds!!!
    148???!!! I can't believe it!!!!
    Loving my sleeve!!!!
  34. knip_toh
    knip_toh
    I just submitted my ppw to Janese last night - hoping for Jan 10th!! So happy to hear all of the great stories with Dr. Ortiz - I've only found one not so great story on the three forums I have been 'stalking' and it just seemed like it was poor communication or research during post op. This person travelled alone and just from what I read - it was just one of those - bad timing/circumstance issues but she had NO complaints regarding the Doctor, procedure, staff, or hospital. Either way - I love this forum - it's such a great support group 24/7!
  35. skinny2be
    skinny2be
    I have decided my last pound before goal weight is on strike!!! Darn you!!!
    One darn pound to go and oh boy its a stubborn one!!!!
  36. Monique
    Monique
    Skinny:

You are the inspiration for the rest of us, please continue to post after you have reached goal. We need you!

Monique
  37. TeacherJenn
    TeacherJenn
    Love hearing your personal victories! Love hearing all the details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I can't wait to get started. I have being the fat girl. LOL
  38. RonaB
    RonaB
    Anyone here? This forum has not been visited in awhile and I know there are more of you out there that have used A Lighter Me. Help those of us out here that are getting ready to take that journey down to TJ. I myself have to go it alone because of the timeframe In which I want to take go. I have read a lot of posts but most of them are over a year ago and I would love to hear from you that have gone recently. Maybe put my mind at ease and not to stress so much. I know I have 2 months to go. I plan to start taking vitamins now and get some biotin. I have read the posts, so gas X strips, loose fitting clothing, my own pillow, chapstick. Got that. Help a future sleever.....
  39. sjtilly
    sjtilly
    My sleeve is scheduled November 3rd with Dr. Ortiz. I advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
  40. Bill 59101
    Bill 59101
    I had surgery on June 24th and the only way to describe my experience with A Lighter Me would simply be Awesome. I was treated very well and am very happy with the entire experience.
  41. RonaB
    RonaB
    bill+59101, did you have a companion go with you? I am taking my friend who said I didn't need to go thru this alone. Was there anything you wished you had taken with but didn't? I am more worried about my companion not having anything to except watch me. In a hospital bed.
  42. Laurel joyful
    Laurel joyful
    I will be having my sleeve done on December 22nd with Dr. Ortiz and I will also be going alone. I am hoping that this group picks up and we see some participation that is more current. It is so helpful to read peoples stories and success.
  43. newlookonlife
    newlookonlife
    They have a great facebook group if you want to hear from more people. It's a close group...you have to ask your coordinator for access.
  44. Mezza1960
    Mezza1960
    hi everyone....I am from Australia I don't know what a lighter me means as we don't have that here...can anyone tell me?

Mary
  45. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    Check out my blog for my experience but I couldn't recommend a lighter me or Dr Ortiz any higher than I do! They are fantastic and I just have nothing bad, not even a tiny bit to say about everyone there! I'm still in touch with Janese a year later!
  46. socialw55
    socialw55
    hi
    I am new to all this. I am having trouble deciding. I was approved for sleeve surgery on March 3, 2015 with Dr. Ortiz. I also have been approved for lap band here in the US close to home but not sleeve surgery due to insurance requirements. I need to lose about 50 pounds at least. I have gotten nothing but negative feedback from friends and family about doing both of them, but especially going to Mexico. I am trying to decide which way to go. Anyone have any suggestions about this decision. Seems there are pros and cons to both procedure.
  47. Tammyp
    Tammyp
    What is your opinion of Hospital Mi Doctor?