Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Entrees

1. Journey Tobeme
    Journey Tobeme
    Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry
    Author: Julia Frey of Vikalinka
    Recipe type: Main Cuisine: Indian
    Serves: 6-8 (this dish freezes and reheats well. Do not reheat in microwave)

Ingredients
    Oil-1 tbs.
    Onion, chopped-2 medium
    Garlic, chopped - 3-4 cloves
    Cilantro, chopped (stalks and leaves separated, stalks reserved)- 1 bunch
    Butternut Squash, diced- 1 medium
    Chickpeas- 1 can
    Patak's Korma Paste or any other curry paste (not cooking sauce)- 2 tbsp.
    Coconut Milk- 1 can
    Water- 2 cups
    Spinach- 100 gr
    Frozen Peas- ½ cup
    Desiccated unsweetened coconut (optional)- 2 tbsp.
    Salt- to taste
    Basmati Rice- 2 cups (personally I would sub quinoa)

Instructions
    Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large and deep pan and cook chopped onions, garlic and cilantro stalks over low heat for 10 minutes until soft and slightly coloured.
    Meanwhile dice your butternut squash to match the size of chickpeas. I leave the skin on as I discovered it cooks very nicely and eliminates a lot of unnecessary work. When the onions are tender add the curry paste and cook for a minute or so stirring the whole time, then add your squash, chickpeas, coconut milk, desiccated coconut, water and a pinch of salt, bring it to a boil by turning the heat up, then turn the heat down to a low-medium and simmer it covered for 35-40 minutes. Stir it occasionally to prevent from burning and add a few splashes of water if it gets too dry.
    Start on the rice. Cook your rice in the rice cooker according to the manufacture's instructions.
    Test the butternut squash, it should be fork tender by this point but not falling apart. Your curry should be thick so if it's too runny, uncover and let the liquid cook down for a few more minutes. When you are satisfied with the consistency of the curry stir in peas, spinach and cilantro leaves, cover with a lid and take off the heat.