Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

You don't look like you need surgery. Black women are "supposed" to be thick

1. Schooby68
    Schooby68
    Really? If I hear these stupid comments one more time I'm going to scream! I decided not to share my surgery with anyone but my husband. The few people that I originally "mentioned " that I was thinking about the surgery immediately said, "you don't look big enough", and "black women are supposed to be thick".

My husband doesn't think that I need to surgery either but it's what I want so he will support me. I am 45, 5'3 and I weigh 205lbs. I have 3 daughters and since my 3rd child I've been stuck at 200+ lbs. My joust comfortable weight is 150. At 150 I can wear everything in my closet and I can wear everything in my closet. Being 200+ lbs isn't my only issue. I hate how I look naked and nothing in my closet fits. I'm doing this for me and I know that being "thick" is cool but being overweight and low on energy is not good for me.
  2. a2twinsnanny
    a2twinsnanny
    Girl! I know that is a cultural thing..but I believe that a woman can still be curvy without being obeise. I remember when I was slimmer, I still had my butt and boobs..they were just smaller versions. I know personally I just want to be healthier and feel more attractive. These days black women also have higher rate of diabetes and high blood pressure because of the "thickness" people need to stop judging others and just realize that white women aren't the only ones that can be healthy and fit
  3. bailey1987
    bailey1987
    I agree people have told me that I don't need the surgery. I have HBP, pre-diabetic and arthritis in my knees and hips. My trainer told me that I can lose weight with diet and exercise. I will be able to do all that after the surgery, right now it is a struggle to move sometimes. People don't understand how excess weight can make you feel sluggish and tired. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, 6/19 at 7:30 am, I have to have a hiatal hernia repair, have the lapband revision to the sleeve. Please pray for me. Thanks.
  4. Imblesssed71
    Imblesssed71
    Yes. I have heard that as well. But, you know what you need more than others. Do what is best for you.
  5. fluffynomore
    fluffynomore
    I can actually say I haven't heard that comment. I weigh more then what I look anyway. I started out at 355 and is now 220. Being 355, I absolutely had no medical problems, I was just obese and it started after college/childbirth.