Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Question about the "non famous" bariatric surgeons in Mexico?

1. hanna90
    hanna90
    So I've been extensively researching day and night (pretty much obsessively) trying to find the right surgeon. Anyways, I was curious about where the people in Mexico go to have their surgery, so I did a quick search for "manga gastrica" which is Spanish for gastric sleeve, and a whole new group of doctors and hospitals pop up with little to no mention of Almanza, Ortiz, Ramos-Kelly, etc. (except for the paid-for ads which appear at the top separate from the google search). But it's still the same price (64,000 pesos which equates to a little less than $5,000). I'm just curious... if these are "world renowned" surgeons, why aren't they used by the people who actually live there? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to make sure I'm not falling into a tourist trap with illegitimate doctors.
  2. HeathierMe
    HeathierMe
    I never thought of it that way. I can tell you my experience. I was just sleeved on March 21st and Mi Doctor, through a LighterMe and my surgeon was Doctor Elias Ortiz and Doctor Morales. I know 4 people personally who had their sleeve done by these surgeons and at this clinic. 60% of their clients are apparently Canadian, 35% American and the balance of 5% from other countries like Australia, UK, Asia. I had a great experience. Everything was very legitimate and I even came home with my labs from my blood work and the recording via disc of my barium test for leakage post op that I can take to my own doctor. The hospital was spotless, the nurses were in my room every 4 hours like clockwork post op and if you needed them they came no problem. The hospital had about 10 rooms on the one floor with 3 nursing staff and an onsite doctor. Dr. Ortiz visited 3 times. I did a lot of thinking too.. believe me .. I have a 2 year old and 4 year old at home so this was a BIG decision. I choose Mexico because I knew people who had this exact surgeon at this exact facility AND Dr. Ortiz only specializes in Bariatric surgery - has performed over 4,0000 sleeve surgeries (which is what I had) and he also consults as a guest speaker and advisor to the Board of Bariatric surgeons in California. I felt I was in good hands. It's a personal choice for sure. Good luck with your decision.
  3. dyberrah
    dyberrah
    Considering the vast number of people on here who have had sleeves with Almanza, Ortiz, Lopez, Cabrera, Ramos-Kelly, etc - do you really think any of THEM are illegitimate doctors?? They chose to go into the medical tourism industry. Their client base is extra-Mexican. The other doctors chose to practice on local patients. Simple.
  4. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    Hi hun. I didn't do the Spanish version inquiry but did obsess in researching my doctor. I looked for any negative feedback posts n information . attributed to his or his wife's name and reputation couldnt find anything to cause concern. You will find many great doctors. Differences on the facility they practice in and number of surgeries done per day. Some vary in length of stay at hospital or how long the drain stays in etc. I wouldn't change a thing. My experience was worth every penny and I'm down 41 lbs as of today including pre diet. Good hunting .. use your gut read review and purchase medical tourism insurancefor peace of mind.
  5. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    I was sleeved feb 5 by alighterme and dr. elias ortiz. He did a fantastic job...worth every penny. My friend was recently sleeved here in the states and my scars are TINY in comparison. I am extremely happy with my decision.
  6. LivelyTerry
    LivelyTerry
    I went to Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras across from Eagle Pass, Texas. He is considered a "world renowned" surgeon and has done thousands of sleeves…I met several locals there who had surgery with him (people from Mexico), and that was just while I was there. If you go to his youtube channel, (endobariatric), I think he has several videos of referrals from patients, both from mexico, the U.S., and Canada.
  7. hanna90
    hanna90
    Dyberrah, I don't think that any of them are illegitimate doctors, but it would be foolish to take everything at face value and not ask important questions. Especially when there are claims that Almanza only had to pay a fee to become board certified, which may or may not be true. I clearly see that many people on here have used him as well as other Mexico doctors with no complications. I didn't realize that those doctors are exclusive to tourists only, so thanks for answering my question.

Thanks everyone for the all the recommendations for Elias Ortiz, I was leaning towards him in the beginning and kind of forgot about him, but now I just may end up going with him since it seems so many have had positive experiences.

LivelyTerry, He and Dr. Aceves were my top choices, but they cost nearly twice as much as the others
  8. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    I was like you concerned about education, experience, quality and cleanliness. I researched long and hard and went with Dr Joya in puerto Vallarta, I personally didn't like the idea of going to Tijuana or getting the lowest price, my preference from learning the ins and out of construction business, don't go with the lowest or the highest was my experience. I was also travelling with my 70 year old mom and I did'not want her out and about alone in an area I had heard bad things about. This is all ignorance and not from experience just what I felt, tons of people have had it done Tijuana safely. Dr Joya had done over 1500 sleeves with a huge range of BMI and PV is known to be safe. His surgery cost me $6,500,lhotel Included. My mom and I laid on the beach while I healed and she stayed at hotel while I was at hospital, our choice she could have stayed in hospital with me. I live in Vancouver Canada and I found the service, skill and cleanliness to be too notch which seems consistent from all Mexico sleeves, it seems well monitored. I loved the freedom of just booking and going rather than jumping thru hoops and dealing with canadian waitlists of 4+ years.