Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

New group!

1. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Hi everyone! I noticed that Dr Ortiz didn't have a group and I figured I should change that.

I have my surgery in just 2 weeks and I am so excited!

I felt like I was spinning my wheels researching and always finding that "deal breaker" with other surgeons, and then I found Dr Ortiz and OCC. I am confident that my experience is going to be the best it could be and that I'll be a totally different me (well, really back to the REAL me!) this time next year.

I would love to hear some experiences from others who have already been sleeved by him.

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a fabulous 2013 where we are all healthier, happier and thinner!
  2. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    I still keep researching to find negative things and it's pretty hard to come by anything bad! I did find one bad lap-band review, but then again it's the band. Looking forward to getting rid of mine! I'm 7 weeks out so definitely looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  3. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    I will absolutely keep everyone posted - this forum has been an amazing resource for me with all those already on the sleeved side posting their experiences and advice and I plan to "pay it forward" once I'm there.

And I couldn't find anything bad either. I came across something negative about all my other top 4 surgeons, but I just couldn't find anyone unhappy who has been sleeved by him. Everyone raves!!!
  4. barrbdoll
    barrbdoll
    HI there... Just joined the group!! Dr. Ortiz is the BEST!! I had my surgery with him in April and I don't have one negative thing to say!!! Love everyone at OCC!!!
  5. BeccaDawn
    BeccaDawn
    I'm having my surgery on the 15th also. A few questions for anyone that has already gone through it... What type of pain meds do they give you immediately post surgery and after? I recently had foot surgery and had issues keeping the pain controlled. Do they typically insert a catheter? Is there any great shops that are safe walking distance, and would you walk there alone? I'm going to be there a week (revision recovery), and I am going alone. Lastly, is there anything that you wish you would have brought with you to make recovery easier? Thanks in advance for any tips or advise! I'm getting so excited to have this behind me! Hope to see you there Texas Girl! ;-)
  6. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    I'm also going down by myself and for band to sleeve revision. I think I'd be more of a nut if I had someone with me as I always get more emotional when there is someone with me. Not sure why! I've had quite a few surgeries so I know some of what to expect, was so nervous before one that I just wanted to walk out of the hospital until a nurse walked by, saw how nervous I was and added an IV cocktail. Bless her!

Biggest concern for me is the boredom after a few recovery days. Surgery Monday and release on Saturday! I imagine Thur & Friday will be boring so looking to do a facial or something one of those days.
  7. BeccaDawn
    BeccaDawn
    Wonder if they have those IV cocktails in Mexico?! I have also had numerous surgeries, but ever since my appendix ruptured and the whole emergency surgery thing, I have started having major anxiety! Because my BP was really low (only 75/40) they tried 8 times to get a vein. I almost passed out from anxiety over the IV last month when I had foot surgery. It took her 3 trys to get a good vein. I think I will let the anesthesiologist know that as soon as they find a good one, they will need to start something to calm me down while I wait for the actual surgery! Jeez, my palms are getting sweaty just thinking about it!
  8. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    My biggest fear is about the IV too! I have REALLY, REALLY, REALLY small and uncooperative veins. I can't tell you how many times the first nurse to try hasn't been able to do it and I get all bruised up from them poking and trying to find the vein.

Finally, I had one extremely skilled nurse go get this tiny little needle called a "butterfly needle" and she nailed it on the first try. She told me to always ask for one and since then, it's been MUCH better for me.

That being said, I know I will obviously be very dehydrated for fasting the day of surgery and I don't know if they have butterfly needles down there!
  9. kreid
    kreid
    I am usually most worried about the IV too. I am not booked yet but think I will be soon. Wish I could go when someone on here is going, I think I would feel better. I am from Alabama btw.
  10. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Welcome!! What time frame are you looking at booking?
  11. kreid
    kreid
    I would like to book in February I am working on the money.
  12. rIckyswife
    rIckyswife
    HElp, I don't even know where to begin, so I am starting here, this is my surgeon of choice after researching, but I have yett od do anything further than start researching and begin to try and get the money together.....

I feel silly, but I want to know so I am going to ask and pray that someone has mercy on me and answers...

How far out is your surgery date usually scheduled from the time of first contact?
    Like if I have money together next week and call... how does it work?

What about follow up... I want to use my PCP and am confident she will be on board.

In order to get the money I might have to cash in some 401...... but I think this is a bigger investment in my future at this point in my life.

Is their anyone else who is just a step or two ahead of me that can point me in the right direction??

I need help, just googling away is causing anxiety.... so much info....
  13. Socaldixiegal
    Socaldixiegal
    As to the timing, I reached out to them through the website initally only asking for information via email. After reading through everything I decided to move forward. The next step was picking a surgery date and paying a deposit. After that I received tons of information from them. You will likely be asked to lose 5 - 10% of your starting weight in time for the surgery so give yourself enough time for that.

The remainder of the payment can be wired or done via certified check. You have to send them a copy of the check at least 2 weeks before surgery and bring the actual check with you to surgery.

I'm meeting with my PCP 2 weeks prior to surgery so he's aware of everything and he's doing a pre-surgery clearance. They don't require, but it gives me the peace of mind that I'm fully healthy before going down there.

I've also researched my insurance and learned that they do cover life threatening emergencies encountered after non-covered procedures. So, if something does happen I'm at least covered.

Good luck! I just felt after all the research that Dr. Ariel Ortiz was a fantastic choice.
  14. fwalman
    fwalman
    Hi Everyone Great having a group for Dr Ortiz!! I had a gastric sleeve done by him September 2011 and had a marvelous experience!! It all started with seeing him on Oprah and it was something I had NEVER even considered. I have struggled with weight my whole life and ate very modestly but still carried 80 extra pounds. I did lots of research and told few people as most think you are crazy going to Mexico for surgery. It could not have been better!!! I am now 75 lbs lighter and have never looked back. The MOST exciting part was that 2 DAYS after surgery I was completely off my 2x a day insulin [ gastric sleeve very good for that] and shortly thereafter off my high blood pressure meds. The pain etc was neglible and I would highly recommend the procedure AND OCC and Dr Ortiz. Good luck to Everyone recently sleeved and upcoming. You will be pinching yourselves in no time.
    Hugs Anne
  15. MsEchelonSuper
    MsEchelonSuper
    I'm new here but am happy to have found this group as well. I haven't had surgery or even a date yet but I am sure that I'll be going to Dr Ortiz.
  16. HoosierGirl
    HoosierGirl
    Rickyswife:

HElp, I don't even know where to begin, so I am starting here, this is my surgeon of choice after researching, but I have yett od do anything further than start researching and begin to try and get the money together.....

I feel silly, but I want to know so I am going to ask and pray that someone has mercy on me and answers...

How far out is your surgery date usually scheduled from the time of first contact? <<They will work with you on selecting your date. They can tell you if your preferred dates are available.>>
    Like if I have money together next week and call... how does it work? <<Contact a patient coordinator or give them a call, tell them your date and that you are ready, they will send a link for payment.>>

What about follow up... I want to use my PCP and am confident she will be on board. <<You will receive surgery notes that you can take to your PCP. By the time you leave, you have been seen by the surgeon's staff 3 times. Any surgery questions can be directed to their office via phone or email. My PCP has been helping me get off my BP meds. So it is the same as most US surgeons as far as follow up.>>

In order to get the money I might have to cash in some 401...... but I think this is a bigger investment in my future at this point in my life. <<AGREE!>>

Is their anyone else who is just a step or two ahead of me that can point me in the right direction?? <<I had VSG surgery with Dr. Ortiz at the OCC on February 4, 2013. You can message me for more details.>>

I need help, just googling away is causing anxiety.... so much info.... <<You are wise to get all your questions answered now and understand completely what you are getting for your investment. GOOD LUCK!>>
  17. LLM2012
    LLM2012
    I am so glad this group is here now. I started looking into the surgery about 6 months ago and came across this site. I had thought I was going to go with the first Dr I found, but the more I looked into him and his facility I decided that it was not the right thing for me to do. So I started looking at the other options available to me since I am self pay. I found Dr. Ortiz and OCC so I came back on here and could not find much about him. I was disappointed that there was not a group for Dr. Ortiz so I have not been back on much.

Just this month I have decided to go for it. I have the $ part figured out and my family is on board with us doing this. My sister and I are both getting sleeved on April 3, 2013. We have paid our deposit and just booked our flights. So I thought I would check out this site again since I am really doing it. I am just so glad to see more people with positive experiences with Dr. Ortiz, it really does make me feel better. I also watch a lot of YouTube, but again I don't see very many who have been to Dr. Ortiz.

Good luck to everyone!
    Thanks for being here.
    Laila
  18. Texas Girl
    Texas Girl
    Congrats Laila! What a wonderful experience for you and your sister to do this together. You will absolutely LOVE Dr Ortiz and his staff - you'll be in great hands!
  19. gologo
    gologo
    I'm so looking forward to my VSG appointment with Dr. Ortiz next month! I hope he's everything everyone says he is!
  20. fiddlechickpatti
    fiddlechickpatti
    Hi! I had my sleeve with Dr. Ortiz on Jan. 16 this year and I loved him and his staff. I have had no complications and feel amazing. As of today I am 70 pounds down, and the only regret I have is that I didn't have the surgery sooner.

Just discovered this gastric sleeve forum, so I look forward to reading the posts!

Patti
  21. girlie76
    girlie76
    I am very happy i found this group, I have been thinking about doing to sleeve for over a year now, and life has settled down now and its I feel this is the time to take care of me. I wont lie I am very nervous and very scared, and going out of country to do this is also a little unsetttling, so anthing that any one can honestly tell me about Dr Ortiz, the OCC, Staying at the Marriott and about pre and post surgery wold be appreciated!!
    Reading the posts above are very helpful as I havent found on line how you can truly find out about Mexican Doctors and if the OCC are being truthful about being an accrediated US Hospital.
    Thank You
  22. girlie76
    girlie76
    I am very happy i found this group, I have been thinking about doing to sleeve for over a year now, and life has settled down now and its I feel this is the time to take care of me. I wont lie I am very nervous and very scared, and going out of country to do this is also a little unsetttling, so anthing that any one can honestly tell me about Dr Ortiz, the OCC, Staying at the Marriott and about pre and post surgery wold be appreciated!!
    Reading the posts above are very helpful as I havent found on line how you can truly find out about Mexican Doctors and if the OCC are being truthful about being an accrediated US Hospital.
    Thank You
  23. lori123
    lori123
    Hello,
    I'm scheduled for October 7. My decision was easy because my sister and brother in law both had Dr Ortiz do their sleeves. They had done the research and they are both doctors. Their surgery went well with little pain and no problems.
    I'm impatient to get there.
  24. Kindle
    Kindle
    Lori123, as doctors, what were the deciding factors of why your sister and brother in law chose Dr. Ortiz for their WLS's?
  25. Rades69
    Rades69
    After doing a lot of research (some may consider it compulsive) I decided on Dr. A Ortiz @OCC...Then I found this amazing forum, and it reiterates EVERYTHING I have researched. Thank you all for your honesty and sharing your stories. Although I am still nervous, my fears are becoming less and less. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers on Halloween (yes, Halloween )
  26. Shanner
    Shanner
    How many days did everyone stay? I have my surgery scheduled for Nov 11/13, which is a Monday, but my plan wasn't to fly out until Friday, just to make sure there aren't any issues. I live in Canada, so it's a bit of a ways for me to go back. Will it be a problem for me to stay at the hotel extra nights?
  27. Promise20000
    Promise20000
    I think I would have picked him BUT $6500 is what I just got quoted! Everyone else in TJ is $4100 to $4700.

but I am i my research still so we shall see.