Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How is everyone doing?

1. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    It's quiet!

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

I am now 8 days post op and feeling better. Yesterday I had lots of energy but today I am tired again but I see that each day gets better. I am getting a little bored with protein shakes and find myself thinking about puree food. I do have a kind of hunger, but it's not what it used to be and when I look at food that others are eating (last night my family had BBQ) I have absolutely no desire to eat it. For a second or two I will appreciate the smell but then I forget about it. It's the strangest thing.

Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck to all those with surgery in the next few days.
  2. StacyD
    StacyD
    ALC I'm 10 days out and have that same thing with one day chock full of energy and the next day pooped out lol. I think as we lose weight and increase out activity level we will eventually catch up and level off on all of them. Our bodies have been through quite a trauma. I wish you much continued healing and feeling good
  3. Jeana
    Jeana
    and I've been battling a cold so it's been very hard but I'm kind of wanting to eat real food on the soft foods are just Boring!Down 30 pounds so doing good! Im ready to see the changes!
  4. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    I'm 2 weeks out as of tomorrow. I have lost complete interest in food. I am barely eating cause I can't stand protein shakes, yogurt or pudding anymore. Most of my days I have good energy and physically forget I've had surgery, I run upstairs etc but then there r days I know I'm having a nap or 2. I can drink water like I use to no prob and am most concerned about possible hair loss. I have found this process incredibly easy and feel I can start eating normally but won't. I had a Thai chicken soup today and I know a few lumps got down but I am fine. What stage are all you at with your diets, when can u go to mush foods?
  5. Neet
    Neet
    I'm four days out and feel ok considering that I am 70 years old! My main problem is the gas rolling around in my abdomen. I am walking, doing the breathing and trying to follow the plan for getting all the fluids and proteins in. Conclusion- Impossible! I have pushed myself too hard, resulting in some reflux and pain. My DIL, who is an NP, had the surgery two years ago. She said the most important part the first few days is getting enough liquids to stay hydrated. I realize that I do need to wait 30 minutes between taking in the fluids and not sip continuously, which I had been doing. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's journey.
  6. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    After all the insurance drama I start my liquid diet today. Ive never been so hungry in my life but trying to determine if its physical or just the mental stuff. I have surgery on wed
  7. Kathysangels
    Kathysangels
    I am 11 days out today - and just to let you know you are not alone in being a senior - I am 61.

Hang in there. I know that protein shakes are awful at this point - but this will end.

My doctor just told me at my post-op check up today that I could finally start the soft food part of my plan - Yes!!!! I have a list of foods that I have been dreaming about - and am anxious to get going on the new part of this plan. I have to tell you on the way home we stopped and I had my first real food in more than a month - I got a little bowl of Pinto beans and cheese from Taco Bell. It tasted like heaven - but I was pleasantly surprised to only be able to eat half of the little bowl before I was totally full. I had heard that this was going to happen - it is good to see that it was true.

The one thing I will do differently in the future is to eat at home where I can use fat free beans, low calorie cheese and I have some yogurt/sour cream that I may add a tsp full to the dish - more healthy beans -calories are 118 and protein is about 7gm. plus 1 oz low fat cheese calories 48, protein 7 grm and 1 tbsp low fat sour cream 20 calories - no protein which is 186 calories and 14 grams of protein. I just checked on the Taco Bell site and for their version it is 190 calories and 11 grams of protein - so I guess if we are eating out this is a good alternative. I am going to try and keep these little notes on the things that I eat so I can keep on track with this new eating plan.

By the way - I found out that I have lost 14 pounds since my surgery and that makes a total of 45 since I started this process at the first of the year. Yes!!! (Which means that all of the awful protein shakes have done their job!)

Hugs,
    Kathy
  8. DJTONSON.COM
    DJTONSON.COM
    Hey guys my name is Jason. I had my sleeve on Tuesday evening and stayed at the Hotel Ticuan. I was with my friend Terry. This was an awesome experience meet so many great people. One thing is I noticed is everyone recovered differently some really well some not so well. I found that the people that walked the most felt the best. After surgery they took us to the hotel. Put my bags in my room and left the hotel to start walking. Tijuana is very different but way cool culture. I didn't feel scared one time. We spent most every day walking the streets looking in shops and talking to locals. You wanna know what I think about the complete experience. Just ask me I will answer any questions u want.
  9. BecBeMe
    BecBeMe
    I'm a bit disheartened by the fact that I still have an appetite and want to eat what my family is eating. It looks so good. I keep reading how folks don't have an appetite and forget to eat. I sure hope this isn't a bad sign for me. I really want this to work for me.

Also, I've been experiencing gurgling when I eat thicker soups. What is that? I can't quite figure out what it's telling me.

On the plus side, I've lost 24 pounds! That's really exciting.
  10. phd
    phd
    Hey! I'm so happy to be a member of this group! I am almost a week post op and can relate to every one of the postings. I am coming to accept that this is a process and to trust in it. Hoping my energy is back as I head into the day tomorrow to my first day back to work.

Blessings to all.
  11. Tammie3656
    Tammie3656
    It's been 6 days since my surgery. Have had horrible reflux ever since. Anyone have any ideas of how I can manage this? And is it going to get better???
  12. DJTONSON.COM
    DJTONSON.COM
    Found online that we are supposed to take liquid antacid to prevent ulcers. I haven't taken any yet but maalox is what they recommend so in the morning i'm gonna go get some because iv'e had reflex too.
  13. lisagus19
    lisagus19
    I am 8 days post op and can only have liquids for 2 weeks. The third week I can start pureed foods. I am absolutely starving and craving food!!! And I still have 5 more days before I can eat anything!
  14. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    Really nice to hear from everyone. I moved to puréed food two days ago. I can only eat a small amount and my energy has dived. I am still doing a protein shake every morning for breakfast but I am wondering if I need to add one in the afternoon as well. Eating two tablespoons of food at a time can hardly be enough protein.

My weight has also stalled - been sitting at the same for five days.

How is everyone else's going?

What does a day of eating look like for everyone?
  15. Parker_KY
    Parker_KY
    My Sleeve was done on 2/17....As of today I am down 20 lbs. BUT.....I notice every restaurant I pass, every commercial is about food! LOL .... I feel like I have some food depression. It's been tough, but I know it's for the best, so I will fight through it. My diabetes was going to take 5-10 years of my life, my A1C was 11.4, sugar was always 300 or so. Now, 140 to 160 without meds, so I still take some Metformin. I hope as my weight comes off, I will no longer need meds. Best of Luck to everyone!
  16. U2girl
    U2girl
    Please someone tell me how to get rid of all this gas I have that seems to be trapped?!! I've tried everything
    Gas X, mylicon drops, squatting on the floor, lying on the floor but nothing helps. My stomach makes the weirdest noise bad I feel like I'm hungry
    I'm told it's not hunger but gas pains
    I'm 10 days post op
    Help!
  17. RobinT
    RobinT
    Tomorrow will be three weeks since my surgery. I've had a bout of dehydration that I was able to take care of without IV hydration. It took seven tries to get two IVs started the morning of surgery so I drank water and G2 like I'd never drink again to avoid that scenario again.

It feels like I've been given a miracle. I came home from hospital with normal blood sugar and completely off my blood pressure medication. My blood pressure is perfect now. I am extremely grateful.

I haven't lost any weight in a week. I thought I'd lost 13 pounds in two weeks but it turns out being severely dehydrated makes it look like you've lost more than you have. Rehydrated, I've lost eight pounds in three weeks. I hope the scale moves this week.

I was able to start soft proteins like scrambled egg, moist chicken, ground beef and tuna on day 15. Drinking has gotten easier each day and I'm up from sips to a mouthful at a time. It's good mentally to be able to eat again. The 12 days of liquid diet before surgery were the worst part of the entire experience. I can now get all of the 1/4 cup of protein in at each meal and sometimes eat a tablespoon of vegetable, too.

I wish the weight was coming off faster but I have no regrets. I know I'll start losing again and it will all be worth it.
  18. karenl3
    karenl3
    5 days post op and I'm working on my water. It's going down better but holy crow I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get that all down. LOL I'm not hungry at all and have started protein shakes today. Yay...that's not going so well. I still need to drink my second one. I'm actually feeling really good but boy can I nap. LOL best thing? I came home. Home is always a most wonderful place to be.
  19. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    Karen - I am also having trouble with the scale not moving. It's making me a little crazy. Like you, I am on purée too, makes a big difference to your mental state. Also able to take larger sips of water and liquid. I'm having trouble getting my protein in. It's impossible to eat it all so am thinking I need to add in one or two shakes a day.
  20. jenn2
    jenn2
    Hi All it is so great to hear everyone is having such a good experience. I was sleeved on the 25th and things seem to be going ok all though I second guess everything. Yesterday was a bit of an experience because I ended up calling an ambulance because I thought I was going to pass out. By the time they got here I was better and didn't actually have to go to the hospital. It was embarrassing! I think I had just got dehydrated! I have lost 21 pounds in a week so I know I am making good progress but I know I am not getting in near enough protein.
  21. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    I got sleeved on 2-26 and despite 5 days in the hospital vs the typical due to kidney function issues im doing good I have a hard time getting my protein in im trying honestly. My bp has been good I have been on my bp meds in the hospital due to my cardiac issues however I have not been on my diabetes meds neither my Humalog or hovolog meds or metformin. I go to my endocrinologist to see if that still stands or not. I had my follow up with my surgeon today and got my staples and tube out and boy it hurt to get that tube out especially the suction but it beats not walking around with a bulb hanging around and I got out of the hospital the day of the big ice snow storm here.
  22. firefly13
    firefly13
    Hello!
    I got sleeved on 2/19/2014; I got my surgery in Venezuela and the diet my doctor provided does not include any protein shakes, which I actually feel I want and need. My week 2 includes creamed soups that include chicken, and the allowed vegetables are potatoes, pumpkin, onions; so I haven't felt I have lost enough weight which is why I Want to start drinking protein shakes instead of the potatoes. On my second week I lost only 2.2 pounds which seems so little. I am hopeful I will start losing more weight in the future weeks. Good luck everyone!
  23. JenMN
    JenMN
    Hi, I got sleeved on 2-3-14 I am down 28lbs since day of surgery after having gained 10 lbs the first week post op from swelling and gas. I have been doing everything I've been told to I am on my 5th week soft foods now was trying new high protein soft foods but find myself revertiing back to only yogurt,cottage cheese,poached eggs and fresh blueberries, bananas, and canned fruit in water, everything else makes me feel ill. I eat 3 times a day no snacks and eat 1/4 cup protein and 1/4 of fruit. I was doing fabulously at 1st I think I chew long enough and eat slow enough but it's getting harder and harder to eat I know I'm not getting in enough protein because of it. And I am having stalls now too I was losing a pound a day now I can go a couple days without losing. And stabbing pains have not gone away in my ribs and left shoulder and I was told by my surgeon it was just gas...but I am over a month out now. I go to see my bariatric doc on Thurs, hoping he will have some answers.
  24. rxtech932002
    rxtech932002
    I was sleeved on 2-26 and im doing well other than gas pain in my shoulder still. I went and bought some cherry gas-x chewables and I had a major non-scale victory. I put on a pair for pants which before surgery they were super tight along with a shirt that my hubby bought at walmart last summer put them on today and they fit comfortably now and loose in the waist some along with the shirt getting baggy. I have to try to weigh every day due to my congestive heart failure. Which I don't like doing cause I know the scale isn't your friend. I was happy, happy, happy as Duck Dynasty would put it im 2 weeks post op and 18 lbs gone, gone gone!!
  25. Bnbdaddy
    Bnbdaddy
    I was sleeved on Feb 20. So far so good. Chips and salsa sure sounds good.
  26. Metread
    Metread
    My date was feb. 7th. I have lost 37lbs since my pre op appointment on the 4th. I only had a 4 day liquid diet prior to surgery. Feeling better since I moved to solid foods.