Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New To The Group Hypo-Thyroid with Complete Thyroidectomy Post-Op VSG

1. JeanethReinoso
    JeanethReinoso
    Hi all, I am a 27 year old mother of 3 who had her Sleeve surgery on October 21st 2013! I also have Hypothyroidism and have had it since early 2011 when I was diagnosed. I also had a large goiter in the left lobe had it removed in march of 2013. When biopsy reports came back from samples they took from the removed goiter and pieces of my right lobe they found I had follicular cancer! I had my completion on September 18th and remain on 125mcg of synthroid since then!

I was worried that this would be a much more challenging weight loss with this tool because of the problems I had loosing weight before the vsg, but I am 2 weeks and 4 days out and as of Wednesday I have lost a total of 22lbs. Not bad I think for having no metabolism, hypothyroid and haven't had much working out because of my back pains that are decreasing slowly.

Anyone going through the same thing and had their surgery on or close to my surgery date I would love to have someone to go along this journey with! If not, I would love to know how you all started your journeys and what if any side affects did taking synthroid, or being hypothyroid have on your weight loss journey!
  2. AnnieLytical
    AnnieLytical
    Hi! I am new to this forum and just joined this group. I have hashitmotto's hypothyroid. I have had this since I was 18 (12 years). I have been wondering if weight loss would be dramactically less for people with hypothyroid.I am glad to hear your weight loss is going well! I don't have a surgery date yet, but am hoping for sometime in January.

Do you have any kind of follow up for the follicular cancer? Or was it all removed? Did you surgeon and/or nutritionist mention how your hypothyroid will affect your weight loss?

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  3. JeanethReinoso
    JeanethReinoso
    I return to see my surgeon Mid November and also with my endo, as far as they are concerned it was all removed so now we just keep track of my TG (Thyroglobulin I believe it is) level with monthly blood tests! They didn't tell me much besides if I kept up with my hormone medication that all should be well! But I did say that I had researched and saw that people did tend to loose slower which always makes me think that maybe if I didn't have hypo-Thyroidism that I would be loosing much faster then I am! But at this rate im not too concerned! Just keep up with your meds and vitamins and I think all will be well Welcome to the group and I hope you get a surgery date soon! It has been rough for me maybe since I had surgeries so close together and never really fully recovered from the previous surgery but to me it has been worth it already! Praying for the best for the future!
  4. AnnieLytical
    AnnieLytical
    Your really have been through so much in a tight time span. You have such a positive attitude and should be very proud!
  5. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    i had a partial thyroidrectomy in 2006 and have had problems losing weight myself. They receiently found 2 nodules on my right thyroid. Luckly not cancerous but ill find out on tues if she just wants to watch them or what. Im on synthroid already and i already know they will have to adjust my meds post surgery. I hope i dont have too much trouble even though i only have my right thyroid. I have my psych eval on mon, pulmonary function test on wed luckly on that my pulmonogist called and said i was due to one anyway. I Have my final appt with my surgeon on 12-5 so im hopeful for a date by the end of the yr due to insurance purposes. Im having my surgery done in WV where im from. Good luck to everyone
  6. annejem
    annejem
    Hi thanks for posting. You do have a lot going on just having three kids and two major life changing surgeries. I too have had papillary thyroid cancer (Mar 2011) and Hashimoto's. I am glad to hear your weight loss is going well. How are you doing now? How have your cancer check-ups been going? Have you continued success losing weight? I hope all is good.
  7. ckpetrmoon
    ckpetrmoon
    Hi I have four kids had my thyroid removed in 2011. Been struggling with weight loss since then. I have recently started Armour Thyroid which my energies better and other side effects are better but losing weight is still a challenge. My anticipated surgery date is December 26, 2014 I'm waiting to hear if my insurance will cover it after I have my sleep study test as my BMI is 38.6 and not quite 40. I'm hoping that meet the criteria as it's been a long struggle, please keep us updated with your challenges and successes I would love to follow you and support each other