Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Insurance in Mexico

1. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    When travelling to Mexico for surgery, most insurance companies will not cover you if you experience any complications. The emergency medical travel benefit is for unforeseen emergencies and a complication from a planned surgery isn't considered unforeseen. The Mexican hospital will treat you, if you can pay for it yourself.

Why I am posting this is because I have seen a few people on this forum experience complications and talk about there being no coverage. I searched the internet for Surgical Tourism Insurance and found a couple of companies that specialize in this type of insurance. So for a few hundred (my quote was $318) it gives me a little extra piece of mind for my surgery. This coverage pays for my additional surgical costs and my return flight if I need to cancel my original. Now I still have to front the money for service and my plane ticket, but will be reimbursed when I return home.

No I don't work for this company but just thought I would share.

Cheers
  2. Speeder
    Speeder
    I booked through Medical Tourism and I have the option to purchase two different insurance plans. One is for $150 and it covers any complications after surgery and before I head home. The other is for $300 and it covers complications up to 3 months following surgery. The catch is, I have to come back to the facility that completed my surgery. BTW, the second plan also covers travel expenses. I think I will be purchasing the second plan for a piece of mind.
  3. Luann
    Luann
    I got a policy through global protective solutions that offers different amounts of coverage for different cost. Covers complication that occurs during 6 months from the surgery date. If you need to return to Mexico for the treatment, they will cover trip costs. Even for a companion, if you bought the original policy with companion specified. But it also covers treatment done in the US, which if you got home & were terribly ill - would really be important.
  4. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    Just like Luann I purchased a global protection policy. Coverinf complications 6 months. My pcp said that was great because if u are going to have a problem, they happen early on. Gave me peace of mind. Cost relative to amount of coverage u desire.
  5. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    I too am going through Global Protection. Glad too see you are covering you bases.
  6. Luann
    Luann
    Smart choice. If you have a complication, it can range from minor to life threatening. I had to travel quite a distance to get to Mexico & there's no way I could hop back on a plane if I was really sick to be treated in Mexico. To say nothing of the fact wild horses couldn't drag me back to Mi Doctor, certainly not if I was terribly ill.
  7. Lovelyladylasvegas
    Lovelyladylasvegas
    I called a medical tourism insurance company called Global Protective Solutions today and got a quote from them. This company allows you to see a physician in the US for complications and costs $318 for $50,000 of coverage. This company is very misleading with their $50,000 of coverage. If you read the breakdown of coverage, it only includes $5,000 for medical/surgical complications. And we all know that doesn't get you much within the US health care system. The plan offers other things like loss of repoductive function, included life insurance, returning of your body to the US should you die where you're having the procedure, etc. but the thing we all really need is only covered at $5,000. The man I spoke with on the phone encouraged me to request a quote on-line with $30,000 of coverage for complications. I did that so I will see what they say. Just wanted to share.
  8. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    I looked at them too but ended up going with Novamar (I used Global Health Insurance brokerage). Coverage is $160,000 for complications, they pay directly to the hospital if needed and the cost was only $208.
  9. starlite2
    starlite2
    So if I have the surgery in Mexico and I have complications when I return home my insurance wont cover a doctor or hospital visit? If that's the case that is really scary?
  10. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    Starlite -- your insurance at home may cover and best to check with them. It is more if you are having complications in Mexico, since you are self paying for the service, you would be required to pay for any treatment received for complications as well.
  11. amyswisher
    amyswisher
    Rknrbn, where can I find info on Novamar?
  12. Rknrbn
    Rknrbn
    Google Novamar Medical Tourism and it will take you to their website.
  13. DebbieD
    DebbieD
    That is good advice! I didn't even check into insurance nor whether my "home insurance" would cover problems. My first thought was I'm not going to let anything keep me from having this surgery I'll deal with problems if they come. Thankfully no problems at all!
  14. crystalrath
    crystalrath
    Thank you everyone for sharing this information. I will be checking into my home insurance. And some of these suggestions if they aren't covered.