Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Hi there! Heres my story please add your Horsey tales. ;)

1. RRT
    RRT
    My story.
    I live about 35 mins. west of New Orleans La. My husband and I have a little spread "Shady Acres" that's three acres. We have a five stall barn and tack room. We use ElectroBraid for our fencing and love it. I'm 57 and have been riding and loving horses my whole life. It is my passion.

I ride english and western. Born and raised in Nebraska I went on quite a few real cattle drives. I was a jumper also and by the age of 12 was jumping 5 feet. Also got to be a Whipper- In in the local hunt club. I did a crap load of things on horses. Ah the stories I could tell.
    When we bought our little piece of heaven(Oct. 1999) and built the barn, put up the fencing etc. We moved our four horses here. We had stabled our horses for many years as land close to New Orleans is expensive. Worked very, very hard for this.

If I find a good horse I keep them. I train them and they are all bridal wise. My husband is an excellent rider. He is 13 years older then me and Native American from So. Dakota. Our styles are a little different but same in principle of gentleness. Not concrete cowboy!!

In early 2010 I lost my mare "Pahsu". I was devastated. Raised Pahsu from a foal. She was a beautiful black Appaloosa and 15.2 hands. She suddenly got sick and it moved to her lungs. I am a Respiratory Therapist and I've been doing my own Vet work for over 40 years. Can stitch up a cut or make a potent salve and place a tube in a horse's stomach to stop colic. So I treated her. Steroids, breathing treatments, antibiotics. My Vet wanted me to stop and put her down because she was terminal. I couldn't. But I did finally and she died in my arms. She was 22. 2010 was a very bad year. Towards the end of 2010 my other horse Chan'De died he was 35 and we had him for 30 years. I loved that horse like family and I trained him. He WAS family. He was that special horse you ride once in a lifetime (Ive rode Im sure over a thousand horses). He was the horse I could drop the bridle on and ride a western riding pattern. I trained him to jump too.
    At the end of 2012 my husbands horse joined our other two in heaven. His name was Cody and totally my husbands horse. He was trained by my husband who when we got Cody was a scared and abused horse. Leo(my husband) worked on Cody and gentled him to the point that three year olds were riding that big baby. He was 32 and Leo had him for 26 years.
    Like I said we don't go through horses like water. Lol. We keep what we like. So we are down to one horse now. A big bay mare named Scooter(24) who I raised from a foal. Unfortunately Scoot is pretty much un ridable because of a front leg injury. She misses her family(horse) terribly.

I was extremely depressed after losing our horses and other horrible things that happened in the last three years. So I put on a lot more weight to add to my fat self. Severe depression. BUT.............................................
    Now more than anything on this planet I want another horse!!!!! I'm in the best shape i've been in for years(mentally and physically). I'm ready. But i'm going to have to wait until I can afford another horse or two. Money.

Ok I'm not nuts. I just think it's wonderful to be talking to other horse people. Horse people that got the sleeve. I hope I haven't scared any of you with my introduction. Ekkk.
    Please share back about your lives.
  2. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    Hi Lea,
    Thank you so much for sharing your horse life with us. I, too, am grateful to be able to talk to other horse people. My story is a little different as I grew up in Boston and only had contact with horses during the summer at our New Hampshire cottage, but it started at age 4. Once I was older and could afford it, I would go riding as often as possible. I finally left my life out east and horses helped me get through that situation. In my new life, I took care of over 140 horses, goats, cows, chickens, etc. for a ranch. I rode every day! Then the ranch closed due to finances and I found myself quite depressed. I put more than 85 lbs and no diet, plan, or exercise plan worked enough to get me through it. I was able to keep my personal horse and work hard to make sure she is in a safe, loving, boarding barn close to my home. As of right now, I can't imagine putting all of my western tack on her and then adding me to that weight. I ride her bareback now and again to keep that connection, but feel bad that I have gained so much.

I am scheduled for surgery on May 14. I have already lost 7 lbs due to diet changes. I know it is going to be a long road, but I keep pushing myself to remember what it was like to be healthy and happy again. I currently live in Michigan (holy shit cold) but once I'm healed and healthy, we are Florida bound. My sister lives there and I need to be in the sunshine. I am solar powered and living in a dark gray state is negatively affecting me too much. This is the year of ME!
  3. RRT
    RRT
    Jules I'm so sorry it took me this long to respond. Please forgive me. I loved reading your "Horsey" story. And thank you. I see you are losing the weight quite well!! Bravo/Brava girl. I think you will love Florida. I love Florida! Lol. Wow you took care of 140 horses? Now that's a whole lot of hard work isn't it? And then to lose it. I would have been devastated also. Ya know in my whole long life I never really felt whole if I went to long not riding a horse. Sigh.
    Ride on!!!
  4. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    Oh no worries! I have some difficulties keeping up with posts and replies all of the time. Lol! Thanks for the encouragement!!!