Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Bakersfield

1. Mick
    Mick
    Is anyone else on here in Bakersfield? Kaiser? Just curious.

The mandatory class (Kaiser) I am in started out with 40 and more than half have dropped out by wk 10. It is a 12 wk class and you have to make up any classes or weekly food and exercise logs before you can be referred for surgery. The class is for RuenY, Lap Band and Gastric sleeve.

Reading the posts on this forum has been very helpful to me as to what to expect after the surgery. I had a tripple bypass (heart) in '05 so I kind know that the first few days might be rough but surely not as rough as my heart surgery was.
    They told us in class that the risks increase if you are male, over 60 and have certain other problems. I don't have the other problems but the male and over 60 I am stuck with. Not complaining. Happy with who I am but not with how i am.

Just ramblin'.

2. Anita
    Anita
    Hi, I live in Bakersfield, I did go through the class from March-May 2011, with Kaiser. I am so glad there is actually another person from Bako here. Anyways, so whats the status with you. Are you going to start over?
  3. Mick
    Mick
    Sorry to answer so late.

I will finish my 12th class this Tuesday and I have one to make up jan 3rd.

I have not lost any weight at all. Just trying to maintain through the holidays.

had my upper gi and gall bladder scan about four days ago.

Several people in my church are going to have the surgery and a couple already have and they encourage us. This forum is just loaded with info and i get encouraged evrytime I get on it.

I am 63 and a little worried about that because the risks increase with age they tell me. My wife is very supportive and that helps. We just had out 42nd anniversary.

Maybe we can start a support group at our church. I think there are 5 or six of us.

4. Anita
    Anita
    That sounds great, may I ask what church do you attend?
    I think the hardest part is sticking to the classes and getting through the first hurdle and then after surgery, Well?? we cant go back, so its a good thing because all you have to gain lol...is losing weight.
  5. Mick
    Mick
    Sorry again! I was waiting for an email notification on this topic and just found your response. I attend the First Pentecostal Church at 1418 West Columbus. Right across the street from Food Max. We have a lot of class rooms and a small chapel that would be ideal for a support group.

I have completed all the classes except one that i have to make up on Jan. 3rd. I should be getting an appointment for my consultation with the doctor that day, I hope.

I wonder if we could get a Christian group together on this forum? Or at least a faith oriented one where we could request prayer and pray for the concerns of one another without offending others that do not feel comfortable with that
  6. Anita
    Anita
    Hi, its okay, I forget to check this site on occasion. I hope everything went well today!
    Thats sounds good. I attend Liberty Christian off of McKee Road; South end of Bakersfield. I really need to get back to eating healthy again. I think the holidays really got me back to bad eating habits, but I know I can get back on track. Well, if you would like let me know how class went. Talk to you later.
  7. Mick
    Mick
    Big disappointment! They told me I was missing two exercise logs from the last two classes. I know I turned them in but Lou said she did not have them and...they threw away the ones that had no names on them.

Now i am caught up and waiting for an appointment with the doc. Terry said that may take another month.

8. Anita
    Anita
    Believe it or not, that is fast. I had my appointment two weeks after our class ended. If your having trouble with finding new stuff to eat that is good for us, try theworldaccordingtoeggface.com, she has really good ideas for shakes and food. Keep up the good work.
  9. Mick
    Mick
    Great! I will check it out.
    I am going to try to do a partial liquid diet to lose something before my consultation.

PS I learned how to subscribe to threads so I will be answering much quicker, Lord willing.
  10. Mick
    Mick
    Back in the Options class again.
  11. Mick
    Mick
    Back in the Options class again. Did not have the surgery and gained all my weight back so they insist that I go through the classes all over again.
  12. Denise*661
    Denise*661
    Mick! What your status.? I live close to bakersfield
  13. Mick
    Mick
    Waiting on medical clearance. I think today is the final hoop before I see the doc and he puts me on a liquid diet. I have a cardiac appointment for a stress test in about an hour from now. Should be ok.

14. Denise*661
    Denise*661
    Awesome Mick! I sent you a friend request let me know how it goes. Also where are you planing on getting the surgery at?
  15. Traci
    Traci
    Hi! A little behind but so happy to find some Bakersfield / Kaiser people. I think with Kaiser our journey is a lot different then others. And its nice to have someone who knows exactly what we have to do in the classes. I am in week 5 of the classes and down 20 pounds. Have had a rough two weeks, hoping i can keep the wait off and continue to loose until surgery. Mick are you done with classes now?
  16. Mick
    Mick
    You are doing AWESOME. I did not lose anything through my classes but I did not try to either, I just did not want to gain any. I know the doc is going to put me on a liquid diet and tell me to lose 30-40 lbs like he did last time. You really begin to see the value of those classes when you see the post on this forum from folks that did not get the info you are getting. On the other hand, you are learning stuff on these kinds of forums that you will not learn in the classes. If they have done it already they will bring in some folks that have already had the surgery so that they can share their experiences. Reading posts on this forum is like having a lot more of those testimonies. Read as much as you can on here. The more you learn the more confidence you will have in this surgery.
    There used to be a bakersfield group on facebook also.