Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Logistics: Did you stay at hotel then check out, then check back in after night at hospital?

1. CookieHead
    CookieHead
    I am trying to plan my surgery date and am not sure how the hotel and hospital stay works, and how long I should plan to be in TJ. I am planning to ask my contact during the work week, but thought I'd also post here to learn how others did this.
    Also- did you plan your stay to be longer, and if so, for how many days, and was this for sight seeing or as "just in case" you needed follow up visit to the dr?

For example:
    Did you
    Day 1: fly in to San Diego. get picked up at San Diego airport by the van and be taken straight to the hospital for tests, etc and surgery same day?
    Stay overnight at hospital.
    Day 2: Check in at hotel. Stay at hotel. (with a visit to the hospital?)
    Day 3: Fly home

or
    Day 1: fly in. Go to hospital for tests. Check in to Hotel
    Day 2: Check out of hotel, go to hospital for surgery. Stay overnight at hospital
    Day 3: Check Back into the hotel?
    ?
  2. Dawzow
    Dawzow
    Yep!
    Day 1: fly in stay at hotel
    Day 2: check out of hotel, Check into hospital
    Day 3: stay in hopaital
    Day 4: check out of hospital, then into hotel for 2 more nights.
  3. tski3022
    tski3022
    On day 1 I flew in to San Diego, got picked up, and went directly to the hospital for blood and EKG. We then went to the hotel for the night. The next morning I checked out of the hotel and went to hospital for surgery. I ended up staying 2 nights in the hospital (nights 2 and 3) due to vomiting from the anesthesia. I checked back into the hotel for night 4. The next morning I checked back out and headed home. If you bring someone with you I don't think you have to check out of the hotel. I was by myself. I hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery.
  4. 3bandds
    3bandds
    I flew into San Diego with a friend, got picked up by van, went to hotel in TJ checked in, stayed the night, they did my blood work in the morning (day of surgery) I stayed the night in the hospital- I didn't go into surgery until approx 7:30 pm, came out from anesthesia about 9, stayed until about 8 am (maybe earlier) and went back to the same room- my friend stayed the night in the hotel (same room) while I was in the hospital. I didn't check out until we left for the airport. 4 nights Sunday - Wednesday. Left on Thursday
  5. apricot41
    apricot41
    3bandds... you didn't have surgery till 730 at night? Wow. I hope I don't have to wait around all day!
  6. Luann
    Luann
    I was picked up at the airport on a Monday, driven to TJ, went straight to hospital for labs & EKG since I was the first case tuesday morning.
    Checked into TJ Marriott, slept the night.
    Checked out, went to hospital, there tuesday & wednesday night - left in the afternoon on Thursday because I felt like crap / vomiting still & insisted on at least talking to Dr. Lopez before I was discharged.
    Went back to Marriott, stayed there Thursday & Friday night - driven across border back to San Diego on Saturday for my flight back.
    I felt pretty bad on Friday, Dr. Lopez stays in the hotel so he can be close to his patients. When my coordinator called to check on me, he, another doctor & my driver where there checking on me in my hotel room within a few minutes.
    I was seen by Dr. Lopez and the assistant surgeon every day except my arrival & departure days.
  7. CookieHead
    CookieHead
    thanks everyone!
  8. Lolo2
    Lolo2
    We did not check out of hotel so my companion had a comfortable place to sleep and nice places to eat. Would do the same again, didnt need her with me all the time.