Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Pre-op Liquid Diet - NERVOUS!!

1. lg91077
    lg91077
    Hello Everyone... Fairly new to the forum (I joined a few months ago, but havent really posted much of anything yet). Just trying to get some tips from anyone who had to do a full liquid diet two weeks before surgery. I know that some surgeons allow their patients to eat at least one meal a day in those last 2 weeks prior to surgery, but my surgeon allows no food (except one low carb yogurt per day). I understand the purpose, but I'm so terrified that I wont be able to handle it! any advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. SUZYSLEEVE
    SUZYSLEEVE
    Learn to handle it or the surgery will b riskier
  3. Canesfn17
    Canesfn17
    You can do it! Mind over matter! How much do you want this and how much do you want to succeed? It's just food, you have to learn to think in a whole new way!
  4. SKMI
    SKMI
    I bought lots of different protein drinks for variety... I freeze them and west them like ice cream or a thick shake! Try variety!
  5. hmswsu
    hmswsu
    You will be fine but I won't lie- it is hard. I did the same thing with trying a lot of different shakes to see what I liked the best. I also got baking extracts and added them for flavor. For example, I might have peppermint extract in a chocolate muscle milk for one meal and coconut extract in a chocolate muscle milk for another meal. My doctor said I could also get sugar free coffee syrups and use those. Freezing the drinks is an option but they certainly aren't as exciting as they sound. My doctor also let me have broth which was a HUGE blessing as I was really craving something salty. And I was able to have sugar free Popsicles which was a great treat. I found that muscle milk was my favorite of all the shakes but there are TONs out there. After surgery I had to do a liquid diet for awhile and then also drink a protein shake every day after that and I found my taste buds changed dramatically. So don't be surprised if you have to try new things after the surgery. I wish I would have written down notes about the different shakes I tried like whether they were fairly sweet or grainy or chalky or... Anyway- hope this helps! I also had several people at work that did the shakes with me while I was at work and that made a huge difference. I also made sure to avoid eating in the lunch room or places where I would smell tempting foods because that was hard for me too. My boyfriend, who I live with, would try to eat dinner before I got home so it wasn't harder for me than it needed to be- which was really nice!
  6. Vg1978
    Vg1978
    I was on an all liquid diet + green leafy veggies (vinaigrette only). It sucked big time but I lost a ton of weight during that process!! Jello every other hour, tons of protein shakes and ice tea were all of my favorites. Good luck and stick to it!!!
  7. Dsnychick
    Dsnychick
    I have been on the all liquid diet since Friday...Im not going to lie, it stinks to see everyone eating, but if you space out your protein and your fiber drinks (if thats what your are supposed do) you find you wont be terribly hungry. i also found mixing my fiber(benefiber) shake with propel zero helps
  8. lg91077
    lg91077
    thanks everyone. I know that I can do it because I really do want to be successful - I guess I was just looking for tips on how you guys got through it - so thanks for the input!
  9. sleevedinNJ2013
    sleevedinNJ2013
    I just started my preop diet today. I am not on full liquids, I am on 4 shakes a day 1/2 cup fruit at every meal and 2 cups of veggies at dinner. I am a little hungry but it is not completly terrible. I know you will get through it just as I will. We are strong individuals.
  10. meme_mayham
    meme_mayham
    will the dr tell u what to do or is it up to u to figure it out?
  11. lavishcorpchic
    lavishcorpchic
    I'm in the process of seeing my nutritionist. I have 2 months to go my dr is recommending for me to be on the liquid diet for 4 weeks is this a usual procedure?
  12. ssc22880
    ssc22880
    I've noticed all the 2 week liquid diets before surgery. i'm very happy i only had to do 5 days of no food and just clear liquids, nothing with calories at all. guess i got lucky
  13. Saraslick
    Saraslick
    It's crazy how we're all doing the same thing, yet we're all told to do something slightly different.
  14. jduford
    jduford
    It is hard and you will be tired from lack of food, but it is possible. I was fine until I smelled food. My husband grilled a lot right before my surgery and I actually sucked on one of my children's hamburgers, just to get the flavor in my mouth. Just to let you know, it made the food cravings worse.

Take a deep breathe and keep reminding yourself of why you are doing this in the first place. This will not make the process any easier, but it did keep me on track.