Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Considering traveling to Mexico for procedure

1. Lcardullo
    Lcardullo
    Hello,

I'm a newbie to this site/group - found it when researching some options for having the gastric sleeve done in Mexico. I live in FL and my insurance does not cover the procedure. I am 54 years old, have type 2 diabetes that is not well controlled mainly due to my eating. I am at a point where I feel this is the best option for me but I cannot afford 20k to have the procedure done locally. I am considering Dr. Almanaza at the Jerusalem Clinic and would love to hear from others who have used him or anyone with recommendations. One of my biggest concerns is what happens if complications develop. Does anyone know how that would be handled from an insurance perspective? Also, I've heard that you go home with stitches in and need to find someone to remove them or remove them yourself. Any insight that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Also, what about returning to work....I would a full time demanding (but sedantary) position. How soon have others been able to return to work full time.

Thanks!

Linda
  2. MrsPiggy549
    MrsPiggy549
    The greatest risk following this surgery is a leak. Before you leave MX you will be tested for leakage. It is unusual for a leak to develop after being tested. My dermatologist removed my sutures; only 5 small ones. In the event of an emergency, a US hospital cannot turn you away...That's what emergency rooms are for! Speak with your doctors, in FL, and ask if he/she will remove your sutures; a very easy procedure. The care in Mexico is excellent and no doctor has more experience than Dr. Almanza...He performs 5-6 surgeries daily. I will be returning to jerusalem for a tummy tuck, as soon as I lose my last few pounds. Having the sleeve was the best thing I ever did for my health, aside from quitting smoking. i am 63 and only wish it was available when I was in my 30's! Good luck, you will be fabulous. BTW, I had to stop taking my blood pressure meds, 1 week after surgery and my glucose level went from 110 to 75...Amazing, no? Believe me, you have nothing to lose except weight and everything to gain, as far as improved health!
  3. fwalman
    fwalman
    Hi there, First of all good for you for exploring this option. I was 55 when I had it done a year ago and a year later I have lost 77 lbs and have NEVER felt better. Also type 2 diabetes and was completely off my insulin 2 days after having the gastric sleeve which is the procedure recommended for diabetics. Also off my high blood pressure as well. I had it done with Dr Ortiz of the Obesity ControlCenter who I saw on Oprah which is what started the whole thing. I stayed in hospital 1 1/2 days and went back for checks each day for 3 other days and flew home the fifth day. Usually there is very few or no stitches as surgical glue is used as the incisions are tiny. I paid for my own and it is the best investment in your future that you can imagine!!! Dont hesitate to email me for more encouragement or info at annewalmsley5@gmail.com
    Take care
    Anne
  4. MrsPiggy549
    MrsPiggy549
    Work? I'm retired but was back to my usual routine within 2-weeks (including the time in Mexico). We all heal at a different pace. More than anything else, your attitude will determine your recovery. I wanted this surgery so badly, nothing was going to stop my success!
  5. connie
    connie
    Hi Linda- Welcome. I am with MrsPiggy---I wanted this so badly that there was nothing going to stop me from getting it. I too wish I had found this procedure in my 30's. I had my surgery August 19, 2011---down 77 lbs. IT IS THE BEST GIFT I EVER GAVE MYSELF!!!! I have never felt better (age 56--I think?) Do not be afraid to ask any questions. I had Dr Almanza as well as MrsPiggy---the stitches are no big deal---recovery was no big deal. The 3rd day after surgery I was walking around SD zoo!!! Blessings to you---Connie
  6. connie
    connie
    Hi Linda- Welcome. I am with MrsPiggy---I wanted this so badly that there was nothing going to stop me from getting it. I too wish I had found this procedure in my 30's. I had my surgery August 19, 2011---down 77 lbs. IT IS THE BEST GIFT I EVER GAVE MYSELF!!!! I have never felt better (age 56--I think?) Do not be afraid to ask any questions. I had Dr Almanza as well as MrsPiggy---the stitches are no big deal---recovery was no big deal. The 3rd day after surgery I was walking around SD zoo!!! Blessings to you---Connie
  7. LWillowwood
    LWillowwood
    Absolutely got to Mexico!! I was caught in the insurance/Medicare red tape muddle and had no other choice in the US, I did in March and I have lost 55 of the 80 lbs I needed to lose. I had a VSG with Dr. Ramos-Kelly and overall it was a wonderful experience. The only thing I can say is that I wish I knew more Spanish than I do The hospital was not the gleaming shiny new 10 story steel structure that you might expect in major city US hospitals but it was exactly like the rural hospital I grew up with in Hawaii so I wasn't at all nervous. The OR was gleaming and the doctors were all great. They spent more time with me than ANY doctor ever has in the US (except for my neurologist who is just incredible). As someone mentioned - you will be checked for leakage before you leave (2 days before with Dr. Ramos) and they give you all your records and films to bring back with you to the US. I have multiple sclerosis so we many had other medical problems that had to be considered but Dr. Ramos got us through everything like a champ. He even fixed my hiatal hernia while he was in there! Go for it!! You WON'T be sorry. You just need to remember that the procedure is a tool - you still have to watch what you eat. I've reached the stage where my stomach has stretched out a bit and I find that I am able to make bad choices and slow down my progress (cheeseburgers - cheesecake - cake of any kind actually ) so I need to watch what I eat - Luckily I can't gorge on the wrong foods like I used to! But I do find that I can "graze" eating little bits of the wrong things over the day - so you will want to make sure you watch yourself for that behavior 6-9 months out. Anyway - long way around to ...GO FOR IT!! Good luck and congrats...
  8. Band2Sleeve
    Band2Sleeve
    Hello all...I'm also planning to go to Mexico for my surgery in exactly two weeks. My surgeon will be Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez at the Obesity Control Center. Like you, LCardullo, I've had lots of concerns about going to Mexico. Seems like some days I feel braver than others. I will be paying out of pocket, too. In fact, sending in my payment is something that I will have to do by the end of this week at the latest. In my mind, this is the point of no return for me. I've had thoughts about changing my mind and just accepting that I'll be stuck with a screwed up lapband floating around in my body for the rest of my life. I struggle with the idea of being over 50 and attempting something like this. I'm also worried about being able to lose weight at all anymore. With the lapband and being over 50 I'm afraid my metabolism is totally messed up now. Wish I could offer some reassurance and positive encouragement right now. Thank you for your post. It just helps to know there are others out there going through the same thing at least.
  9. LeslieF
    LeslieF
    Hi everyone! I am going to add my two cents! I had my sleeve done in May 2011. That puts me at 17 months out. I have lost over 100 pounds and am about 25 pounds away from goal. I was 53, recently widowed with 3 young kids! Needless to say that I wanted this badly. Yes, my insurance covered it but I didn't know that it would. Had I known I would have done this years ago. The trick (if you can call it a trick) is to follow what your doctor and dietician tell you and stay active. Don't blame not loosing on a post-50 metabolism. Quite frankly, many if not all of us are fairly sendentary and learning to get up and move is hard work.We need to "learn" to get up on exercise on a regular basis just as we need to "relearn" good eating habits. I am guilty of this. So in an effort to be encouraging, move....walk (do the Mall if you like)and stay active. Two days after my discharge from the hospital I was driving my kids around to their activities. Yeah, I was tired but that was about as far as I would go. If you have a positive mind-set and a strong tolerance for pain you would be surprised what you can do. If not, that is what pain meds are for!!!! Since I consider myself a work in progress- I am getting such compliments and I do tell them how I did it--and no, it was not the easy way out...I follow a meal plan and do what I need to in order to succeed. So to everyone on the journey to weight loss--have a good week!!!!
  10. vwpeery
    vwpeery
    I am a CNM, a nurse with a Master's degree, and I had a VGS in March 2012. I paid for it because my insurance company Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield would not pay for it after almost a year of working with that blasted insurance company. I was too healthy. Not enough co-morbidities. So my FNP and I decided to heck with them and went with Dr. Alvarez. Best decision ever!! Jerusalem Hospital, my original choice was half the price, but my research said that Dr. Alvarez was the best choice, and HE WAS! 100% professional and top notch. No regrets, 75 steady pounds loss after 7 months, now I still have 35-50 lbs to go (depending on how realistic a goal I have). My husband is happy, I am shrinking, I am off my meds, LIFE IS GOOD! I would never have done it on my own, though I tried to tell myself I might if the right diet/exercise/lifestyle change came along. VGS is not wishful thinking, this was physical change. No regrets. I do get nausea, lousy feeling if I eat too much. No grazing, 3 meals a day, plus protein drinks if I can tolerate them. I do not like the taste, but oh well, I need protein. Losing hair, but an okay trade-off for the weight loss. Take vitamins. Makes you feel better.
  11. amayzme
    amayzme
    All the comments seem to be from 2012...anybody still around to talk to here on December 2013?