Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Smoking

1. Ellis
    Ellis
    Hi
    I know about why you should not smoke especially prior to surgery - I understand that and I am a paramedic. - just wanted some honest info from those that may have smoked before -- after?
  2. Metread
    Metread
    I smoked for years, and quit 6 years ago. While prepping for the sleeve, during the holidays and over-indulging, I slowly started back. My surgery was 2/7, and I quit about a week and a half before. I know.... Shame on me. I started back slowly about 10-12 days post op. I need to quit, but I feel it is my only vice right now. Transference addiction.
  3. Ellis
    Ellis
    Yes, I haven't actually smoked in weeks. But I can see wanting to in the future. Even before the surgery..fantasizing about smoking! Transferance for sure.
  4. Joy48
    Joy48
    Look, here is my real truth I am 48 I have smoked since I was about 14 , I quit 2 weeks before surgery , I was sleeved on 7/28 , My desire is not as high but I still have my e-cigs that actually helped ,I haven't touched it but I know it's there. On the same day while waiting to get picked up at the airport , I had my surgery in Mexico (insurance did not want to pay a dime), another lady was being transported as well to the hospital and there was a lady already on board. She was smoking like a sieve and oh it smelled sooo good , once we were on our way the other lady said how she just had to have taco bell last night and went on to describe all the melty cheese and the works . We all had surgery the same day , the following day I'm up walking basically be-bopping down the hallway they both looked horrific ,drained and they were both constantly nauseous and all around had complications because they did not want to follow the basics , this is not easy and everyday I keep telling myself I'm getting closer , I wanna eat something broth,water and sugar free jello and popsicles for the first week
    I can start my protein drinks and cream soups wednesday. Good luck to everyone on the Journey
  5. Dutch
    Dutch
    I quit for the surgery coming up the 24th. I have wanted to quit for a long time but this made it Mandatory. I went on WELLBUTIN and it has really helped. I will not lie, I crave a smoke ALOT but some deep breaths will help. I just want to change my WHOLE life not just my weight. I am 49, time to get my shit together, still have fun but get healthy too!
  6. Lovinit
    Lovinit
    I so wish I could've been like you guys.. I couldn't quit smoking for the life of me.. I quit for two days, then two days before me sleeve I started back.. I never stopped even smoked the day after my sleeve.. Ugggh.. I'm 9 days post op.. I feel great and lost 18 lbs already, but I feel like I'm smoking even more now!!!
  7. Dimplezzz2002
    Dimplezzz2002
    Please, please, please stop smoking. One of the worst things in life is regrets. Smoking kills people and you don't want to have any health issues due to something you can avoid.

My best friend lost her mother to small cell lung cancer. She was a smoker and when diagnosed she was given only three months to live. And now my best, who like her mom is a smoker, just had a CAT scan and they found a 2 centimeter mass on one of her lungs.

Cigarettes are addictive. If you can't quit on your own, please seek help.
  8. Allfire
    Allfire
    I know how all of you feel. Smoking has been my best friend off and on in my life. I quit for 15 years, and then went back. Soooo dumb.
    When I decided to have the sleeve done, I decided that I had to sorta take some of my control of my life back. I set the date for January 19, and the next day, I got rid of all my e cigs, regular cigs and put on a patch. I have told myself that if I can't quit smoking then I won't do the surgery. It might sound dumb, but I had to commit or I knew I would not quit. It's day 8 and that's not long, but I'm feeling ok. I miss my friendly constant, but I want to rock climb again, and hike, and run. I have missed those things so much. I have been so unhappy fat. Even if I lost all the weight if I smoke, I still won't have the breath to climb. Just my thoughts but I get both sides....good luck everyone..