Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

South Mississippi Weight Loss Center

1. Momof3jml
    Momof3jml
    Are any you our South Mississippi group members using Dr. Avara or Dr. Jenkins? Do any of you have the state employees BCBS insurance? If so, how long once your paperwork was submitted did it take to get your approval?
  2. Happimom
    Happimom
    I used Dr. Avara for my lap-band, but became unsatisfied during the process for the sleeve. I met with Dr. Balder (Garden Park) and was instantly placed at ease. They accept school insurance and work with you very closely every step of the way. I do not know how long the process takes because I had to self pay. My process took less than one month from my first appointment to surgery. Today is day 42 post op and I've lost 33 pounds so far! Dr. Balder is a very conscientious, caring, and compassionate physician. He was even willing to delay his family's spring break vacation if I had any problems after surgery. The ladies in his office are super kind and made me feel comfortable right away. I feel like they are vested in my journey as a friend. The office is in the building right next to Garden Park and I was able to schedule my date, walk next door and have my pre-op work completed all in one afternoon! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions
  3. clt052902
    clt052902
    I also had my surgery with Dr. Balder August 12, 2013. I loved him. He takes the extra time to answer any and all questions. I also called one day about some problems I was having and they immediately put on the phone with his nurse who spent the time with me going over my issues and what I was doing wrong and also gave me info on how to improve. I have heard though that Dr. Jenkins office, whom I had back in October for gallbladder surgery and was great, sells a protein shake called Unjury. I was wondering if anyone knows of this. I tried it through a friend and absolutely loved it. Don't like the idea of having to order online.
  4. iobytiffany
    iobytiffany
    I too just had the sleeve done by Dr.Balder I so love his staff they are so caring ^ so is DR Balder! I am 50 days since surgery and down 39 pounds! I am glad to see others are on here in South Mississippi!
  5. knip_toh
    knip_toh
    I just had my first meeting with Dr. Avara - today receive the call about my insurance - next step is to schedule my Psych Review and begin my Weight Management for 4 months
  6. April_2014
    April_2014
    Hey Mississippi Sleevers....I have the state BCBS insurance and started my process in July 2013. Dr. Balder and his crew are awesome!! Dr. Balder really works with you each step of the way. I started the process after receiving email notification that our insurance will now cover surgery that meets criteria. I went through the six months of weight management over the phone with Active Health, psych review, nutrition eval, EKG, blood work, sleep study (found out I have sleep apnea), and 6 surgeon visits all as outlined with insurance. Well at my last visit with Dr. Balder early in January I got so excited because although it was a long process so far, I was assured that the turn around from insurance would be quick....THEY WERE RIGHT!! It was a week later that I received the letter from BCBS that I was DENIED!!! You see when you are given you list of eligibility requirements, there are additional criteria that you DON'T get. My BMI is 37 which is in the range where there needs to be two co morbidities in order for the surgery to be "medically necessary." Well going into this I already knew I have high blood pressure and then I took the sleep study test first to discover that I also have sleep apnea both of which are qualifying co morbidities. Well, when you go for your psych eval you have to provide your weight and diet history. I am a typical yo yo dieter and have been since I was a teenager. When I recieved my DENIAL letter from my insurance company the reasons given for the denial were (1) My high blood pressure is considered controlled with medications and (2) I have not been over the 35 BMI weight for the last two consecutive years!! Of course I haven't....that was the whole purpose of this intervention....to stop the yo yo!! Neither of these denial reasons were provided to me up front or I would have never spent the time, vacation days for appts, gas, and money for deductible and co pays that I spent. I tell you all of this not to rag on my insurance company (although I am still livid about this and see it as a great injustice and counter productive to their mission) but to say unless you are at a 40 BMI or above, look carefully at what your co morbidities are and make sure you don't fall into the same insurance trap that I did!! I called the patient coordinator with Dr. Balder and she was, again, very helpful and supportive. She discussed my options including file an appeal with insurance, hire an attorney, or start the process over again in another 6 months to a year. Well, I did not like any of those options soooo, I continued my research, call for consultation, and scheduled an appt for surgery on March 10th to go to Dr. Almanza in Mexico! My only regret is I wish I had all the money I invested in this jorney with Dr. Balder to pay for my surgery in Mexico. Dr. Balder, Tamara, and Desiree are great people to work with and I wish you all the best on your journey! Sorry my post was so long, but I wanted to convey how insurance companies can cost you unnecessary time and money!! Best of Luck to you!!
  7. cssamo
    cssamo
    This upcoming week, I have two appointments. I will do my psych review, and do my PET class at SMS WLC.. My stomach is so nervous about all of it. I have read what others have said about the insurance quagmire. For my psych review, I will be paying 450 dollars from my own pocket, and my insurance "Might" pay back after I send them a request "after"...

I want to get the surgery, but in the back of my mind, I am waiting for someone to tell me that it has all been in vain.

I Need a Crystal Ball!!!!!