Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Things to know before your surgery and things to take with you to the hospital

1. trhaye3
    trhaye3
    Hi Gastric sleeve family,

I check out youtube too and I saw a couple of very interesting videos that I thought had very good tips I had not heard here. Chime in you gastric sleeved ones. What do you think? Take to the hospital your own pillow with a non white pillow case to help with being comfortable in the hospital, for the ride home from the hospital to protect you from the seatbelt via car or plane on the way home and leave it in the car to use until the incisions heal. The color of the pillow case will help you not leave it in the hotel room or hospital room. Take lip balm, your mouth will get very,very dry. Water and or G2
    (Gator aid) the clear kind helps tremendiously with the dry mouth when the water and ice chips were not enough. The little mouth swabs are very helpful for the dry mouth, they are sticks with sponges on the ends and you dip it in water or whatever liquid to moisten your mouth. Breath spray, Binaca, something for bad breath because they just finished working on your stomach and whatever the healing process may be smelly, blood etc and you will need some help with that. Whatever you do you will avoid all kind of difficulties if you drink the fluids whatever they tell you because you will get very weak without the fluids. Just do it even if you don't want to drink, at least sip and sip and get it in or you will feel very weak. Don't stockpile, you tastes will change and what you liked before the sleeve you may hate after so don't spend too much money on product before you have your procedure trying to be prepared. I have heard that one here and this one. We have all heard walk, walk, walk. This is 3 fold, sleeve, excercise,diet plan. One without the other leads to decreased weight loss. I hope this post bring some more suggestions for us who have not gotten the sleeve yet.
  2. trhaye3
    trhaye3
    I forgot one other item, Gas-x thin strips don't leave home without them. They just melt on the tongue, no water needed, worked great for her. She did not say a strength or flavor. Just google it.
  3. tracke38
    tracke38
    That is my next purchase. I have read that many say not to stockpile (too late). I have purchased many brands & types of protein. I can't worry if I will like the things that I have purchased (if I don't like it, too bad, I'll just finish it & not buy it again). I also like the Medicated Chapstick for the lip dryness. Let's continue to reach out and share what we will be needing. I plan to start to toss things into my overnight bag so that I don't forget anything. Thanks trhaye3, good looking out!
  4. a2twinsnanny
    a2twinsnanny
    Hey TRHAYE3 I think I saw the video that you are referring to from 1GorgeousGodzilla on youtube, I follow her and love her personality and openness. I'm not sure if I would be willing to do my own youtube channel sharing my weight loss journey, though I know it helps others I might be too concerned someone that I know will see it and judge me... my personal issues.
    Now here is a list from a friend who recently got her sleeve these can be added in addition to all of your great tips

Loose Fitting Clothes (wore them there and then home)

Slippers

Cell Phone & Charger

Ear plugs (Didn't use because I had private room O YEAH!!!)

Heating Pad (MUST HAVE FOR GAS RELIEF)

Toothbrush / Paste

Chapstick (Used ALOT)

Deodorant

An extension cord for your laptop or ipad (since Most hospitals were built before we were hooked up to all of these electronics. Therefore, plugs for laptops or phone chargers are too far away or awkward to reach from your hospital bed)

Front snap bras or sports bras because it is hard to put your back snap bras on and don't want the girls flying when you are trying to walk, walk, walk
  5. trhaye3
    trhaye3
    OMGoodness I did not even think about a long cord for my laptop. Slip on shoes are a must. Sports bras are all I wear now anyway so that is a done deal. Hard to bend all the way over now to put on buckle or tie up shoes. Might be almost impossible just after surgery. Thanks, I think instead of just buying stuff and putting it away I will start my overnight bag, then I know everything will be in the bag. Great idea. So exciting!!
    Talk to you all later. Got to do my hair for work tomorrow. So I may not be back on tonight. Have a great night.
  6. Robinsnest
    Robinsnest
    Where do you getmthese infamous MOUTH SWABS!!!!
  7. Bevstaar
    Bevstaar
    Thanks for the info on front closure bra, I didn't think about the logistics of trying to close the back snap.
  8. Travelqt62
    Travelqt62
    Good evening. I am waiting for the final approval from my insurance company. Hopefully I will be scheduled for surgery by the end of April. Dr. Minkin is my surgeon.