Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Now have my PCP's support!

1. txbluebonnet
    txbluebonnet
    So I finally broke down and made the appt. to ask my doctor about follow up care post surgery in Mexico. I was pleasantly surprised that he said sure, no problem. YESSSS! I have heard so many others say their doctors wouldn't do follow up for them since they were getting the surgery in Mexico. He said as long as I have done the research and feel comfortable about it, that it is my choice and he would support me. So he ran blood work, EKG, and did a chest X-ray. So I'm set and ready, come on May 20th!
  2. mstrigs
    mstrigs
    Good luck. Me April 11th.
  3. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    My doctor did the same for me here in Iowa.
  4. lindmar
    lindmar
    I am bad bad bad. Still have not talked to my pcp & my surgery was in mid-January. I'm due for a physical & blood work soon so will have to deal with it then.
  5. imtad
    imtad
    lindmar, I am the same. Although I only had WLS mid Feb. So I would like to know what extra or important tests I should have my Dr do when I finally go see one? I see blood test, but what are they looking for? What was the EKG for? Was that different than the one they gave you in Mexico? Oh wait, you have not gone yet...sorry.
  6. dawnbarnard
    dawnbarnard
    My PCP was the one who suggested I go to Mexico. LOL. I had an appt. with her day before last and she was totally in and already has me scheduled for my follow-up in 30 days after surgery. It's too bad other physicians don't support. I don't know of any surgeons here in my area who has done over 3500 bariatric surgeries like Dr. Garcia has. I tell ya, I'm all in too. I'm ready to ROCK N ROLL!!!
  7. lindmar
    lindmar
    Hi Imtad - I just planning on the regular panel of blood work they usually do. I'm going to specifically make sure tget check my vitamin levels & also iron, potassium, thyroid, cholesterol, glucose & A1C. My doc in MX said to go get blood work done at 3 months because my numbers have been going south the past few years. I'm kinda looking forward to it because I'm sure my numbers will all be MUCH better. The doc also told me to see a nutritionist at 1 month which I did. I went to the local bariatric center & she was great & very helpful. I never had an EDG so don't know about that.
  8. RonaB
    RonaB
    I have scheduled my surgery for December 13, 2014 and I no longer have a PCP as he retired a month ago. My dilemma is what should I do about follow up care once I return home? Any suggestions?
  9. ABetterBrandi
    ABetterBrandi
    Hi RonaB, do you have any friends who have had surgery? I would ask them who they use. If not, maybe call a couple of doctors and just ask the office staff if they have any other bariatric patients. I wouldn't go into your specific case just ask the general question, that way you can get a feel for their attitude towards it without it being so personal.

My doctor is diabetic, I think it makes him more understanding of the health benefits of the surgery. Perhaps see if you can find out if their office provides additional services like nutrition, diabetic monitoring, etc. I also think that smaller offices have more time and aren't as rushed to see the next patient. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth....maybe worth less than that.

Oh and I would find someone and set up an appointment before surgery, I would hate to have something like a simple infection at an incision site, have that as the first appointment and then feel a little stuck with who I have chosen.

Good luck with your search!
  10. RonaB
    RonaB
    Thanks so much for the advice. I do know a couple who have had the surgery in Mexico. I will ask them.
  11. dmart27
    dmart27
    I'm going to talk to my physician who takes care of my high blood pressure and diabetes on October 28th. She knows that I've been trying to lose weight for years. I went from 266lbs to 201lbs but now I'm back at 247lbs after my divorce. Keeping my fingers crossed. Scheduling my appointment for a physical one week after post op.
  12. dmart27
    dmart27
    @RonaB how about contacting your local urgent care facilities? My local urgent care physician has a weight loss client and they are always eager to answer questions and do blood work panels.
  13. dmart27
    dmart27
    Sorry weight loss clinic not client...lol typing on iPad