Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Pre Op liquid diet - any cheaters?

1. BetsyP
    BetsyP
    I'm on day three of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I've had a few saltine crackers and I'm wondering how bad that is. I was feeling like my blood sugar was dropping and that I needed some carbs. Anyone else having this problem?
  2. nori21grl
    nori21grl
    I don't have surgery until the 31st but i only have to do 3 days. Good luck
  3. chubby1976
    chubby1976
    I had my surgery on Wednesday 3/5, I stuck to my liquid phase for 2 weeks BUT, I had a function at The Plaza in NYC on the Sunday before my surgery, I didn't over eat but I ate much healthier than normally. I went right back to my liquid diet and still lost 16 pounds before my surgery and my md said that my liver "looked great". I am 3 days post op and feel great best of luck with yours!!!!!
  4. rachelaguilar09
    rachelaguilar09
    Ok, so I'm gonna confess. I am required to start pre op on the 12th, but I "thought" I'd be able to do a 10 day pre op!, Ughhh ya, that didn't happen! Haha. I have Surgery on the 17th.
  5. CookieHead
    CookieHead
    I better not cheat. I only have to do 3 days. It's not til end of month, but ppl assigned to a week or two are inspiring!
  6. Romaniangel
    Romaniangel
    I had my surgery on the first and cheated once, and it wAs right before I started my liquid diet. But when I was at the resturant I made much healthier choices, my dr told me my surgery went quick cause I stuck to my diet, he didn't know otherwise, I dont think it will hurt you.
  7. rose pedle
    rose pedle
    Hi I had 10 day pre op and I didn't cheat but I very sick so call Mexico told them what was going on .nurse advised me that I was aloud 2ozs plain chicken with 1/2 salad . This was great .i believe don't be scared to call them and tell but if not only have fish or chicken not starches. I lost 13 lbs in that 10 pre op
  8. absherkathy
    absherkathy
    Today is day one of my pre- op diet i have 14 days to go and already this morning having a hard time. I am a big breakfast eater. I am wondering if I want to cheat now how will i do after the surgery really concerned.
  9. newclear
    newclear
    I definitely didn't stick to a pure liquid pre-op diet, mostly due to my long days and physical activity right before my surgery; however, I must say that when I "cheated", they were not crazy cheats. Nothing was fried or unnatural. I found 1 cup whole milk to be a satiating than skim, but I had a rigid rule that 1 cup per day is the max. As for the 2 salads I had, I removed the croutons and most of the meat (as it's usually processed/preserved). I made sure to select salads that does not have nuts or fruits. Cheese and dressing came on the side, which I limited to 1 tsp of each and asked the wait staff to remove from before me right away. Another cheat was a crave for Doritos. This may sound crazy/gross, but I licked 6 chips which got me over the crave and I think prevented me from going on a doritos binge later. Final cheat is the 4 skinny cows I had over the 2 week period.

Starting weight for pre-op diet was 229 lbs. Pre-op weight was 217 lbs. With all my "cheats" and a minimum of 400 cal workout 5x per week and an already hectic schedule, I still lost more than 5% my body weight. I'm not encouraging deviation from prescribed diet, but it takes a lot of will-power for people with problems, if not addictions to food to stick to often bland/mundane diets for 14 days. What I will say is this - if you do cheat, make reasonable decisions and understand what's in what you're consuming and don't over do it. A saltine won't kill you for sure, but considering it's pure carbohydrates and little other beneficial nutrient, not really the best cheat product. Identify a healthier fall back item if your blood sugar is an issue. Good luck with your surgery!
  10. LFerris
    LFerris
    My surgeon says that we are to have under 100 grams of carbs per day, 90-120 grams of protein, and try for 1300 calories. They also gave me a whole page of items that I can eat while on this liquid diet (non-starchy vegetables) as well as 1/4 cup of nuts or 2 measured tablespoons of peanut butter each day. They also said I could cheat one day each week and have grilled meat, fish or turkey with the vegetables. If you keep the carbs down to under 100 for the majority of the time, I think you should probably be safe. If you are having issues due to blood sugar on this plan, contact your PCP or surgeons office for direction. i am sure there is something they can do to help and to make you feel better.
  11. Robinsnest
    Robinsnest
    I started on Monday, 3/17. I am doing ok. I had a handful of nuts last night. I keep getting a slight headached, but I am down 5 pounds since monday. My surgery is March 28th. I am trying to stat with it...Change that...I am going to stay with it,
    Mary
  12. KCWB
    KCWB
    I'm almost through with my 2 week ALL liquid pre-op diet. Believe it or not, it really does get easier the farther along you get. In my pre-op paperwork, my dr said to drink a G2 (low cal Gatorade) if you felt like your blood sugar was dropping. I lost 10 pounds the first week, but I've only lost 2 this week. I've already decided that I'm going to have to ask my husband to put the scale up someplace high and only get them down for me once a week!
  13. jennp1226
    jennp1226
    I have cheated, I confess. Does this mean I will try to cheat after surgery? I hope not. I just take one day at a time.
  14. LFerris
    LFerris
    My surgeon has me on the 2 week "liquid diet" (today is day 5) and before I started, I had mentally prepared myself to have nothing but liquids for the entire 2 weeks. On the first day, I was required to attend a dietary class to go over the 2 week period and what to expect post-op. There they gave us a list of items that we can actually EAT while on this diet. All non-starchy vegatables. And they told us we were allowed one "cheat" day for each of the weeks where we could have 3-4 ounces of grilled chicken, fish or turkey with our steamed or raw vegetables. Also if we were struggling, to add 1/4 cup of nuts or 2 MEASURED tablespoons of peanut butter each day. This has allowed me to stay on the diet and not cheat. Although, my BF sat at the table last night and had chinese food while I had steamed spinach and a protein shake. It was hard, but I know the outcome will far outweigh the short term.
  15. pdotmullen
    pdotmullen
    I'm going to be totally honest. I was told I had to be on a 10 day liquid diet. I did ok for the first two days, but then had a total meltdown, fell victim to the "last supper symdrome" and stuffed my face the rest of the time up until the day before surgery. I didn't lose any weight and when I spoke with my doctor after the surgery, he told me everything went well, with no issues. I was sleeved two weeks ago and have lost 34 lbs since the day of surgery. I have been following my post-op diet, never strayed, and it has been relatively easy. I have no desire to eat unhealthy, I haven't been tempted, and in fact, the thought of eating something bad makes me sick. The hunger just doesn't excist anymore for me now that I'm sleeved.

I'm not condoning cheating on the pre-op diet, I'm just telling what happened to me. We're all human, and if you cheat, just pick yourself right up and keep going. Think about how beneficial it will be for when you get your surgery. Good luck to everyone
  16. Snowflake
    Snowflake
    I'm on day 8, so far I haven't cheated.
  17. briannaababyy
    briannaababyy
    For pre-op I only had to do clear liquid diet for the day before surgery but then also the day of (the night after my surgery was done) and 4 days post-op.
  18. billieromany
    billieromany
    I had 4 crackers with my chicken broth yesterday but I think it's more cause my mouth wants to chew lol. I've been on strictly broth jello or protein water. I can say I'm feeling great I know I have lost weight in the last 3 days. Can't wait to be sleeved