Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

How much are you eating? Too little, too much? How do we know?

1. Kathysangels
    Kathysangels
    I have somewhat a goofy question. I keep hearing that when people eat they are eating only about 3-4 tbsp. Is that all? If so, then I am overeating. I figure I eat about about 1/4 to 1/3 cup depending on what I am eating - sometimes I eat it all -sometimes not so. I am losing about 1# a day and am not hungry at all - so am I eating too much? So far on soft foods - (and a few not so soft that I really chew) I haven't had anything that has made me sick. The only time I am in trouble is when I drink liquid too fast, or go past my 1/3 cup - then it hurts in the sleeve area until it can go down inside the sleeve. Am I doing OK with this process? I am 3 weeks out tomorrow.
  2. mtnskullrider
    mtnskullrider
    You are doing fantastic! I am gaining and not loosing weight. Just depends in the morning for breakfast I can eat about 1/4 to 1/3 cup if it is soft food. I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and I am on regular food and just depends if I have not eating every 3 hours then I am eating 1/4 to 1/3 cup. If every 3 hours as suggested then it much less. I am excited to hear you are loosing! I am eating the high protein and drinking lots of water. If it is working then stick it to your program.
  3. tina2-18-2014
    tina2-18-2014
    When I was on Creamed soup I was eating about 3 oz and then feeling full...
  4. phd
    phd
    I had surgery on 2/18 so right there with you - same questions. I am learning I've had too much and/or went too fast when I get that uncomfortable feeling in upper chest/esophageal area. With taking in so little, hard to wrap my mind around being g "full
  5. ty36
    ty36
    I eat about 1/4 to about 1/2 a cup
  6. natex14
    natex14
    If it's soup I can eat about 4 ounces over a half hour. If it's something more dense it's much less.
  7. thinmeskreamin
    thinmeskreamin
    Mtnskullrider,
    Surprised you on real food... My instructions specify a wet pureed diet for weeks 3 and 4, progressing to thicker puree after that till transitioning gradually to "real food". Loosing has slowed, but progressing. Here. Not as quick as the 1st 2 weeks.
    That's ok. As long as it comes off.. not over eating.. fluids are my issue, you have to drink to loose faster
  8. Alc2013
    Alc2013
    I can get down about quarter to a half cup. If its think yoghurt or soup, about 3/4 of a cup.

I am tracking it on my fitness pal and it's between 500-600 calories a day

How are you all combining the food and shakes? I'm trying to get in at least 60 grams of protein a day.
  9. Kathysangels
    Kathysangels
    I was taken off the shakes at my first post-op visit with my surgeon and the Dr. is the one who put me on soft foods.
    I still feel like I am doing something wrong. It doesn't take me a half hour to eat the little bit we have - even with tiny bits. But that is ok I think, because I am not hungry.
    Are we supposed to have 500-600 calories a day? I checked through all my paperwork and couldn't find anything showing that amount.
    Is it possible to over eat with the little bit of space we have? I can feel that uncomfortable feeling sometimes after only about 4-5 spoons and I stop.
    This is so much more complicated than I thought it would be. I wish the dietitian had given us specifics of what to do - I don't see her again until the 28th of March. Sigh!
    Kathy
  10. karenl3
    karenl3
    Kathy maybe give the dietitian a call and see if she can talk to you for a few minutes. I bet it will ease your mind a bit to hear what she has to say.
  11. eatpam
    eatpam
    I am still inside my 3 week window. I can have milky creamed soups and some things like yogart. The thinner it is the more I can have of it but it is still slow. About 1/2 cup or so..... things that are thick are maybe 1/3 cup. I have had very blended beans and milk. That seems to be the most filling and yet easy on my stomach.

I think everyone is a little different.
  12. JenMN
    JenMN
    I am at my 5th week out I eat 3 times a day no snacking. I eat a 1/4 cup of a protein and a 1/4 cup of a fruit or a vegetable but if I am full before it's gone I stop but usually I can finish it. I have been losing about a pound a day. Different meals I am eating are a pouched egg and a half piece of toast, greek yogurt and fresh berries or different canned fruits in water, or cottage cheese and fruit, sometimes cream of wheat but I find that to be a little heavy. I have used salad shrimp boiled in lemon with salt and pepper, tuna, salmon, lunch meat turkey roled up-1oz. Apple sauce is great to have with the meats because it gives you that moisture or the lemon juice helps if you don't have problems with nausea. I also have been able to eat like 4 wheat thins with a teaspoon or two of hummus, canned vegetables are easiest so far carrots, green beans, cauliflower-steamed till it's very soft, acorn squash, sweet potatoes. I haven't been using butter on anything or any condiments other than lemon and salt and pepper. Which I thought would be really hard for me cuz I was a condiment junkie mayo, tartar sauce,the richest dressing , ketchup all of that...but too much flavor now makes me feel sick. Yea lol
  13. JenMN
    JenMN
    I didn't realize most of you are in your 3rd weeks so here's what I was eating in my 3rd and 4th weeks same quantities 1/4 cup protien 1/4 cup fruits or vegeatbles. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, canned fruits in water, pureed vegetables or really over cooked to be mushy, a poached egg, a slice and a half of cheese which is 1 oz . If I didn't feel like eating I would occassionally drink about 8oz of a protein shake. But I was told after the 2nd week no more protein shakes or milk accept a teaspoon or two for cream of wheat. And sip,sip,sip, all the time! When I wouldn't keep myself hydrated I felt like crap, weak,tired, nauseated,headaches,constipation, and it hurt to eat anything if I was not hydrated.