Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Cell Phone service and contacting home?

1. Gudl1fe
    Gudl1fe
    Just wondering about cell service and contacting home after surgery?
  2. Romaniangel
    Romaniangel
    They have a phone you can use in the hospital if you ask the nurse for it, the hospital & hotel have wifi as well. I brought my cell phone but kept it on airplane mode cause i didn't want crazy roaming fees.
  3. Bill 59101
    Bill 59101
    If you have a smartphone you can install the Viber app. It allows you to make calls and send texts using the free WiFi at the hospital and hotel. The only catch is that anyone you call or text must also have Viber installed. I have been testing this app for a couple of days with both calls and texts and it seems to work well. The calls were very clear and connected just as fast as a cell call.

Another option is to rent a cell phone, it would cost like $3-4 per day with 7 day minimum. They send you a phone that can be used in mexico but has a US number so anyone who calls doesn't get hit with international charges. Calls would be $.25 per minute and texts would be $.25 each. It is just like a prepaid phone that you have to add airtime to. They include a prepaid package to return the phone after your trip. I found two that seemed legit and were recommended on other websites.If you want to look into it, the names are below.
    Mexitel Cellular- this one is done via ebay, but had good feedback
    Cello Mobile- this one is done via their website. they have live chat to answer questions.
  4. Cindola
    Cindola
    I didn't use my cell phone because it doesn't work outside of the US. I did take my IPad and used FaceTime to talk withy family from both the hospital and hotel. Also used my email accounts and Facebook to stay in touch.
  5. Lee6Lee
    Lee6Lee
    I used my ipad. The one cell phone for all-patient-use was constantly being recharged, so I gave up. I did use it once to give my family the "all is well".
  6. Gudl1fe
    Gudl1fe
    Thanks Everyone! Surgery is tomorrow and we are staying in touch with IM and FB!
  7. Lopezr
    Lopezr
    i used the vonage app ... its free to call anywhere in the us from anywhere as long as your on wifi and the other person does not need to have the app. Also it has a free call routing service so that anytime someone calls you it automatically routes through vonage. I used it the whole time and kept my phone in airplane mode. Worked like a charm! Definitely the way to go
  8. amyswisher
    amyswisher
    I downloaded "magic jack" to my iPhone. It works off of wifi. It was free