Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Changes in my sugar level?

1. Abgg311
    Abgg311
    Hello,

Have any of you guys already been sleeved? How did it affect your diabetes? I'm told I may not need the medication after I start losing weight. I hope so!
  2. joanaheter
    joanaheter
    I am hoping also...
  3. deray74
    deray74
    I went from using an insulin pump with high doses of insulin 24\7 to only using 15 units twice a day. I am now starting to wean myself off of insulin. Slowly but surely I will be off insulin altogether. Can't wait until the day I don't have to give myself shots ;0)
  4. halfthemaniusedobe
    halfthemaniusedobe
    Was sleeved at Clearview Medical Center in Monroe, Ga. by Dr Chris Ibikunle at Georgia Surgicare in Loganville, Ga. It was Laparoscopic Davinci Robot assisted, took two hours, and I spent 2 days in in the Hospital then went home.
    I was 425 in January.....384 on day of surgery.....and now I am 358!!!! WHAT!!!! I feel worlds better!!!

I have been on Metformin and Glyburide for over 5 years. My A1C was 11.5 in 2008, 7.9 before surgery. and now is 5.4
    I haven't had to take a diabetic pill for 5 weeks and my sugars have only been as high as 133.....Game Changer!!!

As a nurse that works in the the Operating room where I had my procedure done, I was AMAZED at how our top of the line technology, smart OR, and Davinci system combine to give an awesome patient experience!!! I always knew I gave good patient care.....but I was even more impressed as a patient!
  5. Seja
    Seja
    I had my surgery 9/25/13 and have been off all my diabetic meds since. I was on a pump and Metformin before surgery. I feel great. It is so freeing. My am sugars are a little high - like 130's but during the day they are perfect. My endocrinologist didn't want to restart Insulin because she was afraid I would bottom out. I have not eaten any carbs other than oatmeal yet and I am kind of afraid to. I really want to stay off meds. This surgery can be an amazing cure for diabetes if you follow thru with what you have to do to keep it that way. Yeah!
  6. Salenah
    Salenah
    thank you for the info!!!!! Blessings!!!
  7. Kathysangels
    Kathysangels
    Sigh -
    I am the opposite.
    I have never been on insulin shots - ever.
    I was on Metformin 100mg for the past year or so.
    While in the hospital they gave me Lantus and I thought it was only for the surgery post op.
    However, I now left the hospital insulin dependent - what a crock! For whatever reason, my sugar is all over the place. In the hospital it registered around 140-176, which they watched carefully and gave me shots twice a day (????)
    Since I have been home - the first 3-4 days I registered in the 130-140 range - great! THEN, all of a sudden it is now in the 160-190 range - WHY??? Nobody seems to know for sure. They said my body is just taking time to adjust following the surgery. However, I am heartsick. I also wanted to have this surgery to help me get off all diabetic meds and now I am on Lantus - I am really in a funk over this.
    The overall decision is that I take my sugars 2-3 times a day and if I register over 150 then I am to take a 10 mg dose. Not cool!!!!
    Hopefully this is the only negative I have to face with this surgery. For only 12 days post - op this is a real downer for me.
    Good news - my post op showed me 14# down since surgery and #45 total since I started program in January.
    Hugs,
    Kathy