Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

To tell or Not to Tell, that is the Question.

1. SoniaDarlene
    SoniaDarlene
    I don't want to open myself up to negative comments or judgement, so I am choosing to keep this to myself. I work per diem as a nurse and was asked to pick up some extra shifts, I politely refrained and said I was having elective surgery. I felt like I needed to give them a reason. They did not ask any questions. I did not offer any explanations. What are your thoughts for avoiding/circumventing the questions that will come without out right lying?
  2. lou32
    lou32
    i have only told a few close friends & my manager , i to was/am concerned about judgemental ppl , a lot of ppl i know think loosing weight is all about self control , so they think this is the easy way out , i did not take the decision to be sleeved lightly and looked upon it as my last chance , if ppl ask me i wont lie , but most of them have just accepted that i have had an operation x
  3. Bill 59101
    Bill 59101
    I am honest and tell family, friends, and coworkers exactly what I am doing and where. I am not ashamed to be getting surgery or for going to Mexico to have it done. I understand people have their own feelings and may react in a negative way, but this is something I am doing to improve myself. Whether I spend years dieting and probably failing like I have in the past, or taking a trip to Mexico to have surgery, I am going to lose the weight regardless of how other people feel about it.
  4. Vicssleeve
    Vicssleeve
    The only person that knows about my planned surgery is my husband. I told my manager that I need time off for surgery - she didn't ask for details, and I know I don't have to give details of the surgery either.
    I also don't care to hear anyone's opinion or open myself up to judgement. I just feel that this is my own decision for my own health.
    I have just been practising what I will say when people noticed losing weight!
  5. emski87
    emski87
    I've told my close friends as I know I will need support after, as it's a lifestyle change. Also, be hard to keep turning down going for meals etc, they will wonder what's going on etc. I've had some problems recently with my polycystic ovaries, so my boss has assumedy surgery is to do with that and I haven't told him any different.
    I have 1 friend inparticular who managed to lose 12 stone in the last 2 years, she was the hardest person to tell, as she did it all naturally. People judge so quickly, luckily she understood my reasons for doing it and will be there for me.

I understand those who don't want to tell people because of being judged, here in UK everyone from the press to your neighbour has an opinion I find, in that most people see it as cheating and someone will always say "the NHS shouldn't be paying for these operations for fat people whilst people can't beget life saving medications" for me, and many others I suspect, this is life saving for me. I can't carry on the way I am and with PCOS it's really quite difficult!

Anyway.....if you feel you can't tell friends and family and want to keep it quiet, you'll always have is on the forum to help and support as best we can x
  6. SchoolRN
    SchoolRN
    I am a revision and the surgery is happening a week and a half after I come back from a two week vacation (we had booked our cruise to Alaska 8 months ago) so the timing was not the best. I have not told everyone in our office, but those that I am closer too and my Director and Executive Director. With my slipped band I have been able to eat about anything, so this will definitely change how we can eat in public. I work at a small state agency and we do a monthly birthday breakfast or luncheon with our monthly staff meeting. My family and friends have seen the "lovely food getting stuck & slimeing with the band" so they are happy, but somewhat concerned.
  7. SoniaDarlene
    SoniaDarlene
    So I am thinking about what I will tell people as they notice that I am losing weight. My husband and I are doing this together so we will both be losing a massive amount of weight...It will be obvious something MAJOR has changed in our lives. I still don't want to tell them we had surgery, yet I know a lot of people will ask, How are you doing it? My ornery side of me wants to say, "diet and exercise" because that is what so many well meaning people have told me over the years on how to lose weight. And yes, that is true. Perhaps I will say, Diet and exercise and that it's all about consuming less calories than I burn. Even after the sleeve, we will still need to lower calories and even years after the sleeve still keep on a low cal diet and maintain exercise, I know this is no freebie. Simply, the surgery gets our bodies back to a state in which we can successfully in the long term keep the weight off if we follow the plan.
  8. lmdee73
    lmdee73
    I have decided that when the time comes, if asked, I will be honest. Most everyone in my office knows. Most of my family knows. Some of my closest friends or those that I feel will have a postive influence on my quest for health know. Many of my friends have had either band, bypass or sleeve...some have had success and others have not. I've learned a lot through watching them. As for everyone else, it's really none of their business, but if they ask how, I will not be ashamed to tell them. I intend to OWN my sleeve and OWN the results that it provides!
  9. Pooky
    Pooky
    That is a good question! I'm two weeks out from surgery and so far I've only told my husband, my mom and step-dad. I only told my mom and step-dad because they live so close, it's pretty much unavoidable. I have struggled with this question for a long time now, more so after insurance approval of course. Even though we know it's a lot of hard work, I feel like so many people think weight loss surgery is an easy way out, I don't want to deal with those comments. Yet (like SoniaDarlene mentioned above) what do you say when you are losing weight so fast. I'm just eating healthy and a LOT less and exercising? I guess that isn't really lying. I don't know ... this is a toughy for me.
  10. reinventme
    reinventme
    I have told people i work with . I think it will be obvious when i eat almost nothing at first and hopefully lose weight at a rate not common or recommended with diet and exercise alone. Only one person has been negative and she is a skinny person that hasnt a clue what it is to be fat. If i change jobs 6 months from now then prob would not tell new people unles job was in bariatric office
  11. Mvanjames
    Mvanjames
    I've told a few close friends, and my daughters. Besides that, I have my husband for support. I just feel more comfortable keeping this mostly private. My husband is super supportive, thank you God.. I think my biggest issue with sharing the info is that I have enough to think about, I don't need to hear all those that are uneducated give me their thoughts, or opinions on how I should try this diet, or that diet. I'm educated and have put plenty of thought and research into this decision, I know I am doing the right thing for me!
  12. CarlP
    CarlP
    I've told my immediate family and a few close friends. I've gotten concerned reactions from some, but not unsupportive. Now here is my deal. I've been a police officer for 20 years who has done mainly Crime Scene Investigation. With that said, we'll see how these guys react when they hear or see the news.
  13. dbcassidy
    dbcassidy
    I've told a few friends and family, but I have not told anyone no one at my workplace (as they are not a supportive group of people). If anyone from my company asks, I will tell them that I am on a medically supervised weight loss program.
  14. Stephjlee
    Stephjlee
    I work in an orthopedic office that recommends the surgery to patients regularly so I have told the people that I work with (I have also worked there for 15 years so many of them are like my family) and they are so supportive! Other that that it has been the friends and family that I interact with regularly. No big facebook reveal or anything like that so far. Not that I may not get the courage to do it prior to surgery, my husband did that the day before surgery and he has had nothing but support from his friends. My thought is that if they can't support me then I don't need them and its easy to unfriend them on FB.
  15. Lorna
    Lorna
    I have decided not to tell anyone at work, told my manager that I am having a "procedure" I'm taking a week off then going back. Everyone in my office is on the "Ideal Protein" diet so I will just be eating the same way they are and losing just as quickly. I have no interest in hearing about how I should just do it on my own. I work in an environment that is very medically sound, we are doing obesity research and less invasive surgery procedures are on the horizon however, they have not been approved by insurance in this country as yet. They probably wouldn't believe me anyway they are all of the mind set that 1% of the obese community has the surgery the other 99% does it on their own.
  16. CarlsbadNanny
    CarlsbadNanny
    I've only told my husband who is 100% supportive of my decision. I asked work for personal time off and legally they cannot ask the reason for such. I'm not sure if I will share my journey or not with friends or extended family. It's my choice and it's private. I will be happy to refer people following my procedure but will only explain that I know about it from research. I try to shy away from negative people and why add fuel to their drama.
  17. SDmom2two
    SDmom2two
    decide on your own. I have one friend in particular I was really worried about as she is a bit judgemental but she has been pretty supportive. The night before we were out at a sushi restaurant. (I had hot green tea). Her mom didnt know and when I said what it was she gave my friend a "see you should do it" look so I felt guilty. She also has a weight issue. I have changed and now having surgery its is to me such a difficult process ie the surgery that if you want to tell them, go ahead. My doc gave me a photo of my stomach post surgery ie internal pic - if anyone says "oh you cheated" I am going to have on my phone and whip out for them.
  18. kpayden2000
    kpayden2000
    I struggle with this topic because I'm a fairly open person. I only told a select few people because I don't want to be offended by ppl's ignorance or judgement of me. I have lupus and trying to explain what that is has been exhausting so explaining WLS would only be worse. Besides, it's not about anyone else it's about me. All my doctors were on board and being a RN I did tons of research. I'm confident in my decision and when the time is right I will be honest.
  19. InthelandofOZ
    InthelandofOZ
    I tried not to tell anyone but I was so excited when our insurance added it to our coverage that now most people at work know and of course my immediate family knows.

Surprisingly to me, everyone has been super supportive when I tell them! The more I talk about it the more people say “Oh I know someone who did that (or had surgery of some kind)!”  So when/if someone asks me afterwards I’m going to tell them “I had surgery” and hopefully they are supportive (if not I don’t really care – I did it for myself and my family) or hopefully they can tell someone unhealthy that they know “Hey I know someone who did it and they look great” – a pay it forward if you well ….well that’s what I’m going to tell myself!

One of my sisters was weary at first because she’s worried about me and yesterday she said it was because she doesn’t think I’m that big – bless her heart!  That’s love right there when you’re 5’3” 255 pounds and not seen as big. LOVE HER!

But…I’m not going to be Facebook’in it or anything 

Good luck!