Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

What is a "reasonable" goal?

1. jolieslp
    jolieslp
    I started this journey at 385, (Ugh!), but I am down to 340-345 now. Pre-op diet/liquids hasn't started yet, so I think I will get down some more. But how do I know what kind of goal to set for myself? Ideally - I would weigh 150. But that is A LOT of weight. And while I am hopeful, I just don't know if it is realistic for me. I know I will set short-term goals in smaller increments, any advice on long-term goals?
  2. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    I don't know either! I started at 319 and am down to 240. I am taking it into 25 lbs increments. Ideally I should wiegh under 150 - but that just seems unimaginable to me - but honestly so did 240. I am thinking somewhere in the 160's (still sounds far fetched to me) sounds more reasonable than 150 - but then who knows! I have made 150 my "goal" but I am not going to make reaching that a point of stress for myself or how I judge this to be successful. If I never reach 150 I am okay with that - I already feel so much better than I did!
  3. shemarie
    shemarie
    336 was my highest weight, my doctor would like me to be at 151...it is a mind boggling thought. I am just working hard, I have gotten to the 2 somethings which feels really good.
  4. Cindarelli
    Cindarelli
    Rely on your doctor to set a goal for you initially. You'll be surprised how fast the weight comes off after surgery, and that will motivate you. Once you've had the surgery and you're back to a full diet again, your body will eventually let you know what a reasonable weight is!
  5. jolieslp
    jolieslp
    Thank you all!
  6. mamb0831
    mamb0831
    I think a "Reasonable Goal" is relative to several factors: i.e. starting weight, height, age, race, body type.... etc. I started at 312lbs and my goal weight is 185lbs. My Doctor and some others don't agree with that number. If you look on the standard weight/height ratio chart for my height of 5-4" I should weigh no more than 149lbs, but for me that is too small. I don't want to look "Bony" but I don't want to be obease any longer either. Do a Self check after every major weight loss goal. Ask yourself how do you feel, how do you look to yourself (Not anyone else's image of you) Decide if you want to lose more weight for yourself at that time.
  7. Leanng
    Leanng
    My start weight was 309 and I gave myself a goal of 150, based on nothing. When my PCP asked what my goal was he told me that was too low, he thought I should aim for 170 due to my age (58). He said that 170 would be a healthy weight. I've decided that I would aim for 170, and see how it feels and how much work it will be to continue loosing. I know that the last 20 pounds have sure come off slower than the first 20 pounds. I think my body will tell me if going below 170 is or isn't a good idea.
    Best of luck to us all as we head to our goals, wherever they are.
  8. Dair67
    Dair67
    My opinion is not to focus too much on the numbers on the scale! Focus on eating healthy with a decent amount of exercise and the rest will take care of itself! Your body will let you know when you are at the right weight! If we focus too hard on the numbers, we set ourselves up for failure and disappointment if we don't get there. I also believe that the medical opinion of the ideal weight or bmi are unrealistic.
  9. ncubed03
    ncubed03
    I started at 310 and the first 50 lbs came off pretty quickly but now I am afraid that it will stop or that I will stretch out my stomach again or something. I guess it is still so hard to believe that it can really work and that I could conceivably reach my goal of 165 that I set myself because it seemed reasonable. However, it doesn't seem real or like that goal is a dream. I haven't been below 200 since I was a teenager and I simply still can't imagine getting to Onederland let alone 165. I'm still early in the journey but I do appreciate all the support and motivation on this forum. Keep up the good work!
  10. HGfromOmaha
    HGfromOmaha
    I felt my best at 210 when I was on active duty in the Marine Corps. I had a 17" neck and a 33" waist. I was averaging between 9 & 11% body fat but I was also in my 20's. My goal is to get back to that Marine Corps weight but not much below that. I'm going to let my life dictate my weight and not my weight dictate my life.
  11. Think
    Think
    I plucked the number based on a high school weight, lol!

Its a weight I have been at before, know I look good at it and that it was a realistic and attainable number. I am 16 pounds from there, and no longer am overweight or obese on the BMI chart! At this point I am at a nice weight, but still am working at these few last vanity pounds. As I continue to firm things up I may re-evaluate my decision and change the number, but right now its a pretty firm goal I am 5' 3.5" and am in my mid-40's.. I am ok with a little cushion/padding and do not want to be skin/bones. Will see when I get there!
  12. Jeepgirl
    Jeepgirl
    I started at 378 my goal is to be healthy and comfortable in my own skin. I am a good person and I like me just wish there wasn't so much of me! :-)
  13. Stf317
    Stf317
    I started at 374 and at 345 right now with a goal of 225-215,my doc said I can make it to 200.
  14. Emmers1974
    Emmers1974
    Still waiting to set surgery date, my next appt is in a few weeks! I started my journey at 348, I'm currently 339 (I won't weigh myself pre-surgery) and my goal is 210...but I'd be okay with 200. I'm 5'10 and big boned so anything under that and I'd look like a skeleton-I am laughing as I type this b/c I've never been a skeleton!
  15. cmharders
    cmharders
    My highest weight was 470...I was existing, not living. I am now down by 110 pounds and am loving my sleeve! Can only get better from here. I'm 5'4 so the charts say I should be no more than 140 but I cannot fathom being THAT small. My personal goal at this time is 200. When I reach that goal I'll re-evaluate and set a new goal if I feel I need to. I'm not relying on the numbers 100%...more like how I feel in my own skin again!
  16. SHELLE
    SHELLE
    The day of surgery I weighed 336. Today almost 14 months later I weigh 203. My goal was 220 pounds. Now my goal is 185 pounds. My doctor said he wanted me at 170 pounds. That will be too small for me.