Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Welcome TALL Sleevers

1. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Hello Tall Sleevers to the group!

I am new to this website and forum, but felt the need to include our rare perspective. Please feel free to join this group if you are 5'9" tall and up and feel that you want to share your tall and grown views. I have one, so here it goes...

When I have shared with people that I am on a diet, they ask how much I have to lose. When I say 150 pounds they are alarmed and ask why so much. As if I have lost my mind. This has been an issue for me as a tall person. What smaller people fail to see is that I carry my weight differently being tall. Yes, I can throw on a pair of heels, a nice longer fitting top and a jacket in a darker color and mask my weight, but it doesn't matter because when I take it all off I see what they see in the mirror, THE REAL THING. I experience the aches and pains in my joints probably more because I'm tall and I have high blood pressure, so I'm on meds, possibly like them. They don't see that but I see it and I feel it. I also know that a shorter person weighing the same weight as me will wear a much smaller size, so clothes shopping with that person can be a train wreck mentally.

So what responses do you experiences when you share you weight loss goals or if you share your surgery (which I have only shared with about three people at my office)?

Again, this group is for the taller perspective and we need to unite on our journey. Hope to hear from you soon!
  2. kellyjdavis78
    kellyjdavis78
    I am right there with you all the way! I too have told few people, and only one that I want to loose 150lbs. She told me I would be dead....I am not telling her how much I weigh and that I actually propbably could even go to 175. Like you said, I am also pretty tall (5'10.5") And I do hide it well or was. I have run out of room for hiding though and now have started to expand out!

My surgery is on Nov 22. Hopefully I am as expanded as I am going to get right now!

Kelly
  3. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Well Welcome Kelly! I am glad to have you as my only member to date. Hopefully other Tall Sleevers will see the value of this group.

It is quite alarming to hear how some people view our decisions especially because we do not fit into the shorter mode. I have been a size 28 and almost a 30 when I told myself enough was enough. I try not to go above a 24 but that size is way too much.

Kelly, I'm new and haven't been given a date yet for surgery. I am thinking that once I have the surgery, our numbers will increase but I still don't know when. Can you share with me when your process began and if you have had to lose any weight?
  4. Ms.Asia
    Ms.Asia
    I see that this is a common problem with our people.
    I'm 6'0" & I have been a big girl ALL OF MY LIFE. The height through the decades has masked SOME of my weight to the world. My joints have always been a problem for me. I've been on & off of diets since I was 5 yrs old. After while, I just accepted the weight. BUT NOW that I just turned 30 a couple weeks ago, I will not accept this unhealthy lifestyle anymore. I want to live... and live healthy! This tool (not an "easy way out"), along with exercise & healthy eating, will be the first step in a lifetime process for us. Be strong & stay healthy everyone!
    Happy Loosing!(^-^)
  5. ThisIs4Me
    ThisIs4Me
    Hi, glad I found this forum, im 6'2" and was 6' at 12 yrs old and flat chested as hell! It was funny to hear guys behind me talkin and then they see me from the front and realize I was very young! lol I was "normal" wt when I was young.

I hate when ppl look at u like ur nuts when u say u wanna lose wt! I would also like 2 lose abt 150 and I get these looks like I have 3 heads and spit fire when I tell ppl that lol.

I am also tired of ppl staring at me like im on display wherever I go, or the rude comments guys make to me or behind my bk because their manhood feels threatened because im taller than they r...Tough sh!t shorty! lol
  6. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    You too ThisIs4Me!!! I was called the Jolly Green Giant when I was younger and yes, I find that some men are challenged with their manhood around tall women. That's not our problem~ Glad that you are on the site!
  7. ThisIs4Me
    ThisIs4Me
    At least u were called jolly green giant, I have always been called amazon...of course "its not meant 2 b mean"...ya ok and when I tell u ur a sawed off runt, its in the most loving, kindest, sweetest way possible!

Another thing that gets me is when im in a store and someone 4'2" says "o ur soo nice and tall could u plz get that 4 me up there" so depending on my mood, I usually look at them and say "ya if u can get that can on the bottom shelf 4 me" I know I sound mean, but im not lol just tired of ppls ignorance!

Im glad I found this forum too
  8. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    OMG, you didn't just go there with people asking you to reach something for them (HA) happens a lot, also what about this one...Did you play basketball? As if all tall people play basketball.... Oh well, it is a tall person's perspective and that's what this forum is for Keep posting!
  9. ThisIs4Me
    ThisIs4Me
    OMG yes, all the time I got asked if I played basketball! I even had the coach in school harass me abt it! Lol

How bout this one, I used to work at a convenience store and a guy stretched forward to look over the counter at my feet and I asked him what he was doin and he said he was "lookin to c if I was standin on a box"!! I bein the smartass that I am leaned over to his side of the counter and he said what r u doin and I said "I was lookin to c if u were standin in a hole"! His friend abt peed himself laughing and told him "that's what u get"! Lol
  10. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Umpf! Too funny!
  11. carynrn07
    carynrn07
    I totally agree about us "hiding" our weight. I had my surg on 10/25 and haven't told many either. NOBODY knows how much I weighed and I'm not sure they ever will, and if people try to guess my weight, they are wayyyyyyy off. When the ones that do know ask what I want my goal weight to be I have a hard time answering that question, mostly because I don't agree with the BMI charts. The highest weight I should weigh to still be considered at a "healthy" weight is 170 at 5'9. I could probably stand to be that weight but ideally and realistically I think about 200 would be a good goal.
  12. Watch out world
    Watch out world
    Hi ladies!! I am also one of those people that can hide it well... Well... I am done hiding it. I'm ready to be BEAUTIFUL!!! I am 5'9" and am ready for the next step in my life! I'm sure we will all do great with each others support!
  13. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Yes Cary the charts still seem smaller than they should and Watch I agree. I'm ready to fling these clothes to fat heaven!
  14. RRT
    RRT
    Hi everybody. I'm 5' 9.5" and people are shocked when I tell them I have already lost 70 lbs since my surgery. They say that I couldn't have been that fat. Or you carried it well. What the hell I carried it well? I looked like crap. Lol. Yes I am still fat and want another 30 lbs off.
  15. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Welcome RRT, they just don't get it with us. We are a rarity
  16. ThisIs4Me
    ThisIs4Me
    I agree BladeFox, ppl act as though u should b on display in a museum or something the way they stare and point! Ppl like to ask how the air is "up there" so I tell them its better than the smog dn there
  17. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Anyone in this group sleeved yet?
  18. Watch out world
    Watch out world
    I am sleeved.. I got my sleeve on 12/02/13. I weighed in at 260 when I started my jurney with my doctor, lost 15 lbs prior to surger and lost 15 lbs when I weighed in 17 days out.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Beth
  19. Watch out world
    Watch out world
    Sorry for the spelling problems... LOL
  20. RedSonya
    RedSonya
    Hello group! I was 6 feet two most of my adult life. I was told a few years ago that I am now 5 feet 11.5 inches. The height loss is guessed to be due to my weight compressing my spine. At my heaviest, I was 389. I dropped to 346 before surgery. I am now 333. Surgery was Dec. 11. I too carry my weight very well. When I told people I needed to lose 200 lbs no one believed me. No one believes that I weigh what I do. One annoying issue I have discovered is that after a 56 lb weight loss in the last 5 months, I only dropped 1 pant size! I envy the shorter people who can drop 50 lbs and that equals 6 pant sizes. Lol. Otherwise, I love my height.
  21. butterfly2013
    butterfly2013
    I'm 6 ft 1 in and weighed at my heaviest 411 lbs. in July 2012. I got down to 336 lbs. by my surgery date of Dec 9th. I've only gone down 2 pant sizes. I can loose 20 lbs and it not be that noticeable. I never told people my weight because I was so embarrassed but I just asked my family members what they thought I weighed in July at our Christmas get-together. I was amazed. I got answers from 230-300 lbs so I must carry weight differently. Noone even thought I topped over 400 lbs. I'm supposed to weight 175-190 but that is a joke and I would look sickly thin. When I weighed 200-220, I was happy with my body, felt sexy and had a flat stomach. I will always wear plus size clothes but I want to be a 14/16 instead of a 30/32. Loosing 200 lbs so I would be 211 lbs is my GOAL!

Funny note about me: My ex-husband is only 5ft 3in and I told him we couldn't date bc he was just too short. But, I hated always being judged by my height so I gave him a chance and we ended up married for 9 years. Now we have 2 sons 13yr old 5ft 7in and a 14yr old 6ft 2in. they tower over their daddy. LOL

This is a great topic for a group.
  22. Promise20000
    Promise20000
    Lol, I'm loving this thread and group!

I'm 5'9
    I loved it when one of my best friends who is petite guessed my weight at 160 only 45 pounds more than her! I never tell people my weight! I have a pretty face just need to lose 15 pounds! Yeah right! More like 80!!! Tall hides it well....heard that too.

I'm so ready to do this.
    I haven't picked my day for surgery but I'm excited after finding this post!
  23. BunnyinHat
    BunnyinHat
    Hello Everyone!!! My name is Angela and I am 5ft 11inches. I am so excited to have found this group. My highest weight was 375 and I am now 335. I am so excited about my journey!!!
  24. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Wow, it seems that we increased in size over the holidays with some more Tall Sleevers!!! Congratulations on getting sleeved and on your journey and hope to see you healthy soon.
  25. Shay's Sleeve
    Shay's Sleeve
    Hello everyone. I too am glad that I found this group. I am 5ft. 8in.and 288lbs. I get," you are so tall" comments a lot. My family and friends do not think I'm "that big." I've been told that I do not need to lose much weight, to just tone up. Muscles weigh more than fat. I feel the aches and pains of being obese. The few family members and friends that I have told that I would like to lose 138 pounds say that I would look sick at 150 pounds. After high school I looked and felt good at 170 pounds but I wore large tops and a size 14 in jeans. It was hard finding my size jeans even at that size. I do not want to be in plus size clothing any more. I would like to wear at least a medium top and size 10 or 12 in jeans.
  26. skip0410
    skip0410
    Hi everyone! I'm 6' and because of my height and weight everyone thought I should be an offensive lineman. I had the same issue about how I carried my weight. Most people thought I was only about 3/4 of my actual weight. Finally, about age 35, the wear and tear caught up with me. Had my sleeve done on February 26. Glad to find a group that understands the issues of being tall and carrying extra weight! :-)

p.s. Tall women don't intimidate. Short minded men are insecure! ;-)
  27. mynewlife14
    mynewlife14
    So glad to find this group. i am 5 10.5 and everyone was all freaked out when i told them i was having surgery to finally lose weight snd get healthy. You don't need that you only have a few pounds to lose. I weighed 340 when I started this, 311 at the time I met my surgeon and SW 301 Surgery was 4/14/14 and now I am 291. My hubby says my face is skinnier. I hope by the time i go back to work it is noticed that I lost something.

P.S. Married 5 times, One major jerk was 6 6. #2 5 4. #3 6.0, #4 5.8, Recently 5.11, i will be keeping this one.
  28. longingfortall
    longingfortall
    So glad to have like minded people. A good friend of mine said ... No way do you Ned to lose 100 lbs but I am tired of wearing size 24-26 and would love to be able to shop in the regular size stores...much cheaper too. Still need tall sizes but at least they will be more plentiful and easier to find. I was always ticked off that clothes designers didn't think tall people needed large sizes. I used to be 5'10 1/4" and now 5'9" still need long Levi's though... LOL! My leg length is 36" .
  29. BladeFox
    BladeFox
    Hey I know what you mean. My co-workers can shop off the rack at JC Penney's in misses and find the cutest stuff, while I'm still paying for cuteness at lane Bryant and they aren't nearly as tall as me so no worries. Pants will always be an issue, but at least ill be able to shop off any rack one day.