Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Staying Hydrated

1. maryhad2lambs
    maryhad2lambs
    Does anyone have trouble taking in enough liquids while working after surgery? I have a hard time drinking enough water even now, with running between units, meeting, and such. I won't have my surgery until May so I have time to 'train' myself. I have read of some people getting dehydrated and having to be readmitted. I sooooo don't want to have that happen.
  2. Coleen
    Coleen
    I constantly keep fluids with me. I didn't have any trouble with this before my surgery. I return to work tomorrow and will see how it goes.
  3. knookamom
    knookamom
    I teach nursing for my university, so I am on campus and in the hospitals, I just tell my students once an hour I will duck into the break room, sip a little and then run back out. You have to make you a priority while working or you will get dehydrated. I have been an RN for 20 years and too many of us do not take the time for us.
  4. wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50
    As soon as I hit the floor, even before I get my assignment, I grab a large pitcher full of iced tea (homemade) or water
  5. healthyandstrong
    healthyandstrong
    staying hydrated is a problem for me at work or home
  6. Lady Nat
    Lady Nat
    I am also having a problem staying hydrated at work. The first 6 hours of my shift I am running in and out of my patients room. By the time a sit down I need to eat something. I take my fluids to work. Sometimes I don't want to eat or drink.
  7. Breezy
    Breezy
    I am a Surgical Tech in the OR. I am having a really hard time drinking water during the day. I get my 15 min break which I have a little snack and a few sips of water. My lunch I have a few sips but I am not suppose to eat and drink so I am not getting in enough water at all. I started waking up 30 min earlier to try and get in water before I leave for work which now I am waking up at 4:30 to give my self enough time to drink and then eat my small breakfast and get ready. My shift starts at 6 am. I don't even finish 1 water bottle within a 8-12 hr period. Once I get home is when I try to drink until dinner and before bed, but I am maybe on a good day getting in 30oz. If anyone has advice let me know it would be so helpful!
  8. Seja
    Seja
    Know what you mean. Have good intentions but then patient needs get me off track as I run around to meet their needs. As usual, nurses own needs get left behind. Am going to make concerted effort to get more fluids in while still doing my job.
  9. clynn
    clynn
    I haven't had my surgery yet and am just beginning this process but one of the questions I have is whether any of my fellow nurses get muscle cramps after working all day and muscles are over worked. I try to stay hydrated and don't have issues until I come home and sit down. My remedy for the severe cramps is drinking a quart of tonic water. Will I still have cramps after weight loss? How can I drink a quart of tonic water after surgery? I am hoping the overuse is because the muscles are extra tired from all the additional weight and once the weight is off, the cramps will disappear.
  10. JAG322
    JAG322
    Clynn,
    Check your electrolytes maybe your mag or k is low and no carbonated bevs for a while so tonic water will have to be flattened...good luck