Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hair Style During Surgery

1. mwaller81
    mwaller81
    From what I have been reading, I could possibly loose some hair after the surgery if I don't get enough protein in. Therefore to stay ahead of the game, I'm wondering what would be the best hairstyle to have for surgery. I thought about twists instead of freestyle braids because I don't believe they are too tight on the roots. Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you
  2. lolasleeveana
    lolasleeveana
    I have twists now and I was going to continue that style for a while but the hair loss, from what ive read won't happen right away...it takes a few months after the surgery and then it is minimal from other "post" sleevers....they saw that you notice but everyone else won't
  3. Sharivsg
    Sharivsg
    I am a dread, but I have heard that if you add biotin to your routine now, it can help with the hair loss. I have been taking 1 every day for mos. It doesn't matter which hairstyle you choose, there will be some loss. But as a hairstylist I would pick twists.
  4. Isweet64
    Isweet64
    I had a sew in and just had to cut my Hair off because it was falling out. I didn't stay on top of my protein intake nor was I taking biotin.. I learned the hard way even though I was Still losing lbs I was losing my Hair as well..I say all of that as encouragement to not cheat yourself, good luck!!
  5. Mocha318
    Mocha318
    I was wondering what I would do with my hair to come surgery time. I decided to grow it out from being real short and have been taking 10,000mcg of biotin a day and hair nail skin vitamins. So after surgery I'll continue with my routine. Since I liked my hair short (husband on the other prefers it long) if I need to cut it due to hair lost it be ok. My sis had alot of thinning after surgery but once she increased her protein and kept up with vitamins she's good. Good luck!
  6. dq1
    dq1
    While I was in the hospital (February 26), I just wore a silk bonnet. Upon my return, I did not have a particular hairstyle. My hair is falling out a few strands at a time but it is thick so it is not bothering me much.
  7. mwaller81
    mwaller81
    Thanks for the responses! May 15th can't come soon enough.
  8. Shameka
    Shameka
    I seriously considered shaving my head again just to have one less thing to worry about. I shaved my head about 4 years ago and today you'd never even know. Hair is literally just a protein waste product of your body. The rate at which you get rid of protein is determined mostly by your genetics. Since hair is protein, if you don't get enough protein in your diet you won't be producing as much waste. There's no hairstyle that will prevent hair loss if you're not consuming enough protein.
  9. Miesha
    Miesha
    I take Biotin supplements, i use hair mayonaise and oil not grease,and ive been going with the crochet braids! my hair actually grew instead of falling out!
  10. Aagemini
    Aagemini
    My hair loss was minimal. I wish someone STRESSED to me about taking the biotin or my protein intake early on. Thank goodness it was minimal. I dyed my hair a darker color and religiously take my biotin EVERYDAY!!
  11. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    You can wear any type of hairstyle. I was not in so much pain I could not do my hair. I got winded easy so anything low matienance would work good
  12. Schooby68
    Schooby68
    I currently have a full weave but I was considering singles post surgery. I need something low maintenance while I'm losing weight. Thanks for the biotin information. I will make sure to keep my protein and biotin up!
  13. a2twinsnanny
    a2twinsnanny
    I plan on getting some braids for my surgery. I have my hair cut in a bob and I know that I will not feel like styling it after surgery
  14. 12NVDiva
    12NVDiva
    I had long dreadlocks that I recently cut but I started hairfinity vitamins...so far so good!
  15. Imblesssed71
    Imblesssed71
    im getting sleeved in a few weeks. i have a sewin,
  16. RonaB
    RonaB
    So how far from surgery should you start taking biotin, or do you wait to start taking after surgery?
  17. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    I take multivitamins made for the sleeve and it has biotin in it. Our Dr did suggest extra biotin. I found one with keratin in it.