Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New to Group and Site

1. poopdollar
    poopdollar
    Hi Everyone, So glad I found this site and this group. I'm required to go to a seminar in a few weeks, see the nurse practitioner, and go from there. Can anyone enlighten me as to what may follow? I'm 62 years old and in pain; hoping this will ease my pain and improve my quality of life. I've been overweight my entire life, but in the last ten years or so it has gotten out of control. After reading some of the posts I believe I'm in the right place. The interaction, advise, and support shown on this site is awesome.

Connie
  2. dawnbarnard
    dawnbarnard
    Although I am officially (as of Sunday) not in the 300 pound club anymore (the scale finally moved to 296.7) THANK GOD! BUT, I was there. I was sleeve on 4/2. The seminars are good info. Take notes. Research. Pray. This is a big decision and isn't a cure-all. I still want to eat and still have that empty feeling although my stomach hasn't growled since surgery. I do however, get to feeling empty. I still have bad habits to overcome and you will too. I do have more energy and a better quality of life, although I'm only down 47 pounds. Do a good pre-op diet. The doctor may not suggest it but do it anyway. I seen and heard stories of people who didn't do a good pre op diet and totally got sick after surgery. With my BMI, I did a 2 weeks pre op diet and lost 14 pounds. While on it, I did protein shakes and salad and chicken or fish. The first 3 or 4 days after coming off of carbs sucked but after then it got easier. Just read a lot and ask questions. All of us have been there.....
  3. MSJSC
    MSJSC
    Really great post Dawn, thank you.
  4. DaleLanc
    DaleLanc
    Connie, from my experience of aches and pains at 52 feeling like I was an 82 year old in poor health, the pain greatly subsides and quality of life vastly improves in a few short months. And that's a foundation for a much more fulfilling life--putting life back your years!
  5. katente
    katente
    You all are doing find. You can do this for our health. So continue to ROCK your sleeve.
  6. poopdollar
    poopdollar
    Thanks for the input. I've been reading, researching, and attending a support group every two weeks. It seems the best information comes from those who've had the surgery. I'm moving to a small apartment of my own in a couple of weeks and intend to only stock what I should eat; if it is there I will eat it. My daughter and her family live in my house and I'm giving it to them in order to live alone again and not have a large house to take care of. Her husband is Latino and the dishes she prepares every night are to "die for"..lol..I'm sure you all know what I mean, so living alone will help me immensely.
  7. Breen
    Breen
    Hello everyone! Glad I found some folks that can relate to my size. Getting sleeved on July 17th!
  8. lisa2job
    lisa2job
    Hello everyone even though I am no longer over 300 any more I thought this group could relate to what I am going through. I got sleeved 10 months ago, wowsa cant believe its been that long already, my starting weight was 338 down to 229 right now but wanting to be under 200 and its been going really slow lately... grrr when I look in the mirror I still see the big girl and when I shop I still shop at the big stores even though I am a size 14/16 .... anyhow hello everyone
  9. LisaNunu
    LisaNunu
    Welcome to our group and I totally relate to you. I am 53 and already having trouble getting around. That is what pushed me to do this surgery - I am tired of hurting all of the time and not being able to do anymore. I am scheduled for surgery the 15th. Do all of the pre-op stuff - there will be a bunch of tests, classes and information thrown at you - just take your time and go through it. You will do wonderful and we are all going to get our health and life back! That is really exciting!
  10. Angeline
    Angeline
    Hello, I am new to the group, too. I had surgery on the 11th of July 2013. I am 28 pounds down and was told by the surgeon to expect to lose another 3 or so in the next few weeks because I've lost so much right after surgery. My process to get here was fourteen months. It was Doctor supervised diet, along with the insurance company calling to verify my diet choices. What took so long was my husband's employer had a computer system upgrade, which delayed my surgery, and the insurance company changed their parameters by which I would get the surgery, in that they needed to speak with me every month. But! I finally had the surgery!

My one question is this to everyone, how long did you feel weak after surgery? I was told by the nurse practitioner when I was released from the hospital on the 12th to immediately get on a stationery bike. I would have loved to, but could not. I have been walking. And that helps.

I am averaging approximately 650 calories a day, with 75 grams of protein. I do not crave carbohydrates, which I am thrown by because I was the queen of KFC!

I am looking forward to cheering others on and be cheered on in this new journey in my life.

Poopdollar, I am forty four, and have been heavy my entire life, and I too felt I was losing control of what little I had control over, which wasn't much! I thought for a long time that I had control over my food, but it became so very evident I didn't. My husband is an awesome support, as are our two sons.

It's great to meet all of you!
  11. poopdollar
    poopdollar
    Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since I was on here. I guess I've been "jumping through hoops" for my sleeve surgery. And also, didn't feel like there was really anything to report. I finally had appointment with surgeon; I do not have a date yet because I have to also meet the anesth. team and another nutritionist; thankfully on the same day. My surgeon gave me a guesstimate and it will more than likely be in mid April; only a couple of months. I have started stocking things little by little, I have started switching brands and kinds of foods. I am Off the Soda....woo-hoo...big deal for me. I'm drinking ice tea when I get up and water for the rest of the day. Sometimes milk for dinner. I'm starting a 1400 calorie diet the first Sunday in March. I have prepared a menu for that diet and trying to be more active. I just did order a DVD yesterday for exercising in a chair; I have issues (lol, enough said). Any suggestions for preparation would be appreciated. I hope everyone is keeping the faith and losing the weight....Connie