Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

fingernails

1. reading mom
    reading mom
    So I had my phone call from the surgery center yesterday. When they were going over everything, there was one thing that surprised me. No nail polish worn to surgery. I just thought I would add this to the list of things to do and know before surgery. Skip that pre surgery manicure.
  2. valdonlon
    valdonlon
    I think it's so they can see if your nail beds turn blue. Lack of oxygen. Even though you'll be hooked up to machines and the anesthesiologist will be monitoring you. That's my best guess anyway. A doctor I am NOT LOL
  3. GoLizzyGo
    GoLizzyGo
    It's also because when they use the pulseox (sp?) gadget on your finger to read your oxygen levels, it can't pick it up through nail polish. Weird, but true
  4. nana banana
    nana banana
    You are correct GoLizzyGo. You would me amazed how many people I've seen show up for surgery with polish on, despite pre-op instructions stating NO polish! OR nurse x15 years.
  5. Sharita
    Sharita
    Yes no nail polish! I had my nails done beautifully, not only did the nurse so carefully remove my French manicure and pedicure, they even cut my nails short! I was not instructed to not wear nail polish! So was a bit surprised! I know better now!
  6. Kelli D
    Kelli D
    Can you leave the acrylic on without the polish? Then after surgery have the polish put on.
  7. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    Oh Sharita - I would have been LIVID and come right up off that table if anyone dared to go near my nails with clippers. WTF???? I have had enough surgeries that I knew it already but I just forgot to do it in my anxiousness of being in Mexico for surgery. My nails are real and I have kept them long - 1/2 inch to 3/4 inches PAST my finger since I was 18 years old. In the past I have had to argue with different people when they want to cut my nails for surgery or they want me to "take them off" um they don't COME OFF. In Mexico I did forget to remove the polish and they started to mess with them til I pitched a fit (they knocked me out real fast to shut me up lol) and when I woke up someone had merely filed the polish off on one nail. Touch my nails and someone will get hurt, guaranteed

2013-09-18130725.jpg Photo by azladyrider1958 | Photobucket

2013-09-18130649.jpg Photo by azladyrider1958 | Photobucket
  8. JoelleH
    JoelleH
    It is a general matter and not related to gastric sleeve surgery only; you are not allowed to have any nailpolish on your fingernails or toes when you're in the operation theatre.
  9. Claudia B
    Claudia B
    I had asked that question and this is the response I received:
    "You do not need to remove any nail polish unless it is black."
    I'll just double check before my date.
  10. disneymad
    disneymad
    It may depend on the hospital/Dr/country. I have had 11 surgeries in the last 5 years at 4 different hospitals, (5 knee, gallbladder, total hysterectomy, tonsils, thyroidectomy, back surgery, shoulder surgery), and I ALWAYS have on solar nails. And they are usually different shades of BLUE! I have NEVER been asked to cut or remove polish. No problems. Had a heart cath Fri and my bright blue nail were admired by all the nurses. So it definitely just depends.
  11. julesdeck
    julesdeck
    I was told to remove my gel nails and all nail polish
  12. Chelan
    Chelan
    great i have gel nails and there is no way to remove the polish
  13. Chelan
    Chelan
    they haven't mentioned it my dr i mean