Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Any other night shifters out there??

1. TNMama
    TNMama
    So I've been back to work for 2 weeks now and haven't lost a single pound . Anybody have any thoughts? I'm eating the same things, just different times.
  2. susi
    susi
    I was hoping they would answer your question!! I work nights and I was wondering the same thing . I hope everything is going good and you started loosingh wt!
  3. Hopefloatsup
    Hopefloatsup
    I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have friends. The thing everyone one keeps saying is the key is "Protein, Protein, Protein. " If you aren't eating food yet try High protein shakes. Good ones Isopure from GNC, Muscle milk from Sams club or Walmart. They have 30 - 40 grams of protein. One of my friends puts her muscle milk in her coffee. It flavors the coffee. And she sips on it between meals. Let me know if this works for you. I am hoping it will help me when I go back to work after my surgery. It's things I worry about the most. I work labor and delivery. I guess the upside is that it will only take a small amount of food to make me feel full. I usually don't have much time to eat.
  4. TNMama
    TNMama
    Still about the same here, although I have lost a couple of pounds over the last week, BUT, I've been off all week sick and i was on a "normal" schedule. So back tomorrow night and we'll see how this week goes.
  5. kiki70
    kiki70
    I am also a fellow night shifter. I have been off since my surgery and tomorrow I get to go back....yay. I am in a stall and hoping the mix up might just help me out....lol
  6. Cheryl s
    Cheryl s
    Hi, I am a night shifter, also. I was sleeved on 9/20/2012 so I am still off work. One of our supervisors had a full bypass a couple months ago and he is doing great. We have decided to support each other and it really helps, our coworkers are also very supportive. I even get phone calls around 2am wondering how I am doing, they will put me on speaker phone and everyone (who isn't in a pt room) will talk to me. It is so helpful and really cheers me up.

My surgeon said I could have 3 weeks off work. Is that going to be enough time? I work at an LTAC and do a lot of primary care to 3-5 patients without a tech. We do help each other turn pts and answer call lights.
  7. Cheryl s
    Cheryl s
    Hi, I am a night shifter, also. I was sleeved on 9/20/2012 so I am still off work. One of our supervisors had a full bypass a couple months ago and he is doing great. We have decided to support each other and it really helps, our coworkers are also very supportive. I even get phone calls around 2am wondering how I am doing, they will put me on speaker phone and everyone (who isn't in a pt room) will talk to me. It is so helpful and really cheers me up.

My surgeon said I could have 3 weeks off work. Is that going to be enough time? I work at an LTAC and do a lot of primary care to 3-5 patients without a tech. We do help each other turn pts and answer call lights.
  8. jnaed
    jnaed
    I'm a night nurse also working with intellectual and developmental disability campus of 4 cottages of 12 people each. I wont be having my surgery until Feb and will be doing it in Mexico. Hello all!
  9. piper
    piper
    Hi everyone, I am a night shifter, I am a charge Nurse in a busy level 3 NICU, I am having surgery in 7 days and I am taking 8 weeks off of work. My husband had gastric bypass Jan./2010. It took him that long to get the eating right. My surgeon feels that Nurses in general have the hardest time coming back early due to us not always being able to break, and our crazy schedules. it is very important to follow their nutrition guidelines and to stay hydrated. I dont know about all of you, but there are many nights that I dont sit down, never mind breaking to eat, or hydrating. Several nurses that I work with have had the sleeve in the past year, and all of them look amazing. Im really excited about my surgery. Great to know that there are other nurses on this site for me to relate to
  10. naschroeder
    naschroeder
    This is a big concern of mine...not being able to lose the weight due to my schedule. It seemed that when I moved from days to nights, I packed on the pounds...20 within the first 2 months. I wasn't eating anything different than I would if I was on days; probably even ate a little less, but the weight just kept coming. I've heard that working nights or shift work really messes with your metabolism. I'm concerned that I am going to struggle even after my surgery because of this.
  11. turtlewoman
    turtlewoman
    I know this is an older thread but I thought I would give it a bump.
  12. Jari Jo Cleary
    Jari Jo Cleary
    I had my surgery in December 2012 I had lost 60 pounds and was working day shift. Just recently they switched me to the night shift and now I have gained 10 pounds back. I am so frustrated, disappointed in myself and am not sure what to do to get back on track. I think I have become depressed due to the night shift as I hate it. Any suggestions would be wonderful. I feel like all I do is eat and sleep now
  13. ChrissyT
    ChrissyT
    I also work at night, 7 p to 7 a. I find I need to eat three times during the night. So I usually bring a yogurt, a protein smoothie, and something small leftover from dinner. That plus water/crystal light so far so good. But I just recently went back to work.
  14. bigrow1953
    bigrow1953
    I am a night shift nurse as well ( I am Bigrows-Rolands wife). I have not had a gastric sleeve surgery but I have lost 56 lbs over the last few years by dieting off and on. If I gain 10 lbs I go back on a diet. To lose the weight I have to stay around 800 calories a day. I am wondering if the problems might be that we are so tired on our days off that we find it hard to do anything besides catch up on sleep?
  15. Thinme
    Thinme
    I'm an ICU nurse I work nights too. I haven't had any problems losing weight. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep weight on once I reach my goal weight. I had a lapband to sleeve revision. I'm losing weight faster with the sleeve. The protein suggestion is a good on.