Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

research

1. Heathersue5
    Heathersue5
    Hi I'm new to the site but am wondering what your guys thoughts are on the best doctors and pricing? Thanks for any and all info!
    Heather
  2. Kindle
    Kindle
    There are a lot of happy Mexico sleevers, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies. Here's my standard plug...Dr. Ariel Ortiz and Dr. Martinez at Obesity Control Center. The main selling points for me when making my decision were....they are both members of the American College of Bariatric Surgeons, OCC is an International Center of Excellence, they do no more than 5 surgeries/day, they don't use a third party medical tourism company, and VSG complication rate is 1/100 of average. After surgery, I realized it was the entire OCC team that made my experience successful....everyone from Carolyn (my preop coordinator) Joel (the driver), the nutritionist, the anesthisiologist, all the nurses, the office manager, Dr. Jimenez (cardiologist), Dr. So (followup doc), and of course both surgeons. You can check out their facility, services and staff on their website or feel free to ask me any questions.
  3. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    Reasesrch, talk to people who have had it done. I chose puerto vallarta, I felt safer there and chose a very experienced dr. My surgery was $6500. Tijuana has experienced dr too and cost are lower. When I was researching on YouTube there were many who were happy with dr Joya so I started rio lotus with his office and felt comfortable going ahead.
  4. LFitz66
    LFitz66
    I'm with Kindle. I chose Dr. Ortiz for the same reasons.
  5. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    My surgeon is Doc is Dr. Elias Ortiz. I haven't had surgery yet but have had 3 friends that went through him and were very happy and the price is very reasonable. Also, I've read quite a few other posts where people were very happy with the surgery and the service.
  6. Heathersue5
    Heathersue5
    How much was doctor ortiz? His website and the fact he doesn't do a lot in one day deffenetly makes him a candidate! Thanks!
  7. amyswisher
    amyswisher
    I am also choosing Dr. Elias Ortiz my advice is to research...don't just pick the first doc you look into. Decide ahead of time what is your top "requirements", then start narrowing down. I personally, like Kindle, wanted a good experience all around....I see so many people that discuss their surgeries in great detail talking about what a good experience it was, but within the same post talk about stuff that I personally wouldn't put up with...even saying things like "well, it got the job done". There are soooo many really good surgeons down there, and the cost usually is between $4200-$6500. There are many that are less than $5000. Good luck with your search!!
  8. DebbieD
    DebbieD
    I chose Dr. Ramos-Kelly. Some of my criteria were-spoke excellent English : ) , worked in a hospital, few surgeries a day, lots of experience! Dr. Kelly was actually born and trained in the US, was an emergency room Dr. I believe served as a military Dr. Very happy with him. I scheduled through his office and not a middle man. Paid $5200 last year. Excellant care.
  9. Kindle
    Kindle
    For cost at OCC, just call or email them. They were very low pressure and I never got unsolicited phone calls from them. I asked dozens of questions over a couple months before actually booking with them and was never bullied into setting a surgery date or sending a deposit. I spent a total of about $7000 on surgery, plane tickets, and four nights at the Marriott for myself and my sister. There are cheaper options in Mexico, but none I felt OK with "settling" for.
  10. connie3
    connie3
    I'm going to the Jerusalem hospital with Dr. Curiel. The hospital picks you up in San Diego and takes you there. Heard good things. The cost is 3750.00. Interested in anyone else from this site that has gone there.
  11. Kindle
    Kindle
    Connie, there is a lot of posts about Jeruselum hospital on this and other forums. Dr. Almanza used to practice there. Almost all of his negative reviews came from Issues with the facility, including staff that didn't speak English, unsanitary practices (not wearing gloves/washing hands), too many surgeries, mixed up records, post op incision infections, etc. The original owner of Jeruselum recently died, so things may have changed, but I would try and find patients that have been there in the last month or two for an update on how things are going. Don't mean to scare you off and I know nothing about Dr. Curiel, it's just that place put up a huge red flag for me when I was researching for my surgery.
  12. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    I LOVED Dr. Elias Ortiz and Alighterme!! His pricing was reasonable, his surgery was awesome-- my scars are tiny and my friend who had his surgery 1 week prior to me, here in the states, has much bigger scars, and just isn't doing as well! From the moment you book with them, they are in contact with you and when you land, they're there to pick you up from the airport and there at you beckon call for anything you need...ANY time. The driver, Abraham, even dropped my husband off at the VIP movie theatre (yes, I was feeling that well!)-- They turned surgery into a mini-vacation, and I think that says a LOT!
  13. dyberrah
    dyberrah
    I chose Dr. Cabrera with the Mexico Bariatric Centre - fantastic experience, amazing care, excellent coordinator and post-op info and access to the doctor and nutritionist. Mexico is a centre of excellence for Bariatric Surgery, but there will always be the lower quality providers. So you're doing the right thing by researching and asking your questions. PM me if you would like more info on MBC. Good luck on your journey
  14. stacya1971
    stacya1971
    I chose Dr. Q in Tijuana for around 4500. The clinic was small, but I was very satisfied with my doctor, nurses, and everyone else. I just had surgery on 4/8 and I feel like a million bucks. Highly recommended.
  15. Heathersue5
    Heathersue5
    My cousin and 2nd cousin went to dr q and loved him!! I'm thinking maybe him but wanted to do more research on who else was out there and what happens beforr and afyer the surgury for eating habits I have a manual job as a bay supervisor changing tires and changing oil so I'm also worried about weight restrictions etc. But I most likely I find out tomorrow have to have surgery on my ankle so was thinking it best to do it while I'm out with that?
  16. mwaller81
    mwaller81
    Connie3, I am going to Jerusalem Hospital as well.
  17. Speeder
    Speeder
    I was going to Jerusalem Hospital until my coordinator gave me the option to go to Florence Hospital. I did go ahead and switch facilities mainly because I am traveling alone and their motel is also located on the hospitals 4th floor. I like the fact of going and staying in one place which happens to also be a hospital instead of a clinic setting. Now just waiting on May 30th.
  18. Bill 59101
    Bill 59101
    My surgery is June 24th, after a lot of research and contacting various coordinators I decided to go via A Lighter Me and Dr. Ortiz. My phone conversations were great and I have even chatted with Dr. Ortiz and the driver Abraham on facebook. From what I understand some places have various things that have to be paid for out of pocket such as medicaton where A Lighter Me includes everything. I may be wrong on this so others may be able to offer more insight
  19. Jphat
    Jphat
    I had my surgery in Feb at MiDoctor Hospital. Call 1 800 969 1654 and ask to speak to Sammy Tepperman, he is the owner and a DR of the hospital. He is really good on coordinating everything for you. Dr Cabrera was the doctor who did my surgery and let me tell you, IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!! Good Luck!!!