Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Bad head cold 5 days post op

1. ellymae71281
    ellymae71281
    Yeah, I am that lucky. Last night I barely slept, and I have a really really bad head cold. The day I left the hospital I kind of felt like I may have had one coming on, but yesterday, there was no doubt...

I need to sleep! Does anyone know what I can take for this 5 days post op?
  2. azladyrider
    azladyrider
    I took Dayquil no problem - I can't take Nyquil anyway just for my own sake and it makes me too groggy for a few days but I had no issues with the Dayquil. I was a month out but I wouldn't think that was much of a difference. Good luck flu season sucks
  3. julrs13
    julrs13
    you need to be careful about what you take for colds. if you took something before your surgery without any problems you are probably safe taking it for today. You should call you doctor in the morning because a lot of the OTC cold meds have bad side effects for some people. I am a nurse, so worry about the side effects. I would recommend Tylenol and hot liquids and as much sleep as you can get. Stand in a hot shower if you can or if you have a humidifier that will help too. Hope you feel better soon. Colds are the worst. Also, if you are coughing, ouch! your pain meds with codeine in them will suppress the cough so you don't pull on your incisions.
  4. ellymae71281
    ellymae71281
    Azladyrider, I usually can handle Dayquil with no problem...I'm just worried about taking it so close to my surgery date.

Julrs13, Yeah, I am coughing. Last night I woke up with a bad coughing fit! Unfortunately, I was sleeping so I couldn't cover my stomach before it began and today, my tummy is pretty sore. I am trying to avoid narcotics though. As of Tuesday, I have to go back to the mommy duties of getting kids to school and picking them up.

I guess the doctors get to hear from me again...I hate having to call them over a cold!
  5. missemily516
    missemily516
    I got a cold a few days after my surgery, I called my Dr's office and they said I could take anything with Tylenol in it....including NyQuil and DayQuil. I was so relieved. I am still sick but seem to be on the mend....