Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How critical is protein to your weght loss?

1. JeanethReinoso
    JeanethReinoso
    Hi all my name is Jeaneth and I am a 27 year old mother of 3 who had her vsg about a month ago (Oct. 21st) and have lost a total of 24lbs since surgery! I went for my last appointment Monday morning and I had only lost 2lbs in 2 weeks since my last appoint Needless to say I was devastated when I saw only 2 numbers down but It made me think that I am doing something wrong! I had switched to a new unflavored protein shake recently and I am wondering if that is where my problem lies or is it because they had started me on reg foods? I know that I don't get the correct amount of protein in in a day because I cant stomach the protein shakes. So I recently started eating just 3ozs of grilled chicken for each meal to get the protein I needed I feel like I am failing and I am wondering if I get enough protein will I loose more or if I get less will I loose more? I walk on a daily basis and am constantly on my feet except now when the kids are asleep as I am in home daycare provider and am always chasing little ones around or cleaning etc. If I just drank water alllll day would I loose more then drinking the protein shakes? The first 3 weeks I just drank as much liquids as I could and drank one protein shake a day and I lost 14lbs seeing the low numbers the last 2 weeks makes me want to go back to that I just don't know if I will be doing more harm then good! Please help!
  2. Annie4
    Annie4
    Hi Jeaneth! No please don't cut back on your protein intake. You NEED at least 60 grams of protein a day. Remember, our sleeve is just a tool in helping us get to our goal. I understand your concern, but our protein intake is our lifeline. Please keep checking until you find a protein powder that you like. I love, love, love Body Fortress whey protein which you can purchase at Wal-Mart. I love the chocolate or the chocolate peanut butter flavors. I add 2 oz. of egg whites, to 6 oz. of skim milk, along with a little less than half a scoop of the choc. protein into my shaker bottle and I have a shake with 20 grams of protein. The grilled chicken shouldn't be your problem. I believe the slowing of your weighloss is due to not enough protein. Also remember that the protein is what your body needs now to help heal. Best of Luck to you and I'm sure you will start seeing those pounds drop off. Please don't get discouraged. You can do this!!
  3. butterfly2013
    butterfly2013
    Have you tried fruit flavored protein drinks instead of the "milky shakes"? Try New Whey Liquid protein which has 42 g of protein in just 3.8 oz. They come in 7 different fruit flavors. Go to their website newwhey.com and under contact us ask for a sample and tell them your surgeon's name and surgery date. I got 4 free whole bottles to sample. I can say they are a little thick liquid and I like the sour fruity taste. If you can get one down a day that's over half your daily need. They cost about $2.50 each but I bought some off ebay for $1 ea and free shipping. Also try Isopure drinks; it's kinda like crystal light in different fruit flavors. The only one I didn't like was Alpine Frost but Apple Melon & Blue Rasberry tastes kinda like a jolly rancher. Isopure has 40 g of protein in 20 oz. and I bought them at the local vitamin store for $4.50 each. The protein powder I like best is Unjury and I get it from my surgeon's office but you can go to UNJURY Medical Quality Protein. Best Tasting Whey Protein Isolate Powder. Most Trusted Whey Protein Powder Supplement. High Quality Whey Protein. Also, use Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added from your grocery store add 1/3 c non-fat dry milk and 1 c skim milk for a protein shake has 21 g in just 8 oz. I can only drink the milky shakes ice cold...once they get warm that funky protein taste comes through. Good Luck. Message me if you want some more recipes.

Recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Protein Shake
    Put all ingredients in blender / magic bullet until mixed frothy. Note: shake will double in volume & become foamy due to the air mixed in. I always let sit for 30 mintues in fridge to "settle" back done to a liquid. It can also be in fridge for up to 2 days.
    1 c skim milk
    1/3 c non-fat dry milk
    1 scoop strawberry protein powder or 1 pkt carnation instant breakfast strawberry sugar free
    1/2 c frozen strawberries
    1 T Vanilla sugar free syrup (I used Torani brand) or vanilla extract
  4. JenMN
    JenMN
    It's very critical I have realized if I don't get enough protein I stop losing.