Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

food feeking stuck

1. lbweatherby
    lbweatherby
    I am three weeks today since surgery. I have been on pureed foods for 3 days. If it isn't near liquid I feel like everything is getting stuck at the top of the opening or in the pouch. It is uncomfortable. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
  2. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    Are you eating really slowly. When I moved to pureed foods I felt a kind of restriction - because the texture is thicker, you have to take it in more slowly. Also, what kind of food are pureeing? I found beans really easy to take but things such as tuna or salmon were much harder.
  3. lbweatherby
    lbweatherby
    Mostly different kinds of meats, I really am craving proteins.
  4. dizneeanna
    dizneeanna
    This is not unusual. You just had major surgery and there is a good chance that your esophagus is still swollen. I have the same issue so I continued with cream soups and things I could tolerate longer. I also take about 30 to 45 minutes for each meal and chew each bite at least 20 times or until it feels soupy enough to swallow. Don't rush yourself. If you feel the bite is still too large don't swallow it hope that helps.
  5. Metread
    Metread
    I had the same problem. Chicken breasts are especially dry and hard to swallow. I just kept adding chicken broth to thin it out. Mashed potatoes were hard for me, too. I at a lot of egg drop soup, since it went down so easily.
  6. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    My nut said it's because everything is swollen esophagus and stomach. I did loosen everything down diluted .. even now on soft food I have to be careful. She also said.. no no no beef. Hard to digest. Take your time. Don't rush too many new things. Keep it simple. You will be eating easier in a few short weeks and for the rest of your life. Oh and she also said forget the starches. Theyvexpand in your stomach. No noodles rice or.. mash potatoes.. don't forget no raw veggies at this point either.
  7. natex14
    natex14
    I have had the same issue and even though we aren't supposed to, I take a drink when I need to clear that out. I do my best not to drink and hardly ever do, but when something feels stuck I drink and it really helps.
  8. Deejaycee76
    Deejaycee76
    Pretty bad "trickling down" feeling with food and liquids right after surgery. It does get better....chew, chew, chew, and chew some more! Our stomachs do not absorb the nutrients like they used to. So, not only are we making the food into a more manageable consistency for our tiny stomach, we are absorbing and starting the digestion process right in our mouths now. Another benefit of chewing more than we used to. Try avoid drinking anything while eating. I don't even have a drink next to me while I eat...I've got bad habits that I'm trying to change. Eating very slow is something that has helped me. And I know when I have forgotten to eat slow. It hurts and makes me really nauseous. It's only happened a few times, because I know better.
  9. ybeach
    ybeach
    I've had issues with eating however, I have noticed that if I don't drink 30 mins before/after I eat I feel better.