Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Question about insulin after surgery?

1. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    I had my sleeve done on July 3rd. I am still taking my insulin not as much as before. I have been on insulin for many years Type !!. The Dr and nurses say that it might take a while to adjust but eventually as I loose the weight I will be able to get off...I am hoping so...I did this mainly for my diabetes...Has anyone had the same issues...

Thanks Joan
  2. judge52
    judge52
    I haven,t had the surgery yet. Hopefully mid Aug or Sept. I am also a type 2 diabetic on the pump and insulin dependent fot 21 yrs. I have been advised by my endo that I may be able to come off the pump but may need the pills for my diabetes. But may come off altogether. Different bodies react differently to the surgery and loss of weight, but any reduction in any of my meds would make the surgery well worth it to me.
    Best Wishs
    Judge52
  3. dshyre1047
    dshyre1047
    I was on insulin and now I am not but still take oral medication for the diabetes . I have a whole other problem. I had lapbamd for five years. I lost 120 lbs. 3 years ago it stopped working and I was throwing up whatever I ate. The doctors wouldn't filly band . I started gaining weight . I had the gastric sleeve done April 8 . I have continued to gain more than 1/2 the weight back , I have told my body thinks I am starving it so it holds onto every calorie . I was hungry every 3 hrs. It has been a nightmare.My Endocrinologist just putr on a new med to cut appetite and rising sugars after I eat but not insulin . I take this shot before each meal. Just started yesterday so we will see. I pray it works
  4. chobbs77562
    chobbs77562
    Hello everyone. I am also hoping to decrease or get off my insulin and some of the other meds I am on. My surgery is on 8/26, I am so excited about it. I am having this done for healthreasons, I am just tired of feeling tired.
  5. Gaileen
    Gaileen
    I too, am here for health reasons. Had my surgery 9-10-13. Only 10 lbs gone and no difference in sugars. Everyone tells me I;m being too hard on myself. Guess I thought it would happen faster.
  6. Gaileen
    Gaileen
    I'm three months out now; down to 20u Lantus a day. AIC is down from 11.9 to 8.9!! It will take time,my doc says, but I can see and feel great improvement,
  7. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    my endo doesn't know that im going to be possibly getting the sleeve but I do know that my insulin will be cut eventually. I have thyroid issues as well. My endo doesn't believe in weight loss surgery just diet and exercise and nothing else and nothing in moderation. She doesn't allow you to eat popcorn anything with sugar just protein, fruits and veggies and that's it. She is old school. When I did the Advocare Herbal cleanse to start this journey I did weigh less and she was at least all for me eating every 2 hrs as it leveled out my sugar levels. Im on 30 units of Lantus in the AM and 50units in the evening in addition to 15units plus sliding scale of Humalog. plus I take glumetza which is a enteric coded Metformin since my stomach cant tolerate regular metformin
  8. Neverbeenthin73
    Neverbeenthin73
    I'm having my first consultation on January 14th. I see my endo on the 6th. Hope she's on board with my decision. I'm currently on 120 units of Humalog per day and occasionally have to bolus 25 units. I am so tired of being overweight - can't put on my own boots or bra. Can't walk short distances without needing my inhaler. I'm also tired of using my sleep apnea machine every night just to be certain I wake up in the morning. My reasons are all health related. Being smaller is a by product to saving my life.
  9. Seja
    Seja
    I am also diabetic. My meds and insulin pump were all stopped 2 hrs before surgery on 9/25. Have not taken any meds since. Eat very low carbs. Exercise daily. Sugars are not quite as low as I would like but are acceptable. No A1C since as I lost my insurance in Dec. I also have not lost as much weight as I think I should. However, I am thrilled to be off the pump. Going on a cruise & looking forward to not having to get out of the water after only 1 hour! Surgery was the best treatment for diabetes there was for me (I've been on everything). Very happy about it.
  10. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    I started my pre op diet and I had an appt with my endo on the same day as my pre op teaching which was 2-20-14 so she adjusted my insulin for my pre op diet as well as my oral meds. Its been pretty rough since ive had nausea with the diet so far but I have surgery on 2-26 so it will be worth it in the end
  11. taisha
    taisha
    Hi everyone i'm a diabetic i take two types of insulin victoza in the morning and levemir before bed. i have not had my surgery yet i'm waiting for the insurance to go through. two moths ago i was changed to victoza and changed my snack food i lost 33 pounds my a1c was 19(2months ago) this month it was 6.6 my endo doc said she is really pround of me and if i lose more i will get off either one or both. that's why i need this surgery for health reasons i have other conditions as well.
  12. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    I was on humulin n, Humalog and metformin. After surgery im only on the Humalog sliding scale with meals and metformin. So far my blood sugars are where they should be before surgery my A1c was 11 and now it went down to 8.0 Im hoping to get off the meds completely.